Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:20:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

similar sounding songs

Started by european son, February 24, 2004, 03:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Must get round to reading this thread.  Has anyone mentioned that Erasure nick from Kincade's "Dreams Are Ten A Penny" for their single "A Little Respect."  

Hmm what else...there's my old favourite, "Taurus" by Spirit was ripped off by Led Zeppelin for "Stairway to Heaven."  TJ mentioned another steal to me once that is even more blatant...Teej?  Led Zep are notorious thieves anyway, I'll have to read back the thread to see what's been covered.  We're on 5 pages now so Oasis must have been looked at too, if not I can dig out that article I typed up from an old guitar mag and repost it.

As mentioned in the Pete Doherty thread that everyone is studiously ignoring, "The Man Who Would Be King" by The Libertines nicks from a few records, one I can't figure out yet (the intro is a direct lift that's pissing me off because I can't get it) and the outro steals "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers.  The rest of the song reminds me a lot of "Mr. Soft" by Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel.

Oh, "Disco 2000" by Pulp nicks the riff from Laura Brannigan's version of "Gloria," which Morris nicely parodied by using Blondie's "Atomic" riff in "Me Oh Myra."

Neil

The Sonic's took Chuck Berry's "Too Much Monkey Business" and gave it new lyrics for an Etiquette Xmas album, calling the new track "Don't Believe In Christmas."  Another of the tracks on that album, "Santa Claus", does the same with "Farmer John" by The Squires.  Presumably The Sonics thought it wasn't a big deal, but all three* Xmas tracks have ended up on the CD reissues of their stuff as bonus tracks, so it does make the theft look a bit cheekier than I'm sure it was intended to be!  

* The third one is called Village Idiot and is an amusing dick around with Jingle Bells.

gazzyk1ns

I was thinking the other day how Beck's excellent cover of Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime* has virtually the same opening few seconds as Don't Speak by No Doubt. I just downloaded the No Doubt tune to check and I suppose they're not really that much alike, but hopefully you can see what I mean.

*That is the actual title of the song, isn't it? No, it's called "I need your Lovin' (Like The Sunshine)", isn't it? Or is that that other tune? I dunno.

VernonKaySuicideWatch

Jamiroquai...

How many albums has he had now?  Five?  Six?  

All too similar.  I don't know how he gets away with it, it's fucking criminal.

And don't get me started on the fact he's a fucking knob.  

Oh, how I loved it when the dumb cackamuffin got a smack in the nose from that photographer.

Z/Sb

Suede's "Lazy" bares, in my opinion, an uncanny resemblance to Stephanie De Sykes' big 1974 hit "I Was Born With A Smile On My Face". She was once a girilfriend of Angus Deayton...allegedly.

The theme from "Prisoner: Cell Block H" by Lynne Hamilton sounds a lot like the Jimmy Webb-penned, Glen Campbell classic "Wichita Lineman".

Anyone else notice any of those resemblances or is it just me?

"Grimley Fiendish" by the Damned is reminiscent of "The Sun and The Rain" by Madness.

Talking of the Damned, their "Edward the Bear" is a dead ringer for ex-Damned Henry Badowski's classic (and one of my all-time favourite records) "Baby, Sign Here With Me".

Captain Sensible's brilliant masterpiece "Croydon" clearly simulates Procul Harem's "A Whiter Shade of Pale" (a classic song which I can't actually stand) at the start fo the record.

OMD's "Walking on the Milky Way" is obviously ripping off the Bowie/Hoople classic "All The Young Dudes". And, while I'm on the subject, I may as well mention the fact that the song "Move On" from Bowie's totally brilliant, classic 1979 album (and one of me favourites) "Lodger" is the riff to "All The Young Dudes" played backwards. Play it backwards if you haven't already...

There's an advert on German tv at the moment for Hugo bodyspray/aftershave/whatever it is. The music on it, to me, sounds very much like the guitar break in Pulp's "Joyriders". I don't know who's behind the music but I'm mentioning it just in case the ad is also shown in the UK so someone can confirm what I'm talking about...

And, finally, the 90s theme to ITV Sport, "You Are The Number One" (written by Charlie Skarbeck), is an absolute carbon copy of Chesney  Hawke's "The One And Only". The evidence can be heard on "The Best of British Television (24 Great TV Themes)" which also features the awesome full version of the theme from "Gladiators", "You Bet", "Blind Date", "Play Your Cards Right", "Bottom" (for those Bottom fans here that may want it), "Coronation Street", "Emmerdale" (the 90s version), "G.M.T.V", "The Bill", "Casualty" and many, many more... Oh, and Nick Berry's "Heartbeat". The album is long deleted and is a must for tv theme fans, seeing as it contains all the proper, full versions of the themes - except "Coronation Street" which is performed by the "Powerpack Orchestra" which isn't bad but it's just not the real deal - Izzy's reggae cover is closer to the genuine article than this lounge-tinged effort which suffers from being "too horny" (in the brass sense, I don't mean it's too erotic!)...

