Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

similar sounding songs

Started by european son, February 24, 2004, 03:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clareQuilty

one which hasn't been done yet- Killing Jokes 'eighties' and Nirvanas 'come as you are'.

Suttonpubcrawl

Bad song warning:

I think that In the army by Status Quo and Broken by Madonna are quite similar. I don't know how I could possibly think that, what with never having heard those songs and not knowing anything about them. Errm.

Solid Snail

Will Smith's 'Miami' and the song off of Vice City which I can't remember the name of.

iain

Couple of game ones here...
"Aquatic Ambiance" from the original Donkey Song sountrack sounds a lot like Fields of coral by Vangelis
Also "Round 5" on the Streets of rage soundtracks reminds me a lot of "Pump up the volume" by MARRS!

Ambient Sheep

"We Are The Boys", the pisspoor penultimate track on Mansun's "Little Kix" sounds intolerably like "Jesus Christ Superstar" by that mate of Ben Elton's.

However, having listened to the album for the first time in about a year, I was pleasantly surprised, I don't remember it being that...um...reasonably good.

I haven't heard them in a while but the intros to Last Stop: This Town by the Eels and Where is my Mind by the Pixies always sounded really similar and confused me.

Duchess by the Stranglers and Tolerate by the Manics sound eerily similar too.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Duchess by the Stranglers and Tolerate by the Manics sound eerily similar too.
Oh indeedy.  I believe there was talk of legal action at one point.

"And the Rodneys are queueing up...your children will be next."

Ambient Sheep

Another one from the "I can't believe they didn't sue" department:

Visage - "Fade To Grey" (much as I love it) borrows rather heavily from The Human League - "Being Boiled"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "Solid Snail"Will Smith's 'Miami' and the song off of Vice City which I can't remember the name of.

That doesn't count 'cause it's a sample.

Interpol's "Say Hello To The Angels" is one heck of a monumental steal from "This Charming Man" by the Smiths. The opening of the song (that chugging bass sound) also sounds remarkably similar to the opening of "Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child.

BetaKarraTene

On a related note, the verse to Grand National's 'Drink To Moving On' is exactly like the bridge to 'Say Hello To The Angels'.

Jimmy

U2s Vertigo melts perfectly into that Supremes? song at the chorus:

"Hello,Hello..blah blah blah blah Vertigo,
You don't even love me, you just keep me hanging on"

Jemble Fred

The new Embrace single (? - it's all over Radio 2) is cribbed from Roxette, for fuck's sake.

boki

Have we done Weezer's 'Hash Pipe' yet?  It always reminds me of 'Somewhere in My Heart' by Aztec Camera in the chorus.

Make me smile

Quote from: "Jimmy"U2s Vertigo melts perfectly into that Supremes? song at the chorus:

"Hello,Hello..blah blah blah blah Vertigo,
You don't even love me, you just keep me hanging on"

One of the bridges in 'Vertigo' sounds exactly like the chorus from 'Get Free' by The Vines

oceanthroats

the obvious bob dylan 4th time around parody of norwegian wood which was supposed to be a sort of dylanesque lennon song, though i don't know how exactly. interestingly someone suggested norwegian wood was written after 4th time around, the tune at least, which is likely bullshit but anyway.

i always thought REM's try not to breathe was a lot like crowded house's pineapple head...which both reminded me of norwegian wood...and fourth time around...the irish ish sort of cuddly riffs at any rate, but even a few other bits and pieces seem related...

Morrisfan82

I was thinking last night how surprisingly similar Je Ne Regrette Rien by Edith Piaf is to My Way by Frank Sinatra. Certainly in terms of delivery, pace and pitch.

Jemble Fred

Everyone knows about the whole 'My Sweet lord'/'He's So Fine' business, but it's odd that no-one ever seems to make a fuss about the fact that George Harrison's 'What Is Love' is almost identical in every way to 'Keep On Running', by the Spencer Davis Group.

For someone who's written some of the finest songs known to the human ear, George could be a right tea-leaf at times.

Darrell

The verses to 'I'm So Tired' and 'The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill'. Come on, John, pull your weight a bit.

Oh, and speaking of that - 'Whatever Gets You Thru The Night' and any mid-seventies George Harrison record.

slim

Quote from: "morgs"U2 - Beautiful Day

Very similar build up to

Aha - The Sun always shines on tv
Thank goodness that's not just me then.

Mine:

Garbage - Milk ---&--- Madonna - Secret
Golden Earring - Radar Love ---&--- Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
The bit in Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out where the guitar builds before the "Der-nyeu derner-nernep-nyow! Der-nyeu derner-nernep-nyow!" ---&--- Survivor - Eye of the Tiger*

It's all scary and unread in here, I'm going back to the safety of VM, CC and GD. Yikes.

