Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:52:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 8 [split topic]

Started by The Lurker, April 12, 2019, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 30, 2019, 06:25:50 PM
Hacker used to show him up as a prick too.

This is a desolation-level name dropping, but I know a couple of people who work with the Hacker puppeteer, and I've been in a pub with him sans dog and heard him call a cunt a cunt. I'll see if I can get some goss!

There was a moment in the puppet task where he mentioned in the studio that he used to hang around drinking beer and making puppets with the puppeteer which made me want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but my god he's hard to watch. It seemed like he was close to flipping (lol) out during the pan task.

Phil Fletcher (Hacker puppeteer) has been on a few Ian Boldsworth podcasts and he seems a lovely guy.

Wet Blanket

He was a pal of Chris Sievey too. He's in the Being Frank documentary

DrGreggles

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on May 30, 2019, 07:18:29 PM
Phil Fletcher (Hacker puppeteer) has been on a few Ian Boldsworth podcasts and he seems a lovely guy.

Yes, he's great.
The Fubar show when he was one of Ian's guests was fantastic too.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 30, 2019, 06:55:28 PMThere was a moment in the puppet task where he mentioned in the studio that he used to hang around drinking beer and making puppets with the puppeteer which made me want to give him the benefit of the doubt

Really? Because as I recall the context of that was "I know how to do this and they've all done it wrong."

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on May 30, 2019, 10:01:25 PM
Really? Because as I recall the context of that was "I know how to do this and they've all done it wrong."

Yes, that was there in spades. I've got used to giving everyone the benefit of the doubt on this show though cos so many who start off poorly turn out to be great.

Spode

I still can't work our whether he was genuinely horrible in the group task or was squirming because he'd realised everybody had saw through his angry man gimmick and hadn't found it one bit funny. Either way, his squirming reaction almost made his inclusion worthwhile. Especially after the way he was talking directly into the camera with the smug look of someone who either thought he was 100% in the right or at least would have the entire audience in bits at his antics.

Up there with Russell Howard so far as the only two contestants for who I couldn't find a single redeeming feature.

touchingcloth

When he wasn't being a LAD I found the Russell one could be endearing. And I hate Russell.

Ja'moke

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 30, 2019, 10:24:47 PM
When he wasn't being a LAD I found the Russell one could be endearing. And I hate Russell.

Yeah, Russell Howard's laddishness was grating at times, but I never found him particularly mean-spirited.

Love Alex Horne. I reckon he might our new Peter Cook.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on May 31, 2019, 02:08:22 AM
Love Alex Horne. I reckon he might our new Peter Cook.

He's great. Rapid wit with a perfect dry delivery, on-the-nose surrealness, and the ability to know out a killer format. The show wouldn't be half as good without him.

Yeah. He just seems to be able to deal with any situation with ease and rapid wit.

Love that

Sin Agog

Rewatching some of the earlier series for the first time.  I'm not sure I've seen anyone bring this up before, but Greg appears to have been asked to subtly work a few potential episode titles into his banter, a la that Alan Davies almost-a-podcast on Dave.

Also...calm down with the Horne-Cook comparisons!

imitationleather

I had to pause episode 5 while Iain Sterling was showing off all his Greg clothes during the prize task as the smugness was enraging me and I've not been able to go back to it yet. I guess he saw Rhod Gilbert with his Greg photo and thought he could emulate that. You were wrong, Iain!

The only saving grace was Horne. He was like watching a young Peter Cook.

Puce Moment

I have this fantasy that he has done something really stupid like get a tattoo, or maybe he has a tattoo of Josh Widdecombe being tattooed or something equally fucking stupid. And I completely agree that he thought the over-competitiveness schtick would be really funny, but just makes him look really unpleasantly aggressive (maybe because of his scotch accent?).

