Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 8 [split topic]

Started by The Lurker, April 12, 2019, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat FM

Iain Sterling has definitely read this thread and it makes him sad. This pleases me.

i really like Joe. I get the impression he isnt used to having to compete with a room full of noisy comedians to get a laugh and normally just makes quiet rye observations to his mates.

BeardFaceMan

He whispers sweet nothings to them about bread?

bigfatheart

Oh, Iain, you've aimed for James Acaster and landed on Josh Widdicombe.

Ja'moke

Iain Sterling is my least favourite Taskmaster contestant ever. There have been rubbish contestants in the past, like Lolly, but ultimately inoffensive. And there's been a few contestants who I'm not particularly a fan of outside of the show, but Taskmaster has always brought the best out of them. Iain though is just mean-spirited and not even in a fun way. He's like one of those Big Brother contestants who would constantly start arguments just because they like the sound of their own voice.

You can tell Greg and his fellow contestants can barely tolerate him. And I'm glad that team task showed him up to be a complete dick... at least he realised how much of a twat he's coming across I suppose.

On the other hand, Joe Thomas is really growing on me, him and Sian working together so well is nice to see after their awkward first meeting. Lou is still running away with it this series though.

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 29, 2019, 10:08:12 PM

You can tell Greg and his fellow contestants can barely tolerate him. And I'm glad that team task showed him up to be a complete dick... at least he realised how much of a twat he's coming across I suppose.

Do you think he realised it based on his behaviour in the clip or based on the reaction in the room to the clip though? Because I can't imagine anyone in the room watching that and not thinking he was acting like a passive-aggressive twat.

selectivememory

Heh, yeah it was interesting to see Paul have a pop at Iain during the prize task, and then the team task later on was very revealing. I feel like Greg is barely disguising his contempt for the guy at the moment. Seems to be an unusual and slightly uncomfortable atmosphere in the studio sections at times, though I guess it can be hard to tell with how much editing goes on with this show.

I am really enjoying the series though. The other four are all pretty good, and I'm finding Lou to be a very strong contestant; both very good at the tasks, and funny and eccentric - loved her response to the "engage a toddler" task, and the pan throw at the end was awesome. She must be quite far ahead in the scores already.

The toilet seat task was a bit of a dud though, but so far generally think there's been a good standard of task set for them.

EbbyVale

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on May 29, 2019, 10:31:10 PM
Do you think he realised it based on his behaviour in the clip or based on the reaction in the room to the clip though? Because I can't imagine anyone in the room watching that and not thinking he was acting like a passive-aggressive twat.

He's also done a lot of mock sadness and contrition in the studio conversations before, so I wasn't sure if he just thought he should perform embarrassment or genuinely realized what a fucking bellend he'd been.

Wish Lou hadn't apologized to him, and wish that when he went on about what they were doing seven minutes ago he'd been reminded that that was when he was insisting they pointlessly drag a bathtub around.

Virgo76

A great finish to this week's show.
I assumed the guest toddler was Alex Horne's own daughter? Apparently not.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 29, 2019, 10:08:12 PM
Iain Sterling is my least favourite Taskmaster contestant ever. There have been rubbish contestants in the past, like Lolly, but ultimately inoffensive. And there's been a few contestants who I'm not particularly a fan of outside of the show, but Taskmaster has always brought the best out of them. Iain though is just mean-spirited and not even in a fun way. He's like one of those Big Brother contestants who would constantly start arguments just because they like the sound of their own voice.

I've always found children's presenting to be one of the most mercenary strands of showbusiness, packed to the gills with gimlet-eyed careerists scrabbling their way to prominence through painfully wide smiles and the energy of ambition.  Place them in a more human context like here and the aggression really starts to shine through.

Virgo76

Exactly. I think we can all remember the example of Brian Conley.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 30, 2019, 06:50:16 AM
A great finish to this week's show.
I assumed the guest toddler was Alex Horne's own daughter? Apparently not.

Was it not? I'm sure she called him daddy.

I hadn't quite got the Iain Stirling hate in previous weeks, finding him irritating rather than nasty, but yeah he's started to come across as very performed and calculated both in the studio and in the tasks, and then he really did just seem like a dickhead in the bath task. Seems a very cynical chap. Paul and Greg definitely can't stand him.

Wet Blanket

Aside from Stirling coming across like a bell, it made for an entertaining real-life example of the old Arabella Weir Fast Show sketches where the men simply ignore the more level headed opinions of the woman until it becomes obvious she was right to start with. And then she apologised!

gilbertharding

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 30, 2019, 11:52:51 AM
Was it not? I'm sure she called him daddy.

Yeah, she said 'daddy' when leaving in one of the clips - I presume to Alex, and not to her dad who might have been off-camera.

She made a change from the pet Swede of previous series.

It also made a change to hear an audience just beside themselves with the cuteness of it all. It clearly even melted Greg's heart (a bit).

gilbertharding

Quote from: EbbyVale on May 30, 2019, 01:02:10 AM
He's also done a lot of mock sadness and contrition in the studio conversations before, so I wasn't sure if he just thought he should perform embarrassment or genuinely realized what a fucking bellend he'd been.

