Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:29:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Biggy’s Big Brexit Bonanza

Started by Alberon, April 11, 2019, 12:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

A new Brexit thread, but for Biggytitbo and all those willing to argue with him.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Literally the entire story so far:

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 11, 2019, 12:15:02 PM
The biggest lie in modern political history was by the remain campaign.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 11, 2019, 12:40:00 PM
Oh do shut the fuck up.

They were right about scalextric - it goes around in loop after loop and it's as boring as all fuck, but at least when it flies off the track every few seconds it doesn't try to convince you that it hasn't.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 11, 2019, 12:54:50 PM
"If you vote to leave the EU, we will" is the biggest lie in modern political history and it came from the Remain camp. Which bit do you disagree with?

Quote from: Replies From View on April 11, 2019, 12:58:06 PM
That was the government at the time rather than "the Remain camp".  David Cameron and Friends, who promptly scarpered after the referendum result, so in fact it could have all been popped it in a bin at that point, as the referendum was only advisory.

Also you'd have to be a bit of a fucking dunce to genuinely believe that was the biggest lie in modern political history, and it just so happens that you are.  So that answers that.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

A bit unfair, this thread, targeting a particular individual, and that. I'll be honest; I can't say I approve ( unless we get some really good laffs out of it, in which case, fair fucks ).

Replies From View

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 11, 2019, 01:09:59 PM
A bit unfair, this thread, targeting a particular individual, and that. I'll be honest; I can't say I approve ( unless we get some really good laffs out of it, in which case, fair fucks ).

It's an individual who posts 25% of the content of the standard Brexit threads; he singles himself out by doing so, and derails the threads in the process (along with people like me who feed it).

Unfair would be to insist he gets a blog away from CaB.  This is a reasonable compromise.

Blue Jam

Replies From View

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 11, 2019, 01:17:14 PM
Fuck's sake, let it go...

You must be joking, some people on here have a pathological need (bordering on the unhealthy) to keep on having go at him as long as he is around.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 11, 2019, 01:23:54 PM
You must be joking, some people on here have a pathological need (bordering on the unhealthy) to keep on having go at him as long as he is around.

Exactly, and in this thread you get to make this single remark endlessly without derailing the Brexit discussion with it; everyone is happy.

Biggy's Big Brexit Bonanza = biggy, his dissenters and his cheerleaders in equal measure.  Feel welcome, Mr Simnock.

Alberon

There's no problem with debating Biggy, but too often it just washes over and dominates everything else.

Outside of political threads I've plenty of time for Biggy, but inside of them they too often become the Argument Sketch featuring Biggy vs nearly everyone.

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 11, 2019, 01:17:14 PM
Fuck's sake, let it go...

Director's Cut of Frozen "not really suitable for infants" say BBFC.

Chollis

Are threads about Biggy a monthly thing here or what

Replies From View

Quote from: Chollis on April 11, 2019, 01:42:05 PM
Are threads about Biggy a monthly thing here or what

Dunno can you think of any others

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 11, 2019, 09:44:30 AM
A 2nd referendum is not an option now they have shifted the narrative, almost overnight, from a 'peoples vote' to a 'confirmatory vote', where some remainers will cook up a dogs dinner that they will campaign against, and make us choose between that and remain. A total con.

It's exactly the same as saying that out of Chris Chibnall and Mark Gatiss you would prefer Chris Chibnall, and then not bothering with Doctor Who when Chris Chibnall becomes showrunner.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We always tend to defend the instigator on the basis that everyone should ignore them and why aren't they ignoring them and they must be the problem actually, why are they replying to them, without showing due appreciation that it isn't that easy, all effective trolls manage to succeed by retreating to a superficially prosaic starting point where people feel willing to engage with them, then ratchet it up until someone snaps. This has happened for years on here and the behaviour is always very similar. Attacking the victim for being intolerant of that sociopathic behaviour is deeply unfair.

If so many people are being caught out then it suggests they aren't the problem. The problem is the problem.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 11, 2019, 03:15:30 PM
We always tend to defend the instigator on the basis that everyone should ignore them and why aren't they ignoring them and they must be the problem actually, why are they replying to them, without showing due appreciation that it isn't that easy, all effective trolls manage to succeed by retreating to a superficially prosaic starting point where people feel willing to engage with them, then ratchet it up until someone snaps. This has happened for years on here and the behaviour is always very similar. Attacking the victim for being intolerant of that sociopathic behaviour is deeply unfair.

