Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:57:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 8 [split topic]

Started by The Lurker, April 12, 2019, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: chveik on June 20, 2019, 12:17:10 AM
it's the subreddit "Not a panel show"

But it is a panel show...

The panelshow reddit is the place to look, although last night's doesn't seem to be there yet.

Puce Moment

I know it's mid-par Taskmaster compared to previous series' but I enjoyed last night's episode. I have to agree that the tasks are starting to get surprisingly plops but I wonder if the appeal of the shitness of the show (in terms of budget) is starting to wear off. Looking at previous series the tasks are often really simple and cheap (put two inflatable balls on the top of that hill, for instance). It does rely a lot on the contestants. However, some of the best tasks in previous series' are the group tasks where they are asked to make a film trailer, or a silhouette, or an episode of a soap. I think the album cover task was a good example of where this current group's skills do not lie, which is a shame.

Quote from: olliebean on June 20, 2019, 12:13:36 PM

The panelshow reddit is the place to look, although last night's doesn't seem to be there yet.

Use UKPanelShowsOnly instead, it's where the uploader just puts all the links without the clutter of all the What are y'alls favorite pedantic David Mitchell rants??

Re: this series, I always think I quite like it but then every week I end up having to watch half of it again because I completely lost concentration while it was on. The tasks aren't really up to it this time, I think.

olliebean

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on June 20, 2019, 02:43:12 PM
Use UKPanelShowsOnly instead, it's where the uploader just puts all the links without the clutter of all the What are y'alls favorite pedantic David Mitchell rants??

It's there now, but in the meantime I was forced to watch it on UKTVPlay, with adverts, if you can conceive of such a thing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on June 20, 2019, 12:13:36 PM

There's also a specific Taskmaster sub-reddit where episodes are posted, and the new one is normally up there, though not today for some reason - https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/

Edit: Ah, seems to be just the ukplay link. Anyhow, someone normally puts them up here after too: https://rlsbb.unblocked.lc/searchp?s=taskmaster

DrGreggles

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 20, 2019, 01:01:00 PM
some of the best tasks in previous series' are the group tasks where they are asked to make a film trailer, or a silhouette, or an episode of a soap.

Weirdly those are my least favourite.
I prefer the 'do this with this thing without doing this' tasks.

imitationleather

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 20, 2019, 07:36:58 PM
Weirdly those are my least favourite.
I prefer the 'do this with this thing without doing this' tasks.

I agree. I don't like the ones that require loads of props so much because there's too much setting up that we don't get to see.

I'm thoroughly bored of this series now.

Old Thrashbarg

I think the tasks this series have been of a poorer standard than previous series, but I am enjoying the panel a lot more than I thought I would, especially after the first episode.

The brilliant orange juice prank from Alex at the start is worth a mention, one of my favourite moments from any series I think.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 20, 2019, 08:48:43 PM
The brilliant orange juice prank from Alex at the start is worth a mention, one of my favourite moments from any series I think.

The Greg & Alex is always good fun.

chveik

jimboslice

Quote from: olliebean on June 20, 2019, 03:48:22 PM
It's there now, but in the meantime I was forced to watch it on UKTVPlay, with adverts, if you can conceive of such a thing.

For some reason the adverts on the UKTVPlay site never actually play for me. Presumably uBlock or Ghostery just takes care of business.

The Lurker

olliebean

Quote from: jimboslice on June 21, 2019, 07:31:08 AM
For some reason the adverts on the UKTVPlay site never actually play for me. Presumably uBlock or Ghostery just takes care of business.

I was using the Roku app to watch on the telly, so no chance of blocking ads.

This new Peter Cook thing though..

I wasn't convinced to start with but I can sort of see it now!

bigfatheart

After a few flat episodes thought that was a really good one. Some better tasks than the usual standard of this series, some memorable cock-ups, some cheating and a properly dramatic live task. Properly cheered when Paul won, too.

Ja'moke

Yep, after my doubts last week, they pulled out a classic episode this week. It had a bit of everything. Fun tasks, various approaches, some of them hilariously bad, and even a bit of cheating. I also enjoy it when they reference past series too, so that 'draw a previous contestant in the sand task' was right up my street ("Oh yeah that series where we had the old Chinese bloke.").

