Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,363
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:27:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 8 [split topic]

Started by The Lurker, April 12, 2019, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

While I don't detest any of them immediately, I got the impression that only Paul Sinha and maybe Lou Sanders are any good. Even then they'd need to be part of a better line-up for them to really shine.

It feels a bit underwhelming, which is what I expected when the participants were announced.

EbbyVale

I would have loved to see Rhod Gilbert or Tim Key on the railroad bridge task. I was glad to see at least Lou engaging in some creative thinking there with the bin approach.

For me it's a difficult show to ruin.  A couple of decent contestants (Paul and Lou and maybe Sian fill that brief) plus Alex and Greg and some reasonably interesting tasks, and I'm likely content.  I hope that it roars back with a stronger cast for 9, though, the way it did with 7 after 6.

Twed

Quote from: EbbyVale on May 11, 2019, 12:30:45 AM
I would have loved to see Rhod Gilbert or Tim Key on the railroad bridge task. I was glad to see at least Lou engaging in some creative thinking there with the bin approach.
Yeah but it's light plastic bin without a bottom that doesn't exist in the real world and that matches her outfit, so it kinda just seems like something pre-planned they decided to do to spice things up. Takes away from it all a bit, for me.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Twed on May 11, 2019, 01:26:01 AM
Yeah but it's light plastic bin without a bottom that doesn't exist in the real world and that matches her outfit, so it kinda just seems like something pre-planned they decided to do to spice things up. Takes away from it all a bit, for me.

That is exactly what I thought

EbbyVale

Bother. That explains why I didn't initially recognize it as a bin. Now it's taken away from me too, and what do I have left?

DrGreggles

They often leave things lying around that are incredibly helpful if the contestants spot them.
It's just that they rarely spot them.

olliebean

That's what those bins are like; the actual bin is metal, and the plastic cover goes over it and covers the whole bin. She'd presumably taken the cover off a bin, and it wasn't especially light as she soon had to give it up because it was too much effort.

Sin Agog

Exactly why I stopped wearing bins myself.

Ambient Sheep

I rather enjoyed it.  Railway task was superb.

re. Iain's puppet rant, I saw this on https://www.reddit.com/r/panelshow/comments/bmbhqe/taskmaster_s08e01_iain_stirling_joe_thomas_lou/

QuoteI was at the recording and Greg whispered to Alex what looked like "what an idiot" afterwards. His rant was much longer but it got trimmed down

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 12, 2019, 10:06:10 AM
re. Iain's puppet rant, I saw this on https://www.reddit.com/r/panelshow/comments/bmbhqe/taskmaster_s08e01_iain_stirling_joe_thomas_lou/

The task did specify 'ventriloquist puppet' though.
I'd have fought my corner over that too if I was the only person who'd made one.
But I'm stupidly competitive.

Clownbaby

Enjoyed this one more than the first episode.still don't like Joe Thomas though sorry mate

There's always a one Greg really dislikes isn't there, it's defo Iain

DrGreggles

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 16, 2019, 08:43:28 AM
Enjoyed this one more than the first episode.still don't like Joe Thomas though sorry mate

Joe's growing on me.
He is clearly so awkward and shit at life that it's actually quite endearing.

And that clip of him running and shouting "AAAAAAAHHHH!" made me laugh A LOT.
Possibly because I can imagine it being used out of context.

QuoteThere's always a one Greg really dislikes isn't there, it's defo Iain

Isn't it more a case of there always being one who talks back to Greg?

Clownbaby

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 16, 2019, 08:52:56 AM
Joe's growing on me.

Isn't it more a case of there always being one who talks back to Greg?

Well yeah that's why he's the one Greg dislikes. I'm not saying it's not Iain's fault

touchingcloth

I love this show. While watching it, if I'm not actively laughing I just catch myself in the realisation that my face is doing a big old silly grin.

touchingcloth

Joe's growing on me.

I find Joe enjoyable inasmuch as he's a fascinating glimpse into a particular kind of psyche. It's a shame he started doing the weird eyebrow thing in that team task, because I would have enjoyed them unpicking what happened when he came into the room and was faced with Shian. He reacted how my twelve year old self would have done if given a mug of tea and unexpectedly pushed into a room where a full orgy was taking place.

