Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:53:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

similar sounding songs

Started by european son, February 24, 2004, 03:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Colossal

I always thought Robbie Williams- Feel souded the same as The Manics- If you tolerate this...

Cigarettes and Alcohol, and Primal Scream -  'Rocks'  both use the funky riff from T-Rex - Bang A Gong.

Vermschneid Mehearties

IYTTTYCWBN sounds similar to feel because it has very similar chords.

The Manics tune is Am,Em,F,G

I think the Robbie Williams tune is C,F,G and then F,C,G for the chorus..so..yeah.

The Manics tune is a lot better in my opinion, though Feel is one of gerbil-boy's better attempts at music.

iain

Lyrics aside, Blue By Ashengrace sounds quite a bit like Ballboy's 'I Hate Scotland' except maybe with some 'Pixies - Where is my mind - Mixed in"
So, completely different you might say :D but it made me think of it.
and here it is http://personal.riverusers.com/~ashengrace/sections/demos/ashengrace%20-%20blue%20(corrected%20EQ).mp3

Goldentony

the new rachel stevens song sounds a lot like strict machine by goldfrapp

EDIT: and for some reason 'slither' by velvet revolver reminds me of black shuck by the darkness, and, scott weilands voice reminds me of certain parts of the theme tune to faster pussy cat kill kill

Mr Colossal

While watching  VH1 yesterday it came across me that Radioheads 'Creep' sounded the same as something. I couldn't remember what it was at the time but my memories just thrown Erasures - 'A little respect' at me...

And i never knew that Puff- Daddys Come With Me and Rage Against The Machine - 'Wake Up' sampled Led Zeppelin- Road to  Kashmir. Well i suppose it isn't a similarity, its probably purposefully sampled. I always assumed it was Rage's and the Puff Daddy version either sampled it or blatantly ripped it off. Thats age for you, the original still sounds brilliant..

BetaKarraTene

The intro to Cooper Temple Clause - Panzer Attack is almost exactly the same as Blur - Popscene right down from the distortion going into the riff (except it's a brass rif on Popscene and a bass riff on Panzer Attack)

Also, the riff on Muse - Stockholme Syndrome is the same as The Music - Life.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Duran Duran's

'Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand'

is the same tune as Duran Duran's

'New moon on Monday, and a fire dance through the night'

isn't it? Albeit transposed a bit.

TraceyQ

One of the tracks from the new Kings of Leon album and "She talks to angels" by The Black Crowes... "Day Old Blue" I think it's called, it just has a little extra yodelling in.

The Rocks last single.. "We Got it" and "Love is the drug" by Roxy Music.

Rats

That new webber travesty sounds suspiciously like elvis "can't help falling in love" to me

Hans Resist

In the "how did they get away with it?" corner:

Chili Peppers/Fortune Faded = REM/Orange Crush
Tori Amos/Hey Jupiter = Prince/Purple Rain
Radiohead/Creep = Hollies/The Air That I Breathe
Radiohead/Karma Police = Beatles/Sexy Sadie

Props to the KLF for lifting the riff from What Time Is Love out of the JC Superstar overture.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Hans Resist"In the "how did they get away with it?" corner:
The best example of that ever (which I'm amazed nobody's mentioned so far) is Phil Collins - Sussudio = Prince - 1999

And as I said on this thread back in March, Orbital - Style = New Order - Your Silent Face.

chand

Quote from: "Mr Colossal"And i never knew that Puff- Daddys Come With Me and Rage Against The Machine - 'Wake Up' sampled Led Zeppelin- Road to  Kashmir. .

I don't think RATM sampled Kashmir, their album actually had a rather unnecessary statement on the inlay saying 'NO SAMPLES, KEYBOARDS OR SYNTHESISERS USED IN THE MAKING OF THIS RECORDING'.

Any similarity is probably down to the nature of drop-D riffing. The intro is quite similar though, that little thing where one note changes on the D chord was also used to similar effect in 'Sober' by Tool and Eminem's 'Lose Yourself'. The Puff Daddy one wasn't a sample either, was it? I think Page actually re-recorded his parts specifically for the song.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: "chand"
Quote from: "Mr Colossal"And i never knew that Puff- Daddys Come With Me and Rage Against The Machine - 'Wake Up' sampled Led Zeppelin- Road to  Kashmir. .

I don't think RATM sampled Kashmir, their album actually had a rather unnecessary statement on the inlay saying 'NO SAMPLES, KEYBOARDS OR SYNTHESISERS USED IN THE MAKING OF THIS RECORDING'.

Well 'sample' was the incorrect word for me to use with RATM, as they would have just copied/recreated  it, or 'covered' the riff in question... I couldnt really think of the right word to use.

Ah...I didnt know Page actually performed with P Diddy on 'Come With Me' either... Going  by the nature of most Rap tunes, I assumed it was sampled.

