Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:23:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Last year of my 20s

Started by MoonDust, April 12, 2019, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

20s - shite
30s - brilliant
40s - death

Snake Plissken

Quote from: MoonDust on April 12, 2019, 04:12:06 PM
Turned 29 today. The twilight of youth. The pre-dawn light of middle age not quite appearing over the horizon, which is turning grey. The 30s are close upon me; a netherworld between young and old.

What can I expect now I'm in the 30th year of my time on this planet? What are some things you did before you were 30 that I most likely won't do? What can I expect from my aging body? I already have to push when I shit.

Cheers.
When I turned 30, four years ago I started to get hair in really weird places.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 16, 2019, 12:14:44 AM
I'm 35 this year and I'm done. All this, "Ach, that's no age" is bollocks. I've lived a lot of life, I was jaded at 25, I was an outright nihilistic bore at 30 and now I shock myself with how little I want and expect from life. On Friday I went for a walk in the fields, found an excellent tree in some bushes and just sat against its trunk for ages, until I realised how weird it would look if someone saw me. I'd only got a couple of fields in on the return journey before, similarly, I just sat down for a while. Trouble is, a tractor was in the next field and could see over the hedge, I'm just a bloke sitting down in a field for no reason, but I'm committed now - if I get up it would look weird emerging like that - so I try and stay behind this little weird bush/mini-tree thing, moving around on my hands and knees as the tractor moves so that I'm always concealed, always at the right angle. Thing is, this is madder than just getting up - Christ knows what he thinks of me scrabbling around - so I just get up - fuck it - and walk away. Today I'm in Cornwall, spent last night explaining in great detail to my parents that the world is completely fucked and climate catastrophe is around the corner. Went for a 14 mile walk - enjoy it while I can - along coast, down lanes, over fields. Blisters on my feet. Didn't even really enjoy it. So what have I got to look forward to at 40? A promotion? Fuck off.

I can relate to this. One time I was in a park, and I went in a bush for a bit, just felt like having some time in a bush. Mainly to not be around people for a bit. Then as I came out, a dog started barking in a garden, and a woman looked at me, and of course instantly I look like a burglar or loose sex criminal. "Just hanging around in a bush, ma'am, nothing to worry about"

I think it's hard just to do your own thing and... One time I was sat in my wife's car, just watching some ducks on the lake, and a policeman comes over, "what's your name? what are you doing here?" At one point he asks me, "are you alright?" Am I alright? I'm not the one trying to police other people's sitting around time.

They'd criminalise doing nothing if they could.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 16, 2019, 01:20:32 AM
The only consolation of having a terrible childhood is not minding too much when your parents die.

Or maybe have a little party :)

Twit 2

Quote from: Ray Travez on April 16, 2019, 11:18:38 PM
I can relate to this. One time I was in a park, and I went in a bush for a bit, just felt like having some time in a bush. Mainly to not be around people for a bit. Then as I came out, a dog started barking in a garden, and a woman looked at me, and of course instantly I look like a burglar or loose sex criminal. "Just hanging around in a bush, ma'am, nothing to worry about"

I think it's hard just to do your own thing and... One time I was sat in my wife's car, just watching some ducks on the lake, and a policeman comes over, "what's your name? what are you doing here?" At one point he asks me, "are you alright?" Am I alright? I'm not the one trying to police other people's sitting around time.

They'd criminalise doing nothing if they could.

You are indeed a kindred spirit. On the Cornish coast path I can get away with being on my own as it's prime walking territory, but in the Norfolk countryside I feel like a total 100% deluxe rapist wondering around and sitting down to enjoy the peace and quiet. I never see any other people doing anything similar - it's only dog walkers who go for walks, apparently. By rights, areas of beauty and quiet should have a lot more people in them, but no, for most people such places are only for taking your shitting dog. I feel like getting a 'NOT A RAPIST' T-shirt printed so I don't have to put up with nervous looks from female dog walkers anymore.

Icehaven

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 16, 2019, 12:14:44 AM
I'm 35 this year and I'm done. All this, "Ach, that's no age" is bollocks. I've lived a lot of life, I was jaded at 25, I was an outright nihilistic bore at 30 and now I shock myself with how little I want and expect from life... So what have I got to look forward to at 40? A promotion? Fuck off.

I've gone on about this at massive length on here before so I'll keep it brief here but when I was exactly your age I was in a similar boat, bored of my job, been in a 10 year relationship which had become dull but was stable enough, not really much on the horizon other than plodding on with no change in sight, and it bothered me but not enough to actively do anything about it. Two years later absolutely everything had changed, new job, relationship ended, fallen hard for someone else, moved house. I didn't see any of it coming, at all, so now I'm of the opinion that you can't ever really assume that this is it and that you've 'ended up' where you currently are and that's your lot. At the risk of sounding trite things change whether you want them to or not. 

Ferris

Christ I'm older than some people on here. I always assumed I was the youngest, though now I think about it that doesn't make any sense. I've grown old without realizing. Shit.

Still, I'm going to eat a bagel for breakfast, go for a walk with Ferris Jr and Mrs Ferris in the sun, then make rice krispy squares this afternoon. Life is alright, man.

Edit: I've started making rice krispy squares with maple marshmallows and they are a real revelation.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 18, 2019, 02:06:58 PM
Christ I'm older than some people on here. I always assumed I was the youngest, though now I think about it that doesn't make any sense. I've grown old without realizing. Shit.

Still, I'm going to eat a bagel for breakfast, go for a walk with Ferris Jr and Mrs Ferris in the sun, then make rice krispy squares this afternoon. Life is alright, man.

Edit: I've started making rice krispy squares with maple marshmallows and they are a real revelation.

I must have some of those. Bet I can't get the maple marshmallows.

Twit 2

Ray Travez

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 16, 2019, 11:29:06 PM
I feel like getting a 'NOT A RAPIST' T-shirt printed so I don't have to put up with nervous looks from female dog walkers anymore.

Yeah, I might get one of those, it'll go with my sign saying 'i am not a paedophile' for when I smile at other people's children on the bus.