Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Upskirting now a crime in England and Wales

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 12, 2019, 04:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: thenoise on April 14, 2019, 07:17:23 AM
Former Robbs Celebs fan here as well, although I always preferred the magazine shoots and still images from racy independent films early in their career that they now regret.  The paparazzi shots were creepy and felt uncomfortably voyeuristic.

But, yeah, with crowds of paps trying to photograph a glimpse of knickers when a 'sleb type gets into taxis outside London hotels, or focusing their long lenses on them sunbathing, no wonder a generation of men thinks it's no big deal to do the same to some random at a festival.  Why one rule for them and another for us?  She should be flattered, right lads?  Etc.

I think you could argue it was really part of a whole questionable scene around female celebrities rather to obcessed with seeing women humiliated, I mean I can't imagine such pictures are very sexy beyond some kind of attraction to that.

Crisps?

Quote from: thenoise on April 14, 2019, 07:17:23 AM
But, yeah, with crowds of paps trying to photograph a glimpse of knickers when a 'sleb type gets into taxis outside London hotels, or focusing their long lenses on them sunbathing, no wonder a generation of men thinks it's no big deal to do the same to some random at a festival.  Why one rule for them and another for us? 

AIUI from the article it is one rule for everyone: "It covers culprits who say images were just taken 'for a laugh', and paparazzi who take intrusive images".

I don't know if it applies retroactively or if photographing is a crime while publishing isn't, but it would definitely be a shame if in future any site with a riveting public interest story about a celebrity's knickers was reported, citing this law.

That it wasn't banned long ago is probably at least in part due to this particular form of harassment and degradation of women being such a standard/accepted feature of 'journalism'.

Fake edit: I started to wonder about whether Page 3 still exists, and saw that the Daily Star, the only one still carrying on the weird 1970s Great British Tradition of naked teenage girls in a newspaper, decided just a few days ago to stop it.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/apr/12/daily-star-covers-up-its-page-3-girls-signalling-end-of-tabloid-tradition

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 13, 2019, 08:46:58 PM
Non sequitor but if we truly face climate extinction then the climate extinction movement is the most corrupt and immoral in human history. For there is a proven, viable and 100% guaranteed solution to the climate crisis that we could do tomorrow and would fix the whole problem within 20 years. Yet we don't do it. Either it's not a real crisis or everyone involved is criminally negligent.

Johnny Yesno