Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What headphones should I buy

Started by Ferris, April 11, 2019, 08:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Over-ear, preferably noise canceling, preferably with a cable option (in addition to wireless) but I'm not super bothered. The noise-canceling will be nice for using them on flights, which I have to do a lot of. I'll mostly use them for music and podcasts, but may well use them for playing my PS4 in the dead of night so wide-range of output is required.

Budget $300, but I'm so pissed off with my Apple ones that keep breaking ALL THE FUCKING TIME that I am flexible and could go up more if it was worth it. No need to spend money if I don't have to though - a half-decent pair is fine (as long as they are actually half-decent).

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on these bad boys tonight so what do we recommend? I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread in the last 10 pages, and a google (site:cookdandbombd "headphones") didn't give me any results for the last year so figured I'd start a new one.

Twed

I have the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2s, and they fit your requirements, I think. They aren't going to turn on any audiophiles, but they are absolutely fine, solidly built and do all the things you asked. And they sound good enough.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on April 11, 2019, 08:41:36 PM
I have the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2s, and they fit your requirements, I think. They aren't going to turn on any audiophiles, but they are absolutely fine, solidly built and do all the things you asked. And they sound good enough.

These fit the bill. It's between these and the Sony WH-CH700N headphones. Might end up flipping a coin.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-WH-CH700N-Canceling-Headphones-WHCH700N/dp/B079GPFLT1/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=Noise+cancelling&qid=1555012181&s=electronics&sr=1-13

Dex Sawash

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 14, 2019, 07:46:21 PM
Well?

I went with the Sony WH-CH700N for $280 including tax. Ordered same night I posted here because I was fucking furious that I had 20 minutes for music, and my headphones fucking gave out and nullified my precious free time. I got them next day and they arrived fully charged which was nice.

So far, I'm enjoying them but I don't know how much of that is because they're good headphones, and how much is because I'm not used to the bigger sound of over-ear ones (and also because I'm used to the shitty Apple ones so anything half-decent might look towering in comparison).

Noise canceling
Only switched this mode on around the apartment, and it's impressive how effectively they cancel out the humdrum ambient daily whirring of refrigerators and city sounds. I haven't been in a real noise-cancelation scenario yet, but think these will be great on planes with constant droning that's easy to replicate and cancel out. That's what I bought them for, so potentially full marks there.

The sound
I had to get the app and manually turn up the bass on the eq because they're a bit puny out of the box, but I haven't had chance to spend any real time listening to music yet. First impressions - they're a bit muddy and they don't really "pop" the treble well, but I've only had about 10 minutes' worth so I can't be sure.

I'll post a bit more when I've had a chance to listen to them properly. Having an infant son has reduced the time I have for music to essentially zero, but I have a few hours of free time penciled in tomorrow evening after everyone else has gone to bed. I'm going to stay up, drink two tins of beer in the dark and crank Prince through these bad boys (like a boring Dracula).

Quote from: chocky909 on April 14, 2019, 08:19:46 PM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GDR2PH9/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_aDsSCb9BNCQQV

Considered these, and if I was at work I would have gone for them but because I'm on leave I have to adhere to some fiscal responsibility. So far, I'm happy with my choice...

Ferris

Got an hour of music in, I stand by initial fence-sitting on these. They sound.. fine. I've had to twiddle with the EQ on the app a bit more, they sound a lot better turned up but there's a lot of sound leakage which would probably irritate anyone nearby.

They're good for telly/video games, they seem to have a broad range but not much punch for music (though you can crank them up and they're not too bad). That's fine for me, all things considered and I knowingly went with the mid-range Sonys instead of the top ones so it is to be expected.

Overall I'm happy with them, but they're definitely not audiophile quality by any stretch. Just about fine for what I'm using them for so I suppose that's a win.

Paul Calf

These are among the best headphones you can buy at any price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50XBT-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B07HKVCVSY/

I've got the wired version. It's pro audio gear, so it sounds great and lasts forever.

Sebastian Cobb

Quite a few people at work swore by AKG K550's.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-Closed-Back-Reference-Over-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B0799LZ729/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=akg&qid=1555578759&s=gateway&sr=8-14

After Concorde got canned you could buy sealed British Airways branded Sennheiser SD25's (HD 25 basic edition) for £30. Those were the days. Some shit nicked mine.

Barry Admin

CaB amazon affiliate link

Moving this to Oscillations as this is a gaming forum, despite the Brass Eye-referencing forum name :-)

Ferris

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 18, 2019, 12:42:39 PM
CaB amazon affiliate link

Moving this to Oscillations as this is a gaming forum, despite the Brass Eye-referencing forum name :-)

Ah, sorry Barry!

Does the affiliate link work for amazon Canada? I'm always buying shit off amazon and could click through CaB if helps, but I don't know if it works for 'orrible foreigners outside of the UK

The Bumlord

Sony WH-1000XM3. The only cans I will COUNTENANCE.

I've got £50 (with a bit of wiggle room) to spend on a set of headphones after my girlfriend broke my beloved Sennheiser PX-100 II's. Stupid cow.

Bluetooth's preferable but it needs a wired option to connect to my Switch. Any recommendations?

Sebastian Cobb

If you want something lightweight I'd recommend Koss PortaPro's. The Bluetooth ones are more than that and not worth it though. I use them at work as I can sit there all day with them on without getting clammy ears like you get when closed headphones.