Author Topic: Taskmaster - Series 8 [split topic]  (Read 22972 times)

Re: New series of Taskmaster [split topic]
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2019, 11:33:30 PM »
She sort of grew up immediately in my eyes when having to deal with a try hard man child.

Was kinda hot

« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2019, 01:56:24 AM »
I minded Iain rather less this time, and quite enjoyed his strop over the bucket task. If he'd stick to deliberately failing dramatically, that could work for me.

I didn't take to Lou's comedy but she's delightful in this--creative, resilient, and weirdly capable.

« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »
this series is shite

Utter Shit

• Snotty Bumstead
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »
Wasn't there a bamboo chute on the table during the sand task? Surely the trick there was to position that under the bucket and use it as a sort of slide system. Unless it wasn't a chute and my eyesight has gone to shit.

Didn't notice that, but in general I've had to adjust my assumptions about tasks because increasingly I don't think there is a trick or specific best method for doing a lot of them. Maybe it was always like that and I've only noticed it recently, but this series I find myself trying to work out what the 'correct' way of doing each task is, only to find out that there isn't one and it's up to the contestants to find one that is at least workable.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
Joe Thomas's 'resting appalled face' is really perplexing. What's going on in there?

Meanwhile, there's something about Sian's enthusiasm which I find appealing. No - this is a good series of Taskmaster.

OK then. Some of the contestants seem to know how to play it. The Ball-herding task was weak.

Utter Shit

• Snotty Bumstead
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2019, 01:52:09 PM »
Can someone please explain to me wagwan with the lighting in this show? For some reason Sian looks about ten years younger in the all tasks than she does in the studio, while the rest of them seem to be the other way around. Not a judgement on any of them in case anyone is wondering, I'm just baffled how that works.

« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2019, 02:06:54 PM »
This thing about Horne being the next Peter Cook - he's more the new Marty Feldman with a mouth-focus, isn't he?

The Lurker

• Your whole life has led up to you reading this
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2019, 04:52:41 PM »
That beach ball task was fun though, wasn’t it? The episode was a bit meh but that task was one of the best of the series for me, Clive.

« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2019, 11:39:18 PM »
Joe Thomas's 'resting appalled face' is really perplexing. What's going on in there?

Meanwhile, there's something about Sian's enthusiasm which I find appealing. No - this is a good series of Taskmaster.

OK then. Some of the contestants seem to know how to play it. The Ball-herding task was weak.

It is odd - I wonder if he did it once and they said "that's really funny, keep doing it!" Or he did it once and they keep using the same bit of footage.

I keep thinking Sian comes across pretty much exactly as I'd expect Kayleigh from Car Share to come across (which is fine).

I seem to be alone in enjoying the ball-herding* and the sand tasks, while thinking the beach ball was a bit underwhelming - and why was pretending to be in various places not allowed? I was expecting the whole point of it to be for them to be green-screened everywhere, not just "whoever happens to have a trip to the States lined up in the next few months wins!" And the food/accident task felt a bit rushed (almost nothing of them planning it).

*although the "special ball" was annoying - if no-one notices it, it just becomes a completely random element...

« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2019, 05:56:27 AM »
Yeah, she said 'daddy' when leaving in one of the clips - I presume to Alex, and not to her dad who might have been off-camera.

She made a change from the pet Swede of previous series.

It also made a change to hear an audience just beside themselves with the cuteness of it all. It clearly even melted Greg's heart (a bit).

According to Wikipedia, Alex Horne's children are all boys.

« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2019, 09:59:19 PM »
I'm calling the Sinha reveal in the hiding task the funniest moment of the series - and one of the funniest TM moments ever!

Seeing Joe and Sian getting on so well (after the awkwardness of their earlier meeting) is rather sweet too.

Ja'moke

• based on the novel Push by Sapphire
    • Inside Survivor
« Reply #191 on: June 13, 2019, 12:55:13 AM »
Yes, that Sinha phonebox moment was brilliant. I was also genuinely gutted for him when he made that one mistake on the card memory task.

Sterling hasn’t been quite so irritating either since the infamous team task. And his bigger goalposts idea was good, and even better when he still missed.

« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2019, 01:17:22 AM »
It's interesting that Lou's won so many studio tasks. I hadn't thought of them as being similar enough for there to be a particular advantageous approach, but it seems like she's got good hand-eye coordination and just the right amount of audacity for flinging ridiculous shizz around.

Wet Blanket

• I am the Colour Blind Dog-Thief
« Reply #193 on: June 13, 2019, 11:13:33 AM »
Joe Thomas got the biggest laughs from me this week. He seems to have relaxed in the studio sections, maybe relieved that he's not the designated shite one.

