Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 8 [split topic]

Started by The Lurker, April 12, 2019, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 27, 2019, 08:10:50 PM
Wasn't Ayoade up for doing it but had to cancel because he was busy? I actually think Jonathan Ross would be good on this,  I'd like to see Bill Bailey too.

I can't stand Ross and think he'd be unbearable, there aren't many people who could make me stop watching the show but he'd be one of them.

Quote from: bigfatheart on June 27, 2019, 08:50:08 PM
Kathy Burke has said that she loves the show but wouldn't want to do it. I know Alex gives Jack Dee as his answer whenever he's asked who his dream contestant is - he worked on the Celebrity Big Brother series with him on, and cites Jack Dee trying to dig his way out with a spoon as one of the big influences on creating Taskmaster.

I worked on the first Celebrity Big Brother series as well as a logger, and know that was Horne's role too, but I have no memory of him in the slightest which is odd.

olliebean

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 27, 2019, 09:40:38 PM
I would love to see John Robins on this, although he would massively split people with his peasantry and obsessiveness. Big mate of Alex though so it's definitely a possibility.

*pedantry

Hat FM

surely fern brady will be on it soon? tho is she on much dave stuff? surprised there havent been any leaks about the next series.

It's surprising how few leaks there are seeing as a lot of it's filmed in public places. If I lived near the house I'd always be looking over the fence. The only leaks are when contestants let slip that they've been filming.

I just hope they always stick with people whose day job is to be funny. Alice Levine and Liza Tarbuck were both weak (though I think I'm in the minority on Liza), although Richard Osman was ok I suppose.

bigfatheart

Every time I think I'm warming to Iain, he fucks me off somehow.

I think I've identified what annoys me most: he's clearly someone who's going into every task trying to think of a clever, lateral approach, and that's great, but as soon as somebody else does that the toys go out the pram. See the ball-bouncing task tonight as Exhibit A.

Also, being a patronising arse during every team task doesn't help.

selectivememory

The second part of that team task was one of the funniest moments from any series. Possibly the most I've ever laughed at this show.

I've really enjoyed this series. Tasks have been a bit hit-and-miss, but I've enjoyed all the cast (even Iain eventually, although I do think he is a bit of a wanker), and Lou and Paul have been two of my favourite contestants from any series.

Great episode. I think the tasks have been pretty strong actually. Series four was the weakest for tasks ("unveil a new handshake") and I was worried they'd run out of ideas, but your new Peter Cook has turned it around.

Anyway, I just wanted to register how much I hate the r/taskmaster subreddit. They all complain about how the tasks were scored, they prefer Iain to Lou and their dream lineups always include Rachel Riley and Big Narstie.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: selectivememory on July 03, 2019, 10:29:09 PM
The second part of that team task was one of the funniest moments from any series. Possibly the most I've ever laughed at this show.

I was just about to write the same. I think it probably peaked at Joe saying "If you saw that in a church in southern Spain...".

bigfatheart

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 03, 2019, 11:22:55 PM
Series four was the weakest for tasks ("unveil a new handshake")

Good god, I'm glad somebody agrees. Dancing to a ringtone is my personal vote for the low point of the whole show, but there really were a lot of stinkers in that series. For all that some people criticise that line-up, it could easily have been unwatchable given how poor a lot of the tasks were.

This series has been a good one, for sure. Not at the peak of series 5 & 7, but definitely not one of the weaker ones by a long shot. Awful as it may be considering recent revelations, I could happily watch Paul Sinha bumble about like a lost little boy in a dressing gown every day of the week.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on July 03, 2019, 11:32:51 PM
I was just about to write the same. I think it probably peaked at Joe saying "If you saw that in a church in southern Spain...".

That was excellent. Joe's really grown on me this series.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 04, 2019, 12:19:36 AM
That was excellent. Joe's really grown on me this series.

His awkwardness is very endearing.
My girlfriend wants to adopt him.

EbbyVale

Watching Iain in team tasks has no doubt given James Acaster new appreciation for Rhod Gilbert.  I'm very glad both that Lou called him a bellend and that the editors included it. I will say his willingness to own up to what a sulphurous fart he's been helps somewhat.

