Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,495
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Absolutely staggering interview with Bret Easton Ellis about the issues

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, April 11, 2019, 06:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/bret-easton-ellis-thinks-youre-overreacting-to-donald-trump/amp

The man seems like a weapons-grade moron, whose vague but deeply held beliefs about modern culture (as expressed in his new book, 'White') don't stand up to any kind of scrutiny. This interview is top class entertainment though. I would pull choice excerpts, but it really has to be experienced in its entirety

(thought of putting this in the books sub forum, but the subject matter of the interview isn't particularly literary so i thought it might get more play here)

Petey Pate

What an absolute train wreck. Why did he even agree to be interviewed?

Obligatory link to Chris Morris' interview with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7o8ICoMGfc

It seems like he wrote the book for a quick buck.  Not really thought his arguments through has he.  Or maybe he has and doesn't really care.

Piggyoioi

Haha, this was a great read. Listened to his podcast quite abit back in the day, quite liked his film criticism and self indulgent monologues but the moment he touches politics he turns into the same kind of crybaby he seems to decry.

Crabwalk

I enjoyed that a lot, thanks.

QuoteBES: 'I think you are leading me into things I am not particularly that interested in.'

NY: 'Which is what, everything you wrote your book about?'

Notlob

What a find - the interviewer does a really good job of pressing him for answers or trying to get him to put together some semblance of a reasonable argument which never materialises.

Brett Easton Ellis is to the literary world what that guy who paints with his own shit is to the art world - enough people have said he's good, he's made money from his talent and so here we are.

What a shambles.

RDRR

I found the strangest thing about this and the Chris Morris interview the way in which he manages to come across as somehow sympathetic. He's remarkably patient and accommodating in the CM one (presumably aware at least on some level it's taking the piss), and here just seems a bit confused and conflicted, but never outwardly defensive or combative, despite how frustrating it must be to have your stupidity repeatedly thrown back in your face, without ceremony.

Thought this answer was semi-coherent and reasonable, though, however unoriginal. God knows what his book is about, but it seems like he just wants to be able ignore politics entirely, and for other people to do the same, overlooking that most others really aren't in a position to. It's like he's not quite Gervaised, just become detached from and bemused by reality.

QuoteWhen you think back to these couple of years, is your large takeaway that the left was too critical of Trump?

It's not just the left. There seems to have been this hysterical overreaction that can be solved with voting him out of office. And I don't know whether this pain and turmoil people have inflicted on themselves have gotten them anything. I just see a lot of people who have turned themselves inside out.

It seems to have caused a lot of people self-harm, and I don't know where it gets anybody.

He's got sort of South Park politics, in that he mainly seems annoyed that people care about things too much, but he's totally unable to articulate what the correct proportional reaction should be

Mr_Simnock

what a bizarre interview, every time he gets pressed for a coherent answer about a direct quote from his book all he can muster is 'not arsed,cigs'

Quote from: Petey Pate on April 11, 2019, 06:54:57 PM
What an absolute train wreck. Why did he even agree to be interviewed?

exactly

Rev+

Quote from: Piggyoioi on April 11, 2019, 07:27:40 PM
Listened to his podcast quite abit back in the day, quite liked his film criticism and self indulgent monologues but the moment he touches politics he turns into the same kind of crybaby he seems to decry.

A few years back I was doing night shifts and burning through about 12 hours of listening material per 24, so finding out that an author I'd liked at least one book by had a show seemed like a gift for the night.  Bunged an episode on, settled in for the grind, got a solid 20 minutes of ranting about 'SJWs' and decided that yeah, American Psycho was always a load of shit.

Eh, I don't like Bret Easton Ellis and I'm guessing his book approaches this issue from a bad direction, but doesn't the tone of that interview prove his point? Lots of left-of-center liberals are completely deranged about Donald Trump in a way that is neither rational nor healthy, considering Trump's actual policies are basically a continuation of the Republican status quo over the last 40+ years.

Noodle Lizard

This is pretty embarrassing, but I can't help but think the interview has been edited somewhat favorably towards the author.  Certainly wouldn't be the first time, so I'd be interested to hear the actual conversation, especially since Ellis has proven himself to be at least somewhat competent in a debate in the past.  He's tedious as fuck now, though, and no mistake.

Large Noise

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 11, 2019, 09:30:12 PM
He's got sort of South Park politics, in that he mainly seems annoyed that people care about things too much, but he's totally unable to articulate what the correct proportional reaction should be
It's rich guy with an opinion syndrome. Ultimately his analysis boils down to "oh shut up it's not going to affect your life". Which is true if you're him, or Bill Burr, or Joe Rogan, or Parker & Stone, etc. And to be honest it's maybe a more genuine position for them to take than Meryl Streep-style handwringing. The problem comes when, like you say, they forget how stupid and detached they are, and how their position in society has made them fundamentally trivial and gross, and they try to tell real people what to think about politics.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Large Noise on April 12, 2019, 12:09:18 AM
It's rich guy with an opinion syndrome. Ultimately his analysis boils down to "oh shut up it's not going to affect your life". Which is true if you're him, or Bill Burr, or Joe Rogan, or Parker & Stone, etc. And to be honest it's maybe a more genuine position for them to take than Meryl Streep-style handwringing. The problem comes when, like you say, they forget how stupid and detached they are, and how their position in society has made them fundamentally trivial and gross, and they try to tell real people what to think about politics.

^ that. that's what I was going to say, only I don't think I could improve on that.

Mr Banlon