Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 8 [split topic]

Started by The Lurker, April 12, 2019, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

New series starts May 8th.

(Renamed for clarity)

Ja'moke

Nice! The line-up doesn't seem particularly thrilling, but the format is so good it almost always overcomes the poorest of line-ups (except for Series 6).

olliebean

Sinha appears to be doing an Arthur Dent in the cast pic:

Joe Thomas looking very awkward, they should have put him at the other end so he'd be facing inwards instead of turning his back on it as if he doesn't really want to be there. Or at least told him to look less fed up when they took his pic.

jsgibble

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 12, 2019, 10:09:37 PM
Nice! The line-up doesn't seem particularly thrilling, but the format is so good it almost always overcomes the poorest of line-ups (except for Series 6).

It should probably stick to people who got famous through comedy, especially standup.

Small Man Big Horse

I still think the fourth was the worst, the sixth suffered from being ten episodes with a not particularly great batch of contestants but I was still really fond of Liza Tarbuck and Tim Vine and no one actively annoyed me, whereas with the fourth both Mel Giedroyc and Lolly Adofope irritated me no end. It came as quite a surprise with the former as well as I used to like her but I found her really bland and annoying on the show, and the only contestant I really enjoyed was Hugh Dennis.

BritishHobo

DrGreggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 13, 2019, 08:24:28 PM
I still think the fourth was the worst, the sixth suffered from being ten episodes with a not particularly great batch of contestants but I was still really fond of Liza Tarbuck and Tim Vine and no one actively annoyed me, whereas with the fourth both Mel Giedroyc and Lolly Adofope irritated me no end. It came as quite a surprise with the former as well as I used to like her but I found her really bland and annoying on the show, and the only contestant I really enjoyed was Hugh Dennis.

s6: Tim and Liza were both good, but the three others did nothing of note and dragged everything down overall, which is why I think it's the worst season.

s4: Hugh was a revelation and came across as your mate from school's slightly weird Dad. I thought Mel was OK, and I actually found her giddy optimism rather endearing. Lolly was rotten though - just fucking boring throughout.

The Lurker

I didn't mind Asim in S6, the eight bollocked cat was one of my favourite moments of that series.

I rewatched Taskmaster recently, S4 definitely wasn't as bad as I remembered but it was still the worst series in my opinion. Lolly still annoyed me on it though, she was incredibly pleased with herself when she did well (admittely, this wasn't often), made an incredibly annoying face whenever her name was announced at the beginning of the show and not forgetting the fact that she was shit and not funny.

MigraineBoy

On Off Menu & Buxton's podcasts I really like Lolly, which is at odds to my take on her during Taskmaster.  Was she aloof? There under duress?  I dunno, but across the other series there doesn't seem to be another contestant that sucked as much joy out of the episodes.

Puce Moment

Someone erroneously informed me that both Adam Buxton and Vic Reeves were going to be on this series so I am naturally very disappointed.

Old Thrashbarg

Just finished a rewatch of series 4 and Lolly wasn't anywhere near as annoying as the first time around. I think this was probably because I wasn't expecting her to produce anything of worth, and she didn't. And everyone else was decent with Hugh and, unexpectedly, Noel both being great throughout. I wasn't particularly negative about the series before anyway (though had it ranked as the second worst, just above 6), but I really enjoyed it second time around.

Dogbeard

I'm in the middle of rewatching 4 at the moment. I agree it's the second worst after 6, but overall there's nothing about the lineup that annoys me (the only person to actively do that over the whole run is Russell Howard). Mel is very twee, which is sort of grating at times, but it makes for some funny contrasting character-type interactions with Davies and she's clearly a nice person which always helps a bit. I seem to recall a her-only task later in the series where they attempted to push the boundaries of her good cheer - looking forward to seeing that bit again. Lolly is a bit rubbish but again that leads to some good piss-taking from Davies. Fielding is fine and has some good approaches to tasks but there's something really distracting about some of the facial expressions he makes. Dennis is agreeable enough and even though some of his task attempts are pretty low-effort I like the way he is acquiescent in his role of the naff older bloke. Lycett I find pretty solid.