I remember 'Come with me' being Identical to 'Wake Up' so whether it is an cleared  copy , coincidence or comlpete rip-off i dont know.

chand

The intro to 'Wake Up' is similar to 'Kashmir', but 'Wake Up' is straightforward 4/4 while Kashmir is something more complicated, I think the drums are 4/4 but the guitars are 3/4. But yeah, there's a definite similarity between the two, I dunno if the RATM thing is a deliberate echo of Zep though.

you give love a bad name by the jovi and heaven is a place on earth by belinda carlisle/tiffany are interchangeable

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"

According to a mate, 'M62 Song' by The Doves sounds like another really good song, although he can't remember which. Anyone?

that would be the kinks (i'm pretty sure). probably called for your love. cos it goes "for your love" a bit like that repeatedly.

i wouldn't hold it against the doves.  i've always thought they tipped their hats in that general direction of classic british rock.

oh yeah that "HERO" song is way shitter than seal's "kiss from a rose".
i call that the superhero progression.

start anywhere on the guitar neck with a major bar. slide up a tone. and again.
Take it home boys...

Almost Yearly

Weak by Skunk Anansie and All Along The Watchtower by Hendrix.

I know it's just them three chords yet again - but the bald man made his guitar sound exactly like Jimi's to boot. Practically indistinguishable, to me.

MonkeyDrummer

The Smiths - Pretty girls make graves.
Men at work - Down under.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"The Smiths - Pretty girls make graves.
My first reaction to this was "WTF are you on about that"...but...oh dear...after pausing for reflection...well they do have the same jaunty three chord thing going on in the verse, don't they?

Mind you, so do lots of songs.

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"The Smiths - Pretty girls make graves.
My first reaction to this was "WTF are you on about that"...but...oh dear...after pausing for reflection...well they do have the same jaunty three chord thing going on in the verse, don't they?

Mind you, so do lots of songs.

Yeah, it's pretty similar though. Listen to Pretty Girls..... while thinking about Down Under and you'll see what I'm talking about.*

*it will also probably ruin it for you

Paaaaul

Quote from: "depressed beyond tablets"

According to a mate, 'M62 Song' by The Doves sounds like another really good song, although he can't remember which. Anyone?

that would be the kinks (i'm pretty sure). probably called for your love. cos it goes "for your love" a bit like that repeatedly.

i wouldn't hold it against the doves.  i've always thought they tipped their hats in that general direction of classic british rock.

Take it home boys...
I don't know the Doves song of which you speak, but "For Your Love" was by The Yardbirds, not the Kinks

Jemble Fred

It was recently pointed out on some other forum that 'Take Me Out' by Franz Ferdinand owes a huge debt to Ringo Starr's 'Back Off Boogaloo'.

pandadeath

Pixies' "Bam Thwok". The first few bars, whenever I play it always fool my friends into thinking it's "Teenage Kicks" by The Undertones. Which is fun.

Mr Colossal

I hate songs that do that... can lead to  embarrassment when your pissed.

I think its 'Fight Song' by Marilyn Manson that starts with almost identical drumsto Blurs- Song 2...

Another recent one was Good Charlotte ripping off the drums for Iggy Pops - Lust for Life.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Paaaaul"
Quote from: "depressed beyond tablets"

Take it home boys...
I don't know the Doves song of which you speak, but "For Your Love" was by The Yardbirds, not the Kinks

If Doves' "M62 Song" sounds like anything, it is "Moonshine" by King Crimson (from "In The Court of the Crimson King"). You wouldn't be thinking of that by any chance? As it is a deliberate steal.

no it just reminds me of that yardbirds song. off to download that now...

loo

I hate when I get the feeling of familiarity with a song but I can't remember exactly what I'm reminded of.  Two examples of this are with the songs 'Maps' by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and 'Nude as the News' by Cat Power.

Franz Ferdinand's 'This Fire' reminds me of the Gremlins theme.  

And this is probably just me, but The Kinks' 'Sunny Afternoon' reminds me of Simon & Garfunkel's 'Richard Cory' in parts.

Dr David V

I've mentioned it before, but it's worth saying again I think. Does anyone else think that Morrisey's singing sounds uncannily like Ladysmith Black Mumbaza? You know, from the Heinz adverts a few years ago.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"Yeah, it's pretty similar though. Listen to Pretty Girls..... while thinking about Down Under and you'll see what I'm talking about.*

*it will also probably ruin it for you
Yeah, that's what I did, in my head.  I stopped very sharpish when I realised that you might  be right and that it might well ruin it for me!  :-)

dan dirty ape

That fuckawful 'Walkie Talkie Man' song from the i-Pod advert is on CD:UK at the moment and it sounds exacty like Terrorvision's 'Pretend Best Friend'.