Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

similar sounding songs

Started by european son, February 24, 2004, 03:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan dirty ape

Here's another screamingly obvious one -  'Subterranean Homesick Blues' by yer Dylan and 'Pump It Up' by yer Costello.  I'm sure EC has freely said his tune was a homage, and it's one of those when you can start off singing one song and segue into the other.

And both come from the same rapid fire stream of conciousness mental list school as 'It's The End Of  The World As We Know It And I Feel Fine' by REM.  I spose it all comes from beat poetry, dunnit?

NattyDread

Calistan by Frank Black and Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits.

chand

'Prove Yourself' by Radiohead robs from 'Heart Of Gold' by Neil Young.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"Here's another screamingly obvious one -  'Subterranean Homesick Blues' by yer Dylan and 'Pump It Up' by yer Costello.  I'm sure EC has freely said his tune was a homage, and it's one of those when you can start off singing one song and segue into the other.

And both come from the same rapid fire stream of conciousness mental list school as 'It's The End Of  The World As We Know It And I Feel Fine' by REM.  I spose it all comes from beat poetry, dunnit?

You can also include 'We Didn't Start The Fire' by Billy Joel in that list

Entropy Balsmalch

The brand new Delta Goodrum single and Cornflake Gilr by Tori Amos

falafel

Quote from: "The Unicorn"
Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Taxman - The Beatles and Start - The Jam.  Although the latter may have been a deliberate homage.

That one by Beck sounds the same as that too. Can't remember its name

'The New Pollution'.

'I'll Be The One' by the Backstreet <spit> Boys sounds strangely like the theme to the Neverending Story.

'Once in a Lifetime' by <spit> Texas sounds identical to 'Creep' by TLC.

The bassline on 'Plug In Baby' by Muse is practically identical to 'Sexy Boy' by Air.

There's more to come...

falafel

Oh yeah, and 'Somebody Loves You' off Shootenanny by The Eels sounds irritatingly like the title track from Daisies of the Galaxy.

dan dirty ape

'Hotel Yorba' by the White Stripes has the same tune as 'My Old Man's A Dustman'.

Not Me

Quote from: "falafel"

'Once in a Lifetime' by <spit> Texas sounds identical to 'Creep' by TLC.

No matter how many people I said that to it was always dismissed as nonsense.  You have exorcised some demons there, thankyou :-)

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"According to a mate, 'M62 Song' by The Doves sounds like another really good song, although he can't remember which. Anyone?

As far as I know it's a reworking of Moonchild by King Crimson, and acknowledged as such by The Doves.

morgs

Cast - Fine Time and the intro to Guns N Roses - Paradise City.  And bits of Jesus Christ Superstar actually! Hmmmmm

chand

The new Kylie single has a riff which sounds very similar to 'Survivor' by Destiny's Child to these ears.

garlicberet

"Laura" by Scissor Sisters and "Attitude" by Suede kinda have the same tune... to my ears anyway

hoverdonkey

There's a Foo Fighters song that sounds like it's about to break into that at any moment but I can't remeber it for buggery

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"

There's a Foo Fighters song that sounds like it's about to break into that at any moment but I can't remeber it for buggery

'Times Like These' by the Foos sounds like 'The Heat Is On' by Glenn Frey

Jack Skellington

Gabrielle's "Rise"  sounds the same as "Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan.

Muse "Falling away from you" sounds like a beatles song which I can't remember the bloody name of.

Lumiere

the into to deep purple's child in time was a straight crib from a bombay calling song.

parts of Tool's cold and ugly sound like the main keyboard riff from Led Zep's No Quarter

Hello I Love You  - The Doors
All The Day And All Off The Night - The Kinks

And I think The Doors got berated for it at the time aswell.

Neil

Quote from: "TraceyQ"
Quote from: "best batch yet"
and of course Wire - Three Girl Rhumba, and Elastica - Connection, beyond all reasonable doubt, I don't know how they thought they could get away with that

Because Frischmann et al were so deluded about the level of their own coolness they foolishly thought no one else had ever heard of Wire.

And don't forget that "Line Up" was a rip-off of the Wire song "I Am The Fly."

El Unicornio, mang

Also, 'Waking Up' by Elastica has the same riff as 'No More Heroes' by the Stranglers. JJ Burnel was gracious enough to accept this as a compliment though.

There's a song on one of the Flaming Lips albums which sounds a lot like 'Father and Son' by Boyzone too.

gazzyk1ns

That Aguilera song with the video set in the street (possibly her latest single?) sounds like that old Warren G song, is it called regulate?

That's a rubbish description of both songs, can someone fill me in?

Lord Spong

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"That Aguilera song with the video set in the street (possibly her latest single?) sounds like that old Warren G song, is it called regulate?

The Aguilera song is "Can't Hold Us Back".  The Warren G song is indeed "Regulate", and you're right, they do sound similar.

One for the teenie-boppers.  "I Swear" by Blue is very similar to "Back For Good" by Take That.

Uncle_Z

...and in turn Back For Good by Take That is very similar to Love Is All Around by The Troggs (the are no other versions)

The Zutons' You Will You Won't and Captain Beefheart's Dropout Boogie.

Breakups Breakdowns by Simple Kid has a guitar motif that sounds a lot like Carrot Rope by Pavement.

Hope by R.E.M. has a melody strongly reminiscent of Suzanne by Leonard Cohen.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

That single by The New Busted, McFly has a bit in it which is the twangy riff from "Gay Bar".

And Jack White, of course, managed to rip himself off perfectly with "There's No Home For You Here", a tribute to his own "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground"

'Everybody Hurts' and 'You'll Never Walk Alone'

dan dirty ape

The verses of 'Catch The Sun' by Doves sound the same as a Carly Simon song I don't remember the name of.

mrpants

The theme to Black Books is almost exactly the same as Jockey Full of Bourbon* by Tom Waits on his Rain Dogs album.

*or it's called something similar

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"That Aguilera song with the video set in the street (possibly her latest single?) sounds like that old Warren G song, is it called regulate?

Not a soundalike, but samplulike, is that regulate is a sample of Michael Mcdonald's - I keep forgettin'

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Just been jogging and was listening to Supergrass - Pumpin' On your Stereo and noticed how closely it resembles David Bowie - Rebel, Rebel.

Carry on.