Author Topic: New series of Taskmaster [split topic]  (Read 19483 times)

Bad Ambassador

• Sit down, Mario!
Re: New series of Taskmaster [split topic]
« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »
I did some calculations as who were the highest and lowest scoring contestants, averaged per show. Conerty was by far the worst, Katherine Ryan was the best.

« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2019, 09:56:24 PM »
You could pick from the contestants who never won a show: Joe Wilkinson, Nish Kumar and Phil Wang of the series losers, but also Romesh Ranganathan, Sara Pascoe and Aisling Bea.

billyandthecloneasaurus

• LIVING ROOMS, bedrooms, dinettes, OH yeah!
« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2019, 09:52:28 PM »
Loved Joe all season, glad people came round to him

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2019, 10:07:42 PM »
Yeah, it's nice to be vindicated in Joe-love. I've suffered for YEARS in the toxic anti-Joe environment of this despicable forum, right the way through Fresh Meat. And now look. Now you've all come crawling back.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2019, 10:10:47 PM »
Nah, he did take quite a good journey this series. Started out appearing shy and quiet, and then gradually emerged as really fucking funny and self-deprecating. His line about not looking at Sian was a cracker.

billyandthecloneasaurus

• LIVING ROOMS, bedrooms, dinettes, OH yeah!
« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2019, 10:44:38 PM »
he's just an awkward lad ain't he.  i listened to the herring podcast ft' joe and one of the blokes that made the inbetweeners a couple of months ago, and he sounded very uncomfortable and wasn't super funny so i was a bit worried for him.  about half way through ep1 i stopped worrying.

i think it helped that his awkwardness never really came across as someone acting aloof and above it all, more like he was a bit confused by it which is a lot more endearing. 

amateur

• Not feeling it, tbh
« Reply #276 on: July 15, 2019, 09:49:13 AM »
Alex Horne has always said he wouldn't want to do it, because essentially it would be easy for someone to book themselves a return appearance (and fee) by being deliberately rubbish.

Second to last contestants would be delightful and quite in keeping with Taskmaster's vibe.

« Reply #277 on: July 15, 2019, 11:03:34 AM »
i think it helped that his awkwardness never really came across as someone acting aloof and above it all, more like he was a bit confused by it which is a lot more endearing.

Doing a rewatch now that this run is done and very much agree with all the Joe love. Came across as genuinely awkward and funny and a bit odd, which is lovely to see on mainstream telly.

On the flipside, Iain irritated me even more than on original viewing. Loud, screechy and unfunny, with his "indignant lad" persona never not on. Proper bell-end in the team tasks too.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #278 on: July 15, 2019, 11:05:10 AM »
On the flipside, Iain irritated me even more than on original viewing. Loud, screechy and unfunny, with his "indignant lad" persona never not on. Proper bell-end in the team tasks too.

Although everyone on Taskmaster is going to be a luvvie and fully living the TV life, the constant mentioning of his minor celebrity pals is something I found very grating. The guy comes across as a bit of a dead-eyed careerist.

« Reply #279 on: July 15, 2019, 12:17:07 PM »
Although everyone on Taskmaster is going to be a luvvie and fully living the TV life, the constant mentioning of his minor celebrity pals is something I found very grating. The guy comes across as a bit of a dead-eyed careerist.

I watched this series with the kids.

They loved Ian; hated Joe.

Conclusion, should you need it: society is doomed.

Puce Moment

« Reply #280 on: July 15, 2019, 01:47:56 PM »
I watched this series with the kids.

They loved Ian; hated Joe.

He's a kids' TV presenter right?

Utter Shit

• Snotty Bumstead
« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »
Can they hurry up and get this back on screen please? My Wednesday nights feel weirdly empty without it. Ideally they should be doing it House Of Games style, getting it on every single day. If Alex Horne has to have a breakdown trying to come up with a billion new ideas, so be it.