Neil

Here's one in quiz form, what song is this?  It's only 120k

phalmachine

Something by Ming Tea perhaps?

The start of Phantom of the Opera is always said to be ripped off from PF's Echoes. From when it builds up, just before Roger Waters funky bass bit.

Which Beatles song is it that's pretty much Mooonlight Sonata backwards? It's a Lennon-y one.

Edit: Like the file title too!

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "Z/Sb"Suede's "Lazy" bares, in my opinion, an uncanny resemblance to Stephanie De Sykes' big 1974 hit "I Was Born With A Smile On My Face". She was once a girilfriend of Angus Deayton...allegedly.
]

That and the theme from 'Scooby Doo, Where Are You?'

'Scooby dooby doo, where are you?....getting satellite and Sky, getting cable'

The verses of that Gwen Stefani solo single are the same as the verses in Weezer's 'Hash Pipe'.

Robot Devil

Quote from: "phalmachine"Which Beatles song is it that's pretty much Mooonlight Sonata backwards? It's a Lennon-y one.

"Because": http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/because.htm

foxprorawks

Quote from: "Mr Colossal"Incidentally, I also ended up with Donna Summer - Upside Down

I would love to end up with Donna Summer, upside down...

Z/Sb

The full version of the theme from "Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads" by "Highly Likely" is a total rip-off of The Beatles' "Let It Be" to the point of plagiarism - you actually end up singing "Let It Be" after a matter of time.

Agreed about that "Lazy"/Scooby Doo similarity - well spotted!
Talking of Suede, their song "Pieces of My Mind" (from the "She's In Fashion" single cd1, track 3) clearly has Del Shannon's all-time classic "Runaway" going on in a slow-dub-trance stylee.

Bowie revamps his own "Ching-A-Ling" chrous riff in a more savage fashion on the epic "Saviour Machine" from his awesome 1971 classic album "Man Who Sold The World". That whole album is bloody brilliant - every song just does it for me.

And, finally, I've got a chance to mention something which I've noticed for years: Sparks' "The Ghost of Liberace" (from their total class album "Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins") sounds exactly like the main theme music from the arcade game "Frogger" !!

TJ

Quote from: "Z/Sb"I know there are Blur fans here so as anyone else noticed the similarity between "Entertain Me" (from their 1995 album "The Great Escape") and their classic "Girls & Boys"? Well, I've noticed.

I always thought that "The Great Escape" had at least started out as an attempt to copy "Parklife" structurally - 'Entertain Me' as 'Girls And Boys', 'Yuko And Hiro' as 'This Is A Low', 'Best Days' as 'Badhead', 'Charmless Man' as 'Tracy Jacks', 'The Universal' as 'To The End' and so on...

TJ

Supergrass 'Alright' and The Rutles 'I Must Be In Love'

TJ

The theme from "The Equalizer" and the theme from "The Magic Roundabout"

Z/Sb

Quote from: "TJ"The theme from "The Equalizer" and the theme from "The Magic Roundabout"

It does ring some similar bells - the main theme notes are exactly the same! Any more like that?
Here's another one I've got: Whenever I see the Tim Burton movie "Mars Attacks", I always notice a similarity between Danny Elfman's opening score and the theme from "Doctor Who".

Agreed on the Blur comments. It was way too obvious they were going for another "Parklife" but then I guess thats why they changed attitude and direction with the following "Blur" and, my personal favourite, "13".

And, I've just thought of some more:
The Manics' "Kevin Carter" and the Sweeney theme.

Steve Harley's "Mr. Soft" and Bowie's "Velvet Goldmine" (whenever I hear "Velvet Goldmine" I think of Trebor Softmints!).

From Gert Wilden's "Schulmädchen Report" soundtracks compilation, track 2, "Was Männer nicht für möglich haltern", is blatantly riping off Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" aka the "Top of the Pops" theme.

"The Six Million Dollar Man" and "Emmerdale Farm".

Bowie's "Starman" and "Somewhere Over A Rainbow" frmo the "Wizard of Oz".

The Big Breakfast's "Egg on your face" theme and the theme for Manga Video's release of the Japanese anime series "The Guyver". I'm going back a decade or so with that reference...

Ciarán2

Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Boston's bloody brilliant "More Than A Feeling".

TJ

The Streets' 'Dry Your Eyes' and Paul Henry's 'Benny's Song'.

Jemble Fred

The theme music to Magicland Dizzy and 'I Should Be So Lucky'.

foxprorawks

Quote from: "Ciarán"Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Boston's bloody brilliant "More Than A Feeling".

Or many Pixies songs.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Z/Sb"Here's another one I've got: Whenever I see the Tim Burton movie "Mars Attacks", I always notice a similarity between Danny Elfman's opening score and the theme from "Doctor Who".
And then there's the lift from Doctor Who in the middle section of Pink Floyd's "One of These Days"...

Quote from: "Z/Sb""The Six Million Dollar Man" and "Emmerdale Farm".
Yup...I once whistled Steve Austin's theme tune in mock-parody of some feat of mild strength I was performing, and Torty asked me "Why are you whistling Emmerdale Farm?"