Wish Lou hadn't apologized to him, and wish that when he went on about what they were doing seven minutes ago he'd been reminded that that was when he was insisting they pointlessly drag a bathtub around.

There was a reaction shot of him when Greg gave them 0 points for the task and he was clearly pissed off and holding it in so I'm guessing he was reading the vibe from the audience and faking it.

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned yet but Alex's offscreen reaction noise during Greg's intro was a real highlight.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on May 30, 2019, 12:17:10 PM
There was a reaction shot of him when Greg gave them 0 points for the task and he was clearly pissed off and holding it in so I'm guessing he was reading the vibe from the audience and faking it.

He did look like someone trying to hide their obvious anger with a fake smile at the reveal of the book hitting the floor.

Can't remember Sinha's line in the prize task exactly, but I think it was "dysfunctionally over-competitive". Which definitely seemed to touch a nerve with Iain, and Greg looked as though he was delighted that someone had found the phrase he'd been looking for.

As annoying as Iain has been from what we've seen broadcast, their reactions do suggest there's a lot more that's gone on as well. Outtakes from this series will be interesting

bigfatheart

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 30, 2019, 01:58:46 PM
As annoying as Iain has been from what we've seen broadcast, their reactions do suggest there's a lot more that's gone in as well. Outtakes from this series will be interesting

I believe someone on Reddit said a few weeks back that there was a team that had 'come to blows'. Dunno if last night was what they were referring to or if there's more to come, but unless they were using the phrase 'come to blows' in a very loose sense I'd guess the latter. It seems quite early in the series to show a team falling apart, certainly - the tension between James and Rhod only started to come out in the last few episodes of the last series.

I think what I'm saying is, I'll be very happy if it turns out Paul's fucked shoulder came about while he was repeatedly slapping Iain.

gilbertharding

It's a funny thing about the format of the show that Iain can be as unlikable as he is (and you can fill in your personal least favourite people from each series), and it somehow just adds to the comedy.

I think it's the certainty that no-one's going to get away with it. Whenever it's happened in previous series, if someone's been overly wacky, or someone's been completely clueless, or whatever if it hasn't been your cup of tea for some reason, someone else will have made something funny out of it. And anyway - whoever it is will only have focus for less than 10 minutes out of the hour, so fuck it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: bigfatheart on May 30, 2019, 02:24:33 PM
It seems quite early in the series to show a team falling apart, certainly - the tension between James and Rhod only started to come out in the last few episodes of the last series.

I suppose you wonder if they film them in order. Joe's surprise and subsequent awkwardness at meeting Sian in the house suggests that might have been the first team task they filmed.

Utter Shit

The group tasks are filmed towards the end of the process, or at least in the last series they were.

bigfatheart

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 30, 2019, 03:16:02 PM
I suppose you wonder if they film them in order. Joe's surprise and subsequent awkwardness at meeting Sian in the house suggests that might have been the first team task they filmed.

I think they generally show the first team task filmed first - most series the first team task has shown them meeting for the first time. Beyond that, I imagine they try to strategically assign tasks to certain episodes, and if there's a narrative like a rivalry that can be set up, then that's something they can do. It seems strange to use something like a falling out, which'll cast all subsequent team tasks in a certain light, so early on if there's not more to come.

I'm finding this series absolute dog Todds.

Thankyou for listening.

The Lurker

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on May 30, 2019, 12:17:10 PM

Yeah, I definitely get the impression that the bloke is trying way too hard

BeardFaceMan

Yeah, and all his talk of being in the Champion of Champions episode last week was incredibly cringe worthy. Sinha is still my favorite, I'm starting to warm to Joe and Sian a bit, still cold on Lou, but Ian Sterling is just an absolute prick which would be forgivable if he was funny with it but he isnt, he just comes across as a petulant child. I'd never laid eyes on him before Taskmaster and if hes a kids tv presenter then thank fuck I'll never have to lay eyes on him again once this show is over. If this is him trying to sell himself to an adult audience he really needs to rethink his approach.

imitationleather

Is Love Island a kids show then? That's the only thing I know he's involved in, although I've never seen it.

BeardFaceMan

Ive no idea, I thought id seen mention of him being a kids tv presenter, which would explain a lot about him, I'd never heard of him until this. Although there is some crossover between how you talk to kids and how you talk to contestants on Love Island.

Wet Blanket

He was Hacker the Dog's sidekick, which at first left me prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he's blown it by being a bawbag.

Clownbaby

I keep glazing over and forgetting to pay attention when the tasks are read out and then I don't fully know what's going on cause I'm a bit bored frankly

Sinha and his thresher shark was my favourite bit. Oh man if I was the three year old I would have been all up in that thresher shark

DrGreggles

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 30, 2019, 06:00:10 PM
He was Hacker the Dog's sidekick, which at first left me prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he's blown it by being a bawbag.

Hacker used to show him up as a prick too.