Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 8 [split topic]

Started by The Lurker, April 12, 2019, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

I did some calculations as who were the highest and lowest scoring contestants, averaged per show. Conerty was by far the worst, Katherine Ryan was the best.

Andy147

You could pick from the contestants who never won a show: Joe Wilkinson, Nish Kumar and Phil Wang of the series losers, but also Romesh Ranganathan, Sara Pascoe and Aisling Bea.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Loved Joe all season, glad people came round to him

BritishHobo

Yeah, it's nice to be vindicated in Joe-love. I've suffered for YEARS in the toxic anti-Joe environment of this despicable forum, right the way through Fresh Meat. And now look. Now you've all come crawling back.

BritishHobo

Nah, he did take quite a good journey this series. Started out appearing shy and quiet, and then gradually emerged as really fucking funny and self-deprecating. His line about not looking at Sian was a cracker.

billyandthecloneasaurus

he's just an awkward lad ain't he.  i listened to the herring podcast ft' joe and one of the blokes that made the inbetweeners a couple of months ago, and he sounded very uncomfortable and wasn't super funny so i was a bit worried for him.  about half way through ep1 i stopped worrying.

i think it helped that his awkwardness never really came across as someone acting aloof and above it all, more like he was a bit confused by it which is a lot more endearing. 

amateur

Quote from: bigfatheart on July 10, 2019, 10:25:42 PM
Alex Horne has always said he wouldn't want to do it, because essentially it would be easy for someone to book themselves a return appearance (and fee) by being deliberately rubbish.

Second to last contestants would be delightful and quite in keeping with Taskmaster's vibe.

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on July 13, 2019, 10:44:38 PM
i think it helped that his awkwardness never really came across as someone acting aloof and above it all, more like he was a bit confused by it which is a lot more endearing.

Doing a rewatch now that this run is done and very much agree with all the Joe love. Came across as genuinely awkward and funny and a bit odd, which is lovely to see on mainstream telly.

On the flipside, Iain irritated me even more than on original viewing. Loud, screechy and unfunny, with his "indignant lad" persona never not on. Proper bell-end in the team tasks too.

imitationleather

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 15, 2019, 11:03:34 AM
On the flipside, Iain irritated me even more than on original viewing. Loud, screechy and unfunny, with his "indignant lad" persona never not on. Proper bell-end in the team tasks too.

Although everyone on Taskmaster is going to be a luvvie and fully living the TV life, the constant mentioning of his minor celebrity pals is something I found very grating. The guy comes across as a bit of a dead-eyed careerist.

bobloblaw

Quote from: imitationleather on July 15, 2019, 11:05:10 AM
Although everyone on Taskmaster is going to be a luvvie and fully living the TV life, the constant mentioning of his minor celebrity pals is something I found very grating. The guy comes across as a bit of a dead-eyed careerist.

I watched this series with the kids.

They loved Ian; hated Joe.

Conclusion, should you need it: society is doomed.

Puce Moment

Quote from: bobloblaw on July 15, 2019, 12:17:07 PM
I watched this series with the kids.

They loved Ian; hated Joe.

He's a kids' TV presenter right?

Utter Shit

Can they hurry up and get this back on screen please? My Wednesday nights feel weirdly empty without it. Ideally they should be doing it House Of Games style, getting it on every single day. If Alex Horne has to have a breakdown trying to come up with a billion new ideas, so be it.

Andy147

Was rewatching the old series, and I'm probably the last person in the world to have noticed that most of them use a location 3 or 4 times that isn't in the other series (e.g. the station for this last series; the pub in series 6; the football ground in series 4)... have they ever said if this is deliberate to give a bit of a different feel to each series, or is it just a case of what's available?

gilbertharding

...the gravel pit in the Bob Mortimer series...

Puce Moment

If you know the areas they use, it's quite obvious where they are filming. I have spent a great deal of time around there working at Roehampton Uni and I have loads of old friends in the Barnes/Richmond type areas. Often I laugh at how lazy they have been by going somewhere that is clearly a 2mins drive from the house.

I didn't recognise the train station used in the first episode though, but there is a disused train line close-by and not so long ago they restored the old Richmond station. 

Puce Moment

Also, presumably the same train station has the old train carriage they used for the 'guess what I'm wearing' challenge.

And just to qualify my use of 'lazy' in my previous post, I really should have said 'professional given the presumably quite small budget of the show'

jsgibble

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on July 13, 2019, 10:44:38 PM
he's just an awkward lad ain't he.  i listened to the herring podcast ft' joe and one of the blokes that made the inbetweeners a couple of months ago, and he sounded very uncomfortable and wasn't super funny so i was a bit worried for him.  about half way through ep1 i stopped worrying.

He didn't talk much at all in that one, but there was one RHLSTP he did a few years ago without Beesley that was pretty good

Puce Moment

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 30, 2019, 02:07:11 PMThe railway station is Quainton Road - the other side of Aylesbury, so quite a way from Barnes.

Thank you! That explains Davies' joke about the money spent on the task in the studio.

gilbertharding

I suppose they'd have had to hire the place for a day or two, but how expensive can it be to have a heritage railway centre to yourself for a winter weekday outside of school holidays?

Hmmm... I wonder.

Just saw somebody on Twitter call Iain Stirling the Scottish Alan Carr and I think they meant it as a compliment.

Puce Moment

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 30, 2019, 02:58:41 PMI suppose they'd have had to hire the place for a day or two, but how expensive can it be to have a heritage railway centre to yourself for a winter weekday outside of school holidays?

Hmmm... I wonder.

Having worked in film and TV a bit, the way that costs mount up, and the way you can make something happen on the cheap if you cut every single financial corner, makes me think that in Dave terms, the hiring of the train station was probably quite expensive. Hence milking (I think) three tasks out of it, and Davies comment.

This TV show is FUCKING cheap. Dave must be delighted.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 05, 2019, 04:03:14 PMHence milking (I think) three tasks out of it...

At least four (but I could be wrong too):

- Run and hide between bridges,
- Guess Alex dressed as a parrot in the next carriage,
- Herd ping-pong balls down an inside platform,
- Drive a scooter round a car-park blindfold.

Would it have cost much, if anything, to hire though?  Especially given the free publicity for the railway museum.

Bear in mind that the Taskmaster house itself cost over £4000/month to rent five years ago.

Mind you I guess the railway centre probably cost more than £133 to rent for the day so I suppose I take your point.  But it doesn't seem like a huge difference.  I guess the biggest cost might be getting the crew out there... but then the house is hardly central either...

olliebean

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 05, 2019, 09:36:32 PM
At least four (but I could be wrong too):

- Run and hide between bridges,
- Guess Alex dressed as a parrot in the next carriage,
- Herd ping-pong balls down an inside platform,
- Drive a scooter round a car-park blindfold.

Wasn't the one with the apples and oranges under bowls there too?

Ambient Sheep

Yes, I think it was!

So five... any advance on five? :-)