If so many people are being caught out then it suggests they aren't the problem. The problem is the problem.

Dr Greggles , for one, has made bouncy good use of utilising the "ignore" script as regards biggy, and I  myself, do a fairly good job of ignoring yer man (on the issue of Brexit), occasionally pointing out stuff that I feel shouldn't go unignored , like his crass, blithe and unpleasant way of speaking about top murdered-directly-because-of-Brexit MP Jo Cox, and will stick the occasional jibe in when he is coming across as particularly daft. Doesnae seem that difficult to me. Otherwise, you seem to be recommending banning or completely, relentlessly taking the piss out of the problematic personage (this is what I've inferred from your post, could well be massively wrong ; I mean , if you're labelling someone as a problem, you're suggesting that something needs to be done about that problem ).

Twed

Do you think that if you start making threads with biggy's name in them that you might be part of the problem

Crisps?

What if 17.4 million people thought Biggy was the problem?

Twed

Are there 17.4 million people who are that boring?

Replies From View

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 11, 2019, 03:35:00 PM
Dr Greggles , for one, has made bouncy good use of utilising the "ignore" script as regards biggy, and I  myself, do a fairly good job of ignoring yer man (on the issue of Brexit), occasionally pointing out stuff that I feel shouldn't go unignored , like his crass, blithe and unpleasant way of speaking about top murdered-directly-because-of-Brexit MP Jo Cox, and will stick the occasional jibe in when he is coming across as particularly daft. Doesnae seem that difficult to me. Otherwise, you seem to be recommending banning or completely, relentlessly taking the piss out of the problematic personage (this is what I've inferred from your post, could well be massively wrong ; I mean , if you're labelling someone as a problem, you're suggesting that something needs to be done about that problem ).

Well - is there a problem?

If you don't think that numerous intensely bloated, repetitive political threads count as a "problem" then maybe you don't.

But "ignoring that situation" definitely isn't the solution if you think it is a problem, because like it or not biggy is going to treat CaB's threads as his own blog on issues that he has views on, and he's going to assume everyone has a memory of 24 hours or less and will repeat himself as if he's at a pub gathering where words are spoken ephemera rather than still right there if anyone wants to reread them.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Actually, I don't think I've expressed meself very well, in my last post. I *do* think that isolating him to his own thread on this issue will make him simply double up on his efforts, possibly becoming even more obnoxious and deranged sounding in his efforts; this will be reciprocated in the replies given by his detractors who, whether they care to admit to it or not, actually derive pleasure from responding to the comments he makes regarding his entrenched stance, and about which he is never, *ever* going to change his mind; and it will all be very unpleasant for me to read, and will make me sad, and I doubt very much I'd have even the most miniscule of chances to get a Jodie Comer reference into proceedings :'-(

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Mind you, he's not showed up here yet, has He? So, fair play to him.

Buelligan

Quote from: Twed on April 11, 2019, 03:45:42 PM
Are there 17.4 million people who are that boring?

Clearly, there are 17.4 million people who are a great deal more boring.

idunnosomename

maybe he should bring out a collection of his posts as a big leather-bound book. beautiful

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 11, 2019, 03:53:42 PM
maybe he should bring out a collection of his posts as a big leather-bound book.

Then we could THROW IT INTO THE SEA, amirite?

Crisps?

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 11, 2019, 03:47:19 PM
his detractors [...] whether they care to admit to it or not, actually derive pleasure from responding to the comments he makes regarding his entrenched stance

I hate "this", so THAT. Fucking that.

Alberon

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 11, 2019, 03:48:52 PM
Mind you, he's not showed up here yet, has He? So, fair play to him.

Starting this thread was not an easy decision. For years I've had a policy of trying to ignore him when he's off on one and respond when he's being sensible, with varying success, but he really is drowning out all other debate. It's got to the point that I've been driven out of threads when he blanket bombs them.

My policy going forward is to put any replies to him from the main Brexit thread here. It's up to him if he reads them or not and will reduce at least some of the howlaround in the main thread.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Lisa Jesusandmarychain