* I'm not sure that's the right song, but it definitely sounds like something.

smorodina

I suppose he was too nice a guy to sue is the only explanation for 'Prince Charming', which is 'War Canoe' with new words.

Also 'Natural Born Boogie' can virtually be played on top of 'Get Back'.

Z/Sb

U2 deliberately acknowledged Aha for "Beautiful Day". I thought that was pretty cool of them to pay tribute to such a great, under-rated 80s band like Aha as they made a lot of great stuff in the mid to late 80s.

"War Canoe" - I have that - absolutely love it! I remembered hearing it on the radio around the early 80s and the DJ said "What does this sound like to you?"
I have it on the drive actually.

This has probably been mentioned (I just jumped in so I don't knwo what's been mentioned) but there's the famous George Harrison "My Sweet Lord"/Chiffon's "He's So Fine" controversy. As a result of the court case, he wrote the brilliant "This Song" which has an excellent and quite weird promo video and it's available on DVD (along with the excellent Eric Idle-directed, Neil Innes-starring "Crackerbox Palace" promo video) in the Dark Horse box set which I have and is the business. :)
Anyway, back to "My Sweet Lord". I haven't the song for years but I'm pretty sure that Roachford's "Cuddly Toy" sounded a lot to me like "My Sweet Lord" on the chorus. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Oh, I forgot to mention that David Hasselhoff's "Crazy for You" is a total rip-off of the Village People's "YMCA".

Mr Colossal

Sorry if these have been mentioned previously , but it came to my attention yesterday that:

Pulps - Disco 2000 , sounds very similar to Donna Summer's 'Gloria' . Olivia Newton-Johns 'Physical' also sounds a lot like the latter.

lazyhour

The chorus of the new bleh from U2 (sorry, single) sounds just like the far, far, far, far, far, far superior Equus by Blonde Redhead.  Honestly, it's so fucking similar!

foxprorawks

Quote from: "Mr Colossal"Pulps - Disco 2000 , sounds very similar to Donna Summer's 'Gloria'

That wasn't Donna Summer - I think it was Laura Branigan.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: "foxprorawks"
Quote from: "Mr Colossal"Pulps - Disco 2000 , sounds very similar to Donna Summer's 'Gloria'

That wasn't Donna Summer - I think it was Laura Branigan.

Oops, and right you are- Sorry, I was downloading some of her songs yesterday, and that was labelled as hers. It was released before I was even born, so im  not old enough to know any better see.

Incidentally, I also ended up with Donna Summer - Upside Down, which i knew was by Diana Ross, so perhaps i should have checked.

Z/Sb

Half of Status Quo's sixties material sound like "Pictures of Matchstick Men". One in particular is a total carbon copy "Black Veils of Melancholy". The other songs which have a very high level of similarity to "Matchstick Men" are "Technicolour Dreams" and "Sunny Cellophane Skies". That's basically four songs on one album which sound, more or less, exactly the same. It's pretty clever that they got away with it. (But then, they didn't get away with it, they flopped after "Matchstick Men" and came back to success in the 70s as a different type of rock act altogether...)
Their other 60's classic, "Ice in the Sun", sounds almost like a 60s psychedelic rendition of "Whatever You Want" if you listen carefully - especially on the chorus.
And, of course, Death in Vegas & Liam Gallagher's "Scorpio Rising" is an obvious and deliberate tribute to "Pictures of Matchstick Men".

If you're into psychedelia and never heard the Quo's debut album then I suggest you do so immediately! Or check out the complete 3-CD Pye collection for a more complete picture of the original, forgotten Status Quo.

Z/Sb

I know there are Blur fans here so as anyone else noticed the similarity between "Entertain Me" (from their 1995 album "The Great Escape") and their classic "Girls & Boys"? Well, I've noticed.

Much of OMD's "Sailing on the Seven Seas" is directly ripping off The Who's "My Generation". I think this is intentional though because later in the song he basically copies the "people try to put us down" verse.

Whenever I hear Swing Out Sister's "You On My Mind", it reminds me of the Jimmy Web penned, 5th Dimension hit  "Up, Up and Away".

Suttonpubcrawl

Has anyone mentioned the similarity between 586 and Blue Monday, both by New Order? When I first heard 586 (which was after I first heard Blue Monday) I thought that it sounded very much like Blue Monday and I later discovered that 586 was a sort of early version of Blue Monday. Video 5-8-6 though, what's that about? It doesn't sound anything like 586.

moomin

Billy Bragg's New England has exactly the same opening words as Simon & Garfunkel's Leaves that are Green turn to Brown.

There was rash of tunes on tele last night that Robbie Williams has copied but I'm fucked if I can remember exactly what. The theme tune to League of their own might have been one.