Not too excited by the series 8 lineup on paper. Sinha is interesting, but there's no one there that really excites me and Sanders has actively annoyed me the two times I've seen her (RHLSTP and Hypothetical). But then this is Taskmaster so I'm more than prepared to generally enjoy the series and perhaps even be surprised by some of the lineup.

Timothy

First Taskmaster series I don't recognize/know any of the comedians.

selectivememory

I know of Paul Sinha and Lou Sanders, though I don't know much about them, but hopefully they'll be strong enough to carry the series. Never heard of the other three though.

Should point out though that before watching S7, which turned out to be my favourite series, I'd never heard of Phil or Jessica and only knew of Kerry because she was in Derek. I think they all contributed a great deal to the series and Jessica in particular is one of the best contestants they've had so far. Obviously that series still seemed stronger on paper because I had high expectations of James and Rhod, and they didn't disappoint, but still, definitely going to be keeping an open mind until I've seen a few episodes of the new series. If it's better than S6, then I think it'll be a success. Hopefully there'll be some bigger names on board for S9.

jimboslice

I thought Tim Vine was disappointing in S6. I had high hopes for him too, thought Taskmaster would be right in his wheelhouse. Tarbuck carried it.

There's no way that Paul Sinha isn't gonna be great in the new series though. Lou Sanders could definitley go either way though.

A bit surprised some of you don't know Sian Gibson, Car Share was hugely popular.

bigfatheart

Wait until George Ezra does series 23.

sponk

I saw the Inbetweeners guy being interviewed on 4Music years ago and he was such a painfully awkward, miserable sod that I immedieately took a shine to him and started watching TI. I haven't watched TM for ages but I might give it a go to see what he's like. Drunken Johnny Vegas would be my nomination for the perfect contestant for the show.

Sin Agog

I'm not sure anyone's brought up the fact that Davies will almost certainly slip into his teachery In Betweeners role with that dour lad for possibly comic effect.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Timothy on April 15, 2019, 11:52:53 AM
First Taskmaster series I don't recognize/know any of the comedians.

That's what I thought too until I looked at the picture and realised I recognise all of them except for the bloke in the glasses laghing and pointing at jumping carshare lady.

chrispmartha

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 20, 2019, 06:48:52 PM
A bit surprised some of you don't know Sian Gibson, Car Share was hugely popular.

Also plays Patricia in LOG, one of the greatest scenes in LOG when pops has them over for dinner.

The Lurker

Lou Sanders was the only one I didn't know of. I have heard mixed reviews since though.

Definitely correct about Joe Thomas coming across as a bit awkward, he (and the other Inbetweeners) did give of the impression they didn't want to be there on that Inbetweeners reunion show.

The Lurker

Greg and Alex were on today's One Show. 25 mins in: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0004ptw/the-one-show-01052019

Features a clip of the new series, as well as the Mayor of Chesham (of series two fame) turning up in the audience.

Hey, Punk!

I think Paul Sinha's a decent bloke, after they dropped the whole 'chasers are cunts' thing, he's revealed himself to be quite a relaxing and comfortable presence. We also found out that Mark is an authentically insufferable smug cunt.

beanheadmcginty

Blimey, Sinha's lost a hell of a lot of weight hasn't he?

Bad Ambassador

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a27352989/taskmaster-dave-alex-horne-reveals-who-turned-show-down/

Dawn French and Richard Ayoade both agreed to do the show in principle at some point, but said no due to work commitments.

Clownbaby

For me there's  been less of a correlation between people in the lineup I already liked and them being the best Taskmaster contestants than I thought there would be, so I'm ambivalent about the lineup.

SteveDave

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on May 04, 2019, 05:37:31 AM
We also found out that Mark is an authentically insufferable smug cunt.

My friend was on the Chase the other week and handed that fellow his arse to him. He spent his £7k on paying off his debts though. Idiot.