Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:36:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: dr beat on April 14, 2019, 10:30:26 PM
It seemed to come back around 96/97 when they brought out the remastered VHS versions of the OT, which sparked a nostalgia effect.

I was born in 1985 but that's when Star Wars started to exist for me. I liked Phantom Menace when I saw it in the cinema but lost interest after and I've still never seen 2 or 3. Probably like lots of people, really. I saw the new ones, but didn't bother with Solo.

Glebe

Palpatine's Return Was in the Plans for a Long Time, Says Kathleen Kennedy.

They're all gonna come back, aren't they? Anakin, Obi-Wan, the ewoks... even Jar-Jar.

Even Jar Jar.

Definitely. Nobody meaningful, or even recognisable, can fully die in an enterprise this reliant on nostalgia. Kind of makes everything pointless and even the death of an actor doesn't make a jot of difference.

mothman

Quote from: Glebe on April 15, 2019, 07:48:09 PM
Palpatine's Return Was in the Plans for a Long Time, Says Kathleen Kennedy.

They're all gonna come back, aren't they? Anakin, Obi-Wan, the ewoks... even Jar-Jar.

Even Jar Jar.

I'd accept it - if it was to canonise the "Jar Jar