Quote from: "Z/Sb"Bowie's "Starman" and "Somewhere Over A Rainbow" frmo the "Wizard of Oz".
THANK you.  I always knew the Bowie song reminded me of something.

Quote from: "Z/Sb"Bowie revamps his own "Ching-A-Ling" chrous riff in a more savage fashion on the epic "Saviour Machine" from his awesome 1971 classic album "Man Who Sold The World".
Not to mention the title track of "The Buddha of Suburbia", which is a brilliant piece of self-pastiche from beginning to end.

It *is* meant to be, isn't it?

chand

Today I noticed that the riff on 'Shotgun Funeral' by Party Of One is quite like 'Seven Nation Army' by the White Stripes.

Z/Sb

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Not to mention the title track of "The Buddha of Suburbia", which is a brilliant piece of self-pastiche from beginning to end.

It *is* meant to be, isn't it?

Yeah, it's meant to be. This (for me, at least) was a Bowie fan's dream at the time. Suede had arrived bigtime bringing back the Bowie camp & glam, the BBC bring out that great series "Buddha of Surburbia" which is part-tribute to Bowie anyway and he does that excellent soundtrack and that song which pays as much a tribute to his past as the great "Ashes to Ashes".
The "Space Oddity" break was excellent on first hearing the song because it was totally unexpected (I love that bit on the video where Bowie gives a knowing grin/laugh) and the "Zane, Zane, Zane, Ouvre le Chien" from "All The Madmen" was even more of a treat. "Elvis is English and climbs the hills - can't tell the bullshit from the lies..." I love that line. And, also around the same time, he did the totally underrated "Real Cool World". Both singles flopped but I didn't care, I bought them and I was well happy. I'm sure it was the same year as the "Black Tie White Noise" album as well...

On the subject of Bowie and similar songs, I always thought the brilliant Super Furry Animals' "Demons" was very "Bewlay Brothers"-like. There's a whole "Hunky Dory" feel to that song if you ask me...

Z/Sb

Every time I hear Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For" it reminds me of Altered Images' "I Could Be Happy". Anyone else notice the resemblance? And there's another bit which comes later in the track which sounds like the bit from the Beatles' "When I'm 64" which goes "You'll be older, too..."

U2 seem to be pushing their luck here.  Anyone heard Feeder's Anesthetic, the opening track to the album Yesterday went too soon ?  Exxactly the same riff from Vertigo, in a different key...  

The Doves also seem to be serial culprits... "Words" has the same riff as the Lightening Seeds "All I Want".

And forgive me for being irritating but the track 'Father and Son' (borrowed by The Flaming Lips) is a Cat Steven's original and not Boyzone or Westlife or whichever crappy boy band trashed it with their cover version. There should be a law against crap bands covering great songs... or perhaps they should come with a big educational sticker on front stating who sang the original ...

shit as fuck

'Gone' by M83 and 'Mogwai Fear Satan' by, errr, Mogwai.

They are both utterly fantastic.

chand

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"And forgive me for being irritating but the track 'Father and Son' (borrowed by The Flaming Lips) is a Cat Steven's original and not Boyzone or Westlife or whichever crappy boy band trashed it with their cover version. There should be a law against crap bands covering great songs... or perhaps they should come with a big educational sticker on front stating who sang the original ...

Hehe, have you heard/seen the new version? Ronan Keating has re-recorded it, minus the rest of Boyzone and with Yusuf Islam.  It's a Christmas single. Is Cat Stevens short of cash?

weekender

Quote from: "chand"Is Cat Stevens short of cash?

It's worse than that, he's Islamic.  He needs the publicity from this so that people don't think he's going to fly his muslim plane into our buildings, otherwise it's bye-bye to his back catalogue.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Z/Sb"Every time I hear Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For" it reminds me of Altered Images' "I Could Be Happy". Anyone else notice the resemblance? And there's another bit which comes later in the track which sounds like the bit from the Beatles' "When I'm 64" which goes "You'll be older, too..."

No, but when Gwen Stefani starts singing the first line of that song I can't help but think of 'Hash Pipe' by Weezer.

chand

Did 'Hash Pipe' sound liek something else before it? I remember when I first heard it those verse melodies sounded quite familiar.

Anyway, today I was listening to 'Repeater' by Fugazi and remembered the similarity between the riff in 'Blueprint' and 'Gone Away', the sort of ballady one off 'Ixnay On The Hombre' by The Offspring. I dunno if it was a deliberate bit of thievery by The Offspring, I suppose since it's essentially a basic 4-chord pattern it could be coincidence, but it's slightly annoying in that I get the words to The Offspring's tune in my head when Fugazi is on.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "foxprorawks"
Quote from: "Mr Colossal"Incidentally, I also ended up with Donna Summer - Upside Down

I would love to end up with Donna Summer, upside down...

Would you love to end up with (Miss) Diana Ross, upside down?  It was her who had the hit with it.