Author Topic: Billy Bragg Skiffle Documentary tonight on BBC4  (Read 375 times)

Billy Bragg Skiffle Documentary tonight on BBC4
« on: April 12, 2019, 05:52:01 PM »
Rock Island Line: The Song That Made Britain Rock
9pm, BBC Four
An admirably clear and unpretentious documentary by Billy Bragg, lauding the British skiffle craze of the 1950s for helping to usher in the pop revolution of the following decade. Bragg explains how one song, captured by US folk archivists and then associated with Lead Belly before being recorded by the hugely influential Lonnie Donegan, energised a new wave of performers for whom fighting racism was a major part of their drive to democratise popular music.

Could be alright.

Re: Billy Bragg Skiffle Documentary tonight on BBC4
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 01:22:37 AM »
Was Donegan a prominent anti-racist, a British Pete Seeger, or just a jazz sideman had an accidental hit with an EP track recorded for a band?

the science eel

• dynamite sack artist
    • PRELUDIN - where goons don't go
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 02:46:06 AM »
Billy Bragg tho

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

• Two pound ten a tit and a fiver for his arse.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 06:59:45 PM »
Where's me washboard?

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 10:37:46 PM »
Was Donegan a prominent anti-racist, a British Pete Seeger, or just a jazz sideman had an accidental hit with an EP track recorded for a band?

Bit unfair that. The documentary mentions that he was part of a sort 1950s equivalent of Rock Against Racism. And he was good. It wasn't just luck. .

Anyway, not a bad documentary this, especially if you didn't know much about it before I think. There is something fascinating about to me about pre Beatles youth culture, that generation would have you believe they invented being young.