I'm definitely enjoying Joe's stealthy competence in contrast to the staunchly gormless expression.

jimboslice

Surely Lou's won the series now? We're on track for an all-femal champion of champions.

Puce Moment

Enjoyable episode - I think at the start of this series I considered the line-up to be the weakest so far, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Joe was excellent.

Sangwich? Chinny-reckon.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 04, 2019, 03:03:50 PM
Sangwich? Chinny-reckon.

Nah, I work with a "sangwich"er.
She also says "fideo" and "fodka" despite have no issues with the letter v in general.

Puce Moment

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 04, 2019, 03:08:01 PM
Nah, I work with a "sangwich"er.
She also says "fideo" and "fodka" despite have no issues with the letter v in general.

I don't doubt it - but unless they went to schools with a strict no piss-taking policy, then how the fuck has nobody pointed it out before?

Some old friends from school still call me 'goalie' said in an effeminate way because that's how I used to say it in school. And that was an inflection, not an entirely different word!

Small Man Big Horse

Tickets for the recordings for series 9 are now available - https://tvrecordings.com/show/taskmaster-series-9/?dm_i=54XV,1REM,IHKKO,5FPD,1 - As they're being filmed this month I presume there won't be that long a wait before it's aired, or at the very least we should find out who the contestants are soon. I'm kind of tempted to apply, but Pinewood is a right arse if you don't drive.

DrGreggles

Ja'moke

Really fun final episode. I think this series really came into its own in the past few episodes.

The line-up for the next series looks strong too.

DrGreggles

The last outdoor task had me in stitches.
A 'Loser of Losers' special would be great.

Ja'moke

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 10, 2019, 10:19:54 PM
The last outdoor task had me in stitches.
A 'Loser of Losers' special would be great.

I'm hoping for a 'Second Chance' type special too. A way to bring back some favourites.

bigfatheart

Alex Horne has always said he wouldn't want to do it, because essentially it would be easy for someone to book themselves a return appearance (and fee) by being deliberately rubbish.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bigfatheart on July 10, 2019, 10:25:42 PM
Alex Horne has always said he wouldn't want to do it, because essentially it would be easy for someone to book themselves a return appearance (and fee) by being deliberately rubbish.

You could pick and choose though. Not that I think anyone has tanked.
I assume there'll be another Champion of Champions after s10, so it would be easy to find 5 awful (in terms of points) but entertaining 'losers' for a shit off!

Sin Agog

I love the rictus grin NOT the new Peter Cook gets whenever one of the guests is playing to their strengths in the studio.  It's more than just laughing.  It's him thinking, 'We made the right choice.' Latest example was the Joesplosion.  Great moment and great final few episodes.  I wonder if the shaky early ones will play better now we know it all worked out fine.

Utter Shit

That final task with the mobility scooter was fantastic. I wish they'd do more tasks outside the house, although I suppose there are practical reasons why they wouldn't do them too often.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 11, 2019, 09:13:38 AM
That final task with the mobility scooter was fantastic. I wish they'd do more tasks outside the house, although I suppose there are practical reasons why they wouldn't do them too often.

I'm surprised that passed H&S to be honest.

Puce Moment

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 11, 2019, 09:17:03 AM
I'm surprised that passed H&S to be honest.

I said exactly the same thing last night.

Fun final episode that seemed to focus on Joe and Lous much to my delight. This is definitely in the top tier of series', but not a classic.

Gerald Fjord

Really loved that final episode. After a bit of a shaky start I think this series turned out to be pretty good all in all.

Andy147

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 10, 2019, 11:13:12 PM
You could pick and choose though. Not that I think anyone has tanked.
I assume there'll be another Champion of Champions after s10, so it would be easy to find 5 awful (in terms of points) but entertaining 'losers' for a shit off!

The 8 last-placed contestants so far have been Roisin Conaty, Joe Wilkinson, Paul Chowdhry, Lolly Adefope, Nish Kumar, Alice Levine, Phil Wang and Paul Sinha.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Andy147 on July 11, 2019, 11:56:34 PM
The 8 last-placed contestants so far have been Roisin Conaty, Joe Wilkinson, Paul Chowdhry, Lolly Adefope, Nish Kumar, Alice Levine, Phil Wang and Paul Sinha.

RACISTS