Oh and Greg's "hammering at me like some sort of aquatic sewing machine" properly did me in.

DrGreggles

Great episode. Definitely the best of s8.
Paul accidentally catching a ball while celebrating catching a ball was genuinely amazing.

Puce Moment

Fantastic episode - highlight of the series so far. It was interesting seeing Ian's continuing contrition regarding his shitty attitude towards Lou. He must be getting retro-fit sweats about that every morning.

My favourite moment was Alex not underatanding Joe's greeting, and then making him repeat it like he's an alien. He's really gloriously awkward.

Gregory Torso

Yeah that was a brilliant episode, everyone on top form. Paul Sinha has been particularly great for me, having previously only known of him as "some bloke off the Chase", seeing him bumbling around in a dressing gown, bewildered and lost, fantastic. I've even come around to Ian, slightly.

Utter Shit

Really enjoyed last night's episode. The cheating was so funny, particularly the fact that Joe got punished too. Definitely agree that this series didn't look as good on paper but has worked out surprisingly well - I don't hate Stirling really but don't find him entertaining either, while the rest of them are great.

olliebean

Just realised that the UKTV YouTube channel has been posting outtakes, as usual, but not adding them to the "Taskmaster Outtakes" playlist that I subscribed to in order not to miss them. They don't make things easy for us. <fume>

gilbertharding

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 26, 2019, 11:52:09 PM
Fantastic episode - highlight of the series so far. It was interesting seeing Ian's continuing contrition regarding his shitty attitude towards Lou. He must be getting retro-fit sweats about that every morning.

No-one seemed to pick up on Lou's weary/confused "Ok... I'm just off to... the shed," while shambling in the direction of the caravan.

Sian's cheating was fantastic - so funny because of its contradiction to the 'adorable pixie' thing she seems to give off.

Utter Shit

I had a quick look last night about the next series, and it looks like it starts filming the studio stuff in mid-July - based on previous series I would imagine that means it won't be too long before it's back on our screens. Anyone heard any rumours about potential contestants?

bigfatheart

David Baddiel has let slip multiple times that he'll be doing it at some point, so he'd be a decent bet.

Puce Moment

This is probably a split topic from this already split topic thread, but do people have realistic wish lists for this show?

Mine:
Kathy Burke
Johnny Vegas
Richard Ayoade
Adam Buxton
Rebecca Front

Actually, Burke isn't very realistic is it? She would never do it.

Interesting that in the pre-series interviews Alex intimates that they have asked Jack Dee multiple times to appear. I also hear that Simon Amstell is a fan but has turned it down every year.

BeardFaceMan

Wasn't Ayoade up for doing it but had to cancel because he was busy? I actually think Jonathan Ross would be good on this,  I'd like to see Bill Bailey too.

Gerald Fjord

Really enjoyed that last episode. Even reversed my policy re: gassing Ian Stirling (new policy: don't).

bigfatheart

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 27, 2019, 07:59:23 PM
Actually, Burke isn't very realistic is it? She would never do it.

Interesting that in the pre-series interviews Alex intimates that they have asked Jack Dee multiple times to appear. I also hear that Simon Amstell is a fan but has turned it down every year.

Kathy Burke has said that she loves the show but wouldn't want to do it. I know Alex gives Jack Dee as his answer whenever he's asked who his dream contestant is - he worked on the Celebrity Big Brother series with him on, and cites Jack Dee trying to dig his way out with a spoon as one of the big influences on creating Taskmaster.

Utter Shit

Alex Horne worked on CBB?!

I would love to see John Robins on this, although he would massively split people with his peasantry and obsessiveness. Big mate of Alex though so it's definitely a possibility.

I'm expecting Ed Gamble, Rose Matafeo, Nick Helm, John Robins, Cariad Lloyd, Suzi Ruffell, Victoria Coren Mitchell... basically anyone who has an existing relationship with Dave and appeared on stuff like Ultimate Worrier or Hypothetical.