Do you think Greg really did manage to guess all of those pockets? He was uncannily on the nose. That's the thing about Horne - like a young Peter Cook he is funny, surreal but occasionally quite predictable.

bigfatheart

Thought it was a good episode, not quite on a par with the last two which were both quite strong, but still pretty good. It's been a good series - not a classic, but of a decent standard.

Kind of sad that every time a previous contestant shows up for a small cameo it makes me get a little bit excited. I think even in a few series time, when Iain inevitably returns (probably storming the stage during a taping to moan about not being on the show anymore) I'll still feel rewarded in some way.

Sin Agog

Quote from: imitationleather on June 06, 2019, 05:47:19 PM
The only saving grace was Horne. He was like watching a young Peter Cook.

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 06, 2019, 06:15:15 PMThat's the thing about Horne - like a young Peter Cook he is funny, surreal but occasionally quite predictable.

I've waited my whole life to have an enemy, and now, just like buses, two have arrived at once.

Just like Peter Cook didn't just do Behind The Fridge, Alex Horne won't just do Taskmaster.

We've got it all to come, when you think about it.

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 06, 2019, 06:15:15 PM
I have this fantasy that he has done something really stupid like get a tattoo, or maybe he has a tattoo of Josh Widdecombe being tattooed or something equally fucking stupid. And I completely agree that he thought the over-competitiveness schtick would be really funny, but just makes him look really unpleasantly aggressive (maybe because of his scotch accent?).

I think the problem is it's too obvious he's not only been watching the early series but actively studying them for tips on how to be memorable. It feels desperate.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought this was the weakest so far, I enjoyed it to a certain extent but bar the injury and the ball throwing tasks they were a bit bland, with the table tennis balls one really boring me. Still, it's been a decent series overall and I'm sure it's just a minor blip.

Ja'moke

Wasn't there a bamboo chute on the table during the sand task? Surely the trick there was to position that under the bucket and use it as a sort of slide system. Unless it wasn't a chute and my eyesight has gone to shit.

I've noticed they haven't been revealing the overall series scores, probably because Lou must be storming ahead of the others.

I think my favourite thing I've ever heard on this forum (and I've been here for 25 years, this year!)

"Someone gas this Ian Sterling cunt"

I dont mind him but that is ace

DrGreggles

I thought Stirling came across far better in this episode. Possibly as a reaction to how bad he looked last week, but credit where credit's due.
The toadying* up to Greg in the prize task is fine by me anyway, as I always think it's good.
He's obviously everyone's least favourite contestant, but I'm really enjoying the other 4 and the series in general.

*never typed that before - looks weird

He seemed genuinely life changingly embarrassed when he watched back the him and Lou task.

I hate Lou Sanders but now I love Lou Sanders.

She is a saint, for not REALLY embarrassing him.

olliebean

Quote from: imitationleather on June 06, 2019, 05:47:19 PM
I had to pause episode 5 while Iain Sterling was showing off all his Greg clothes during the prize task as the smugness was enraging me and I've not been able to go back to it yet. I guess he saw Rhod Gilbert with his Greg photo and thought he could emulate that. You were wrong, Iain!

Also trying to Wang it up a bit, I reckon.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on June 06, 2019, 10:38:54 PM
He seemed genuinely life changingly embarrassed when he watched back the him and Lou task.

I hate Lou Sanders but now I love Lou Sanders.

She is a saint, for not REALLY embarrassing him.

I've always liked Lou whenever she's appeared as herself on things, but never been too keen on her material.
Her last show was decent enough though, so maybe she's finally finding the right balance in her live stuff.
She could be brilliant.

Ja'moke

I wasn't familiar with Lou at all before this series; I think she's great on this.

Sin Agog

Lou can so easily come across as a scatty wreck (or a hot mess as the Americans call it) .  Most of that Fubar show she did with Richard Herring for example.  There was this kind of tumbling, shambolic quality to everything she did for awhile there.  Seems like she's honed it into something quite interesting recently, though.  Like her on this, and she had a nice turn as an over-eager events coordinator in that Karl Pilkington series as well.