Norton Canes

I haven't watched any Taskmaster yet but from the descriptions it sounds like it might be the inspiration for I'll Get This, the fucking awful BBC show where five celebs meat at a restaurant table for dinner and play games to see who picks up the tab. Caught ten minutes of it the other night and I swear never to go near it again. What were you thinking, BBC? Five celebs brandishing their plastic and racking up huge bills while they work out who can draw the most realistic vulva on an Etch A Sketch or whatever. And all the while, the hideous artisan fodder pit in which they film it is reveling in the golden shower of free publicity.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 16, 2019, 03:16:32 PM
I haven't watched any Taskmaster yet but from the descriptions it sounds like it might be the inspiration for I'll Get This, the fucking awful BBC show where five celebs meat at a restaurant table for dinner and play games to see who picks up the tab. Caught ten minutes of it the other night and I swear never to go near it again. What were you thinking, BBC? Five celebs brandishing their plastic and racking up huge bills while they work out who can draw the most realistic vulva on an Etch A Sketch or whatever. And all the while, the hideous artisan fodder pit in which they film it is reveling in the golden shower of free publicity.

I only caught five minutes of an episode the other day but it seemed like it was basically a slightly more structured version of As Yet Untitled, where the point was the chat rather than the games...maybe I just caught a good bit.

metaltax

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 16, 2019, 09:49:03 AM
I would have enjoyed them unpicking what happened when he came into the room and was faced with Shian.

Wasn't it just that he had absolutely no idea who she was? He reacted to her like she was someone on the crew. I'm not convinced she had any idea who he was either.

DrGreggles

Past series suggest that they're told in advance who the other contestants are, so I'm going to stick with my earlier 'Joe is shit at life' analysis.
Or possibly hungover.

BeardFaceMan

I just can't believe Joe Thomas gets work as an actor, he seems to have no warmth or personality or emotion whatsoever, blandness personified. Already got annoyed at Lou Sanders laughing at how funny and wacky she is, Sterling is just shit, I'm ambivalent about Gibson, it's only Sinha I actually like with this line-up.

Small Man Big Horse

Joe's growing on me.

That's how I feel, I was very negative about him after the first episode but he's such an oddly uncomfortable and rubbish man that I'm warming to him.

Tapiocahead

I wonder why Joe Thomas agreed to go on?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Tapiocahead on May 17, 2019, 05:39:36 PM
I wonder why Joe Thomas agreed to go on?

To raise his profile I guess. Plus he was probably unaware of how rubbish he would be on it.

BeardFaceMan

The question should be 'who thought it was a good idea to put him on?'. I feel like I'm watching a dog that's run onto a football pitch and is chasing the ball, trying to join in. It's fun for a bit but someone should really be stepping in and letting the dog politely know that perhaps this isn't the best suited game for him.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 17, 2019, 07:22:46 PM
The question should be 'who thought it was a good idea to put him on?'. I feel like I'm watching a dog that's run onto a football pitch and is chasing the ball, trying to join in. It's fun for a bit but someone should really be stepping in and letting the dog politely know that perhaps this isn't the best suited game for him.

Well The Inbetweeners is still really popular as the excitement (and then annoyance) over the reunion show showed, so I guess they hoped it'd increase the audience. Which is probably the same reason as Iain Stirling as so many people like Love Island, even though for me he's the worst contestant this year.

DrGreggles

The mix of contestants seems similar each season (gender/race/sexuality/age/personality), so it's obviously not just thrown together.

Alex said in an interview they try to get people who'd be good as a group and each have different things to bring to the series. I guess it's just some people work better in theory than reality. But I like Joe, he just seems a bit socially awkward, but he's not annoying me like some contestants or a personality blank like others.

Spode

Shaping up to be the most unimaginative lineup in how they tackle the tasks as well. Get the feeling watching it so far that you wouldn't even need to edit the footage of their tasks as they all just seem to do something glaringly obvious inside about ten seconds.

rasta-spouse

Did anyone notice Sinha trying to crack open a mango on the table like it was an egg? Guy doesn't understand mangoes. He's a brainbox but yet he's so switched off.

Watched Stirling's CC 30m stand-up special the other day. Poor show. What is it with generic compere douches in really shiny trainers.