Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:14:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boston C(r)AB me(a)et, Monday 15th April

Started by pancreas, April 11, 2019, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Blodders and I are happy to share a pie and a pint with any Bostonians—if they exist—on Monday. Suggestions for a venue would also be most appreciated.

BlodwynPig

I'm in.

Sadly, QDRPHNC is there this week - but he may be able to recommend some good beer spots.

Twed

I live near Boston, but the three of us in the same fucking place would be DREADFUL.

Twed

BlodwynPig

pancreas

I will indeed be horrified when I see you. Where shall we meet?

BlodwynPig

Preferably not an Irish pub

Edit: Surely it has to be Lord Hobo (Chang ba(r))

QuoteLord Hobo is one of the best beer bars in the city, but perhaps not the most hip. If there's a new, rare, or hard-to-find beer, Lord Hobo probably has it among more than 40 draft lines or its extensive bottle selection. It's not snobbish though: bartenders are always quick with a recommendation and a sample. The crowd is young, and while it can get packed, you can usually snag a bar seat or a high top. The red walls and dim lights make it feel a bit like a dungeon – but one you're OK spending all day (and night) in.

Twed

Ah, really I would go but I can't on Monday.

If any of you happen to make it 50 miles out to New Hampshire, or want to, my place and my hospitality and my aroma are available to you.

Ferris

$700 return flights for me, plus a few other expenses makes this unlikely. As in, that's what you'd need to pay me to attend this SHITE.

Make sure to ask loudly and often about the Red Sox as they are doing so well at the moment. Also, Baltimore are in town on the 15th - if you go to Fenway, you might see the Orioles first baseman (currently batting an historic 0 for 56) commit hara-kiri with his bat and that would be something to see.

I can recommend some good NE USA breweries if there's any interest in being a poncy beer wanker. If not, stick to Yuengling like the working men you are. Enjoy! Good luck at Harvard, Blodz. You will knock 'em dead in that new suit.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 11, 2019, 07:51:47 PM

That place sounds ace. Ignore any recommendations I might have - I won't top that.

pancreas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 11, 2019, 07:51:47 PM

There's nowhere called Lord Bald, I suppose?

pancreas

Quote from: Twed on April 11, 2019, 07:55:17 PM

If any of you happen to make it 50 miles out to New Hampshire, or want to, my place and my hospitality and my aroma are available to you.

We could do Tues if that works for you.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on April 11, 2019, 08:01:55 PM

We can be Hobo & Bald, two world-weary Englishmen seeking refuge from the Irish mob.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twed on April 11, 2019, 07:55:17 PM

We're not on holiday you know. Can you do Tuesday?

king_tubby

QDRPHNC

I was south of Boston, in Providence. Didn't spend much time there, but did stay in a wonderful hotel that was all out of a Wes Anderson film.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 11, 2019, 08:24:45 PM
I was south of Boston, in Providence. Didn't spend much time there, but did stay in a wonderful hotel that was all out of a Wes Anderson film.

how was it?

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on April 11, 2019, 08:01:55 PM

The Phimotic Bulb must be near you.

Twed

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 11, 2019, 08:07:00 PM
We're not on holiday you know. Can you do Tuesday?
Fraid not, I need to be local all throughout the week due as somebody I know is going through a medical crisis. Broken Britain.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 11, 2019, 08:47:06 PM
how was it?

It was great! Had some really good BBQ in Albany, NY on the way down. In Providence we stayed at the Biltmore, a hotel built in 1922, currently undergoing an art-deco inspired refurbishment as the Graduate - highly recommended, very stylish and fun without being pretentious. David Sedaris put on a great reading. I was a little drunk, so I'm paraphrasing his aside about a young man sneering "tell me something I don't know," at his grandfather, and his grandfather saying, "OK, your grandma's ass can take my whole fist."

On the way back, stopped on a whim at a place called the National Hotel in Bath, NY. I think it dated from 1916. Piano bar downstairs, rooms upstairs. Might have been renovated in the 70s, hard to tell. It was a little dirty, dated, but completely charming. I think I must have got one of the last smoking rooms in America.

Providence seems like a very interesting city, and I'd be very happy to go back and some point and spend some more time there.

BlodwynPig

Glad you had fun. I was hovering about going to Providence, but now I am set.

Twed

I went to Providence once, for WaterFire. It was fine.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

See if any Cabbers near Horncastle and Skegness can make it

BlodwynPig

Cuellar

BlodwynPig

shiftwork2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 12, 2019, 08:04:29 AM
See if any Cabbers near Horncastle and Skegness can make it

Only just got this.  Well Brexit.

pancreas

7pm at the Lord Bald Hobo if we can tempt anyone into hiding.