Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reading conditions.

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 12, 2019, 10:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

My wife told me last night that when she last visited her parents, the 3 of them sat in a room reading (separate books) in silence. I was horrified by this. The thought of sitting in a silent room (apart from a library) with any other person and reading just feels so awful. It's not just me is it?

I used to love reading in bed but nowadays, unless my wife goes out, have to make do with the living room. Do you have music on? There's some music that I intrinsically link with certain books due to listening to particular records whilst reading; things like Yo La Tengo's Fakebook/ Breakfast at Tiffany's and that Sunn O)))/ Boris album with Lovecraft. Don't really put music on when I read now. Boring thread. Sorry.

Sebastian Cobb

I used to be able to listen to music right loud when reading, but now I get distracted. Still stick something instrumental on though. Bit of Jimmy McGriff does the trick.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 12, 2019, 10:15:52 AM
My wife told me last night that when she last visited her parents, the 3 of them sat in a room reading (separate books) in silence. I was horrified by this. The thought of sitting in a silent room (apart from a library) with any other person and reading just feels so awful. It's not just me is it?

I find it weird but in principle I suppose it is no different to three people sitting staring at a television without talking.

Personally I go for solitary silence while reading. No music, because there will be times when the music is tonally incongruous with the text. Funky music during a sad scene, melancholy music during a light-hearted moment, etc.

Sin Agog

Introvert couples laying/sitting next to each other doing completely separate things with nary an acknowledgement of the other seems to be a necessary component to them getting along.  It's fucking weird to see people that close and yet a million miles apart, but whatever works,

Me, no music, preferably a field or valley miles from anywhere, but failing that a dark room'll do.  It's a shame that reading requires a light source when most books come alive so much better when everything is dimmed.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 12, 2019, 12:22:39 PM
Introvert couples laying/sitting next to each other doing completely separate things with nary an acknowledgement of the other seems to be a necessary component to them getting along.  It's fucking weird to see people that close and yet a million miles apart, but whatever works,

Me, no music, preferably a field or valley miles from anywhere, but failing that a dark room'll do.  It's a shame that reading requires a light source when most books come alive so much better when everything is dimmed.

Much better to be sat apart in silence, preferably with a loud clock ticking in the background. Then you can eventually slam down your dog-eared copy of To the Lighthouse and announce 'I am going for a walk'.

samadriel

I used to love reading in bed but nowadays, unless my wife goes out, have to make do with the living room. Do you have music on? There's some music that I intrinsically link with certain books due to listening to particular records whilst reading; things like Yo La Tengo's Fakebook/ Breakfast at Tiffany's and that Sunn O)))/ Boris album with Lovecraft. Don't really put music on when I read now. Boring thread. Sorry.

I listened to OK Computer on a loop while I was reading James Morrow's "Towing Jehovah", as it had just come out. It supplied an eerie ambience that really enhanced an already-good book, and to this day, the latter tracks of OK Computer, which I've listened to less than the first half, give me flashbacks to scenes and images from the book.

Dannyhood91

I can read in silence but I often feel I need music on. Usually something instrumental. I had Ornette Coleman on today while reading for example.

Read in silence late at night, but it feels spooky doing it in silence during daylight.

buttgammon

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 13, 2019, 01:25:02 AM
Read in silence late at night, but it feels spooky doing it in silence during daylight.

This is true.

Ideal reading conditions vary from book to book, even down to the amount I'll read in one sitting. I read the entirety of Thomas Bernhard's Concrete in one go the other day, not something I've done very often but very apt for a book that consists of a single, sprawling paragraph.

Josef K

Noise cancelling headphones and a rain sounds app normally gets me through a lengthy tube journey with a book. Can sometimes manage with music if it's not a demanding read, but definitely no vocals.

daf

I suppose it's the same with those people who could do their homework to music * - I never understood how anyone could do this.

Personally, I don't have music on when I'm reading, and any singing will distract my brain completely, so even if I manage to get a page into my brainbox, it won't register - all I'll remember is Bobby Vinton bouncing rubber balls, or Kate Bush chasing tenners down the street.

I even have to shut the door if there's a tiny mumble of innaudible telly coming from the next room - total butterfly brain.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (Annie Nightingale listeners used to go on about this a lot for some reason)

holyzombiejesus

Do any of you lot read whilst walking? I've seen a couple of people do this and I've been so tempted to trip them up. One of them was reading one of those Harry Potter books with a grown up cover.

Cuellar

Glebe

Nice and quiet in the bedroom.

Mr Banlon

Are they Quakers ?

holyzombiejesus

No, although they're from The Fens which is probably similar.

chveik

it's perfectly fine. hope this helps.

sponk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 15, 2019, 04:39:55 PM
Do any of you lot read whilst walking? I've seen a couple of people do this and I've been so tempted to trip them up. One of them was reading one of those Harry Potter books with a grown up cover.

A friend once told me about their friend who did this on the way to work. "He's so obsessed with books he reads while WALKING to work! It takes him 50 minutes when it should take 15, because he has to walk so slowly and not trip". I asked why he didn't just walk devote 35 minutes to undisturbed reading at home then walk to work. Seems more efficient.

surreal

Had a problem finding a good location for reading for a few years now, which is why I don't read anywhere near as much as I want to.  if I read in bed or on a comfy sofa I'll be asleep within 10 minutes guaranteed.  I have to have music quietly, as I can;t bear total silence - even have to have music on when I sleep.  Best for reading for me is something instrumental, preferably ambient, and random so my go to is usually SomaFM.

Irony is I can scroll through reddit or twitter and read blogs and articles for hours, but books not so much

Sebastian Cobb

Last year I quite liked going down the park for a couple of hours and reading in the sun but then when I was sat sideways across a bench a swan got all up in my face and I had to be rescued by an 8 year old girl who lured it away with some bread.

PlanktonSideburns

Used to love getting drunk and reading

Getting really enthusiastic about the brilliance of a line, reading it again thinking fuck me this is brilliant! Love it

Captain Crunch

If I'm at home I just read and enjoy the quiet but if I'm on the train I've got a folder of music stuff I can use to drown people out but still concentrate.  Stuff like Causa Sui, Yuri Gagarin, Wiht, Tuber etc. 

Timothy

On public transport with music. At home in silence. Can't concentrate on a book when there's music playing.

thenoise

My wife and I occasionally study our respective subjects sitting next to each other in silence.  IS tHat ok??/

It would be weirder to me if they were all reading the same book at the same time.  or should the house patriarch read it out while everyone else listens attentively?

sponk

Sometimes Granular on Spotify is good for blocking out external sound in busy environments.

Captain Crunch

This site has been recommended a few times for blocking out noise:

https://coffitivity.com/

shh

I'm slightly in awe of those people who read books going up escalators, walking around train stations, etc. A mixture of awe and contempt.

buttgammon

I saw a woman reading a book while walking up the street earlier; I never knew that actually happened in real life.

Brundle-Fly

By the pool on holiday. Bliss.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 12, 2019, 12:22:39 PM

I tried reading in the countryside but the nature really distracts me. "Nothing is so necessary for a young man as the company of intelligent...", oh a badger!