The design-an-album-cover team task was put to bed in disarmingly quick time. Do you reckon inter-contestant tensions in the Stirling camp have made loads of footage unusable? Not so much in that they were at each other's throats but that they were going about them in a boringly matter-of-fact fashion just to get them over and done with.

« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »
I thought it would have been better if the task was to recreate a classic album cover.

(Which is what I mistakenly thought was the task to begin with)

Puce Moment

« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
Enjoyable, and for some reason I find Joe Thomas endlessly amusing. But I made the mistake of letting Youtube run through some old clips from previous series.

Mortimer, Phillips, Acaster. That's some seminal TM right there.

I also saw the squash task from series 1 which I always thought was a great task idea. I'm surprised they never did a similar task since then. Throwing stuff at a bog seat and moving ping pong balls is a bit shit at this point.

Utter Shit

• Snotty Bumstead
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2019, 12:46:06 PM »
Very sad news - Paul Sinha has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2019, 12:56:56 PM »

Ah man. That's terrible to hear. I thought at first that you were making a poor taste joke about his bad performance on Taskmaster as well.

« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »

I saw that he'd cancelled his Fringe show.
Was hoping it was for less severe reasons.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2019, 11:12:53 PM »
I struggled with it again this week, some of it was fun and it's by no means weak but just a bit average, and none of the tasks were that engaging.

notjosh

• Golden Member
« Reply #200 on: June 19, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »
Been re-watching the whole show from the start again recently as it's incredibly comforting when you're trying not to think about other shit in your life. Was all going swimmingly until I got to series 6. Managed the first ep, then struggled for a few days with the grim prospect of watching episode 2, until I realised that no one was forcing me to do any of this and skipped merrily on to series 7 where I am having a lovely time thanks very much.

I have a feeling that the next time I do this I may end up skipping from 7 straight to 9.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »
Been re-watching the whole show from the start again recently as it's incredibly comforting when you're trying not to think about other shit in your life. Was all going swimmingly until I got to series 6. Managed the first ep, then struggled for a few days with the grim prospect of watching episode 2, until I realised that no one was forcing me to do any of this and skipped merrily on to series 7 where I am having a lovely time thanks very much.

I have a feeling that the next time I do this I may end up skipping from 7 straight to 9.

Literally just finished the last ep of Season 5 this afternoon on my rewatch.  Might just do the Champions thing and call it a day (season 7 feels like barely a few weeks ago- too early for a rewatch). The very last moment of the very last episode of Season 5 shows why it's the best series.  They all smushed together in the most loved up group hug imaginable.  They came close with 7, but I dount they'll ever match that kind of chemistry again.

« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2019, 07:53:52 PM »
Does everyone find series 6 unwatchable becias Russell Howard?

« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2019, 08:42:18 PM »
Does everyone find series 6 unwatchable becias Russell Howard?

Not specifically. It's more that the mix of contestants was off and the balance wasn't there.

Ja'moke

• based on the novel Push by Sapphire
    • Inside Survivor
« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2019, 10:17:24 PM »
Pretty dull episode this week. Not sure if it was lack of creativity from the cast or the tasks themselves. Maybe a bit of both. Hard to make turning over bowls to find apples entertaining, even if someone figured out the grid. Also, it’s about time they ditched the prize task.

I do wonder how long they can keep coming up with interesting tasks. That’s the reason The Genius (amazing South Korean game show that everyone should watch) eventually ended, because it was too difficult to keep coming up with the games.

The Lurker

• Your whole life has led up to you reading this
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2019, 11:37:58 PM »
Does anyone know how I can watch online from overseas? Thanks in advance

« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2019, 12:05:18 AM »
Does anyone know how I can watch online from overseas? Thanks in advance

There was a Reddit group/page* that has every episode uploaded to it.
Sadly I can't remember what it's called because I'm a massive cunt, but I'm sure someone will know.

*I've just realised that I don't really know what Reddit is

« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2019, 12:08:13 AM »
The Genius (amazing South Korean game show that everyone should watch)

GAWD yes!

The first episode is here: https://youtu.be/jpwIgWPfNvc

chveik

• who's gonna feed them hogs?
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »
There was a Reddit group/page* that has every episode uploaded to it.
Sadly I can't remember what it's called because I'm a massive cunt, but I'm sure someone will know.

*I've just realised that I don't really know what Reddit is

it's the subreddit "Not a panel show"

notjosh

• Golden Member
« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2019, 08:12:00 AM »
They're all on Daily Motion as well.