Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:49:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Billy Bragg Skiffle Documentary tonight on BBC4

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 12, 2019, 05:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Rock Island Line: The Song That Made Britain Rock
9pm, BBC Four
An admirably clear and unpretentious documentary by Billy Bragg, lauding the British skiffle craze of the 1950s for helping to usher in the pop revolution of the following decade. Bragg explains how one song, captured by US folk archivists and then associated with Lead Belly before being recorded by the hugely influential Lonnie Donegan, energised a new wave of performers for whom fighting racism was a major part of their drive to democratise popular music.

Could be alright.

Was Donegan a prominent anti-racist, a British Pete Seeger, or just a jazz sideman had an accidental hit with an EP track recorded for a band?

the science eel

Pranet

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 13, 2019, 01:22:37 AM
Was Donegan a prominent anti-racist, a British Pete Seeger, or just a jazz sideman had an accidental hit with an EP track recorded for a band?

Bit unfair that. The documentary mentions that he was part of a sort 1950s equivalent of Rock Against Racism. And he was good. It wasn't just luck. .

Anyway, not a bad documentary this, especially if you didn't know much about it before I think. There is something fascinating about to me about pre Beatles youth culture, that generation would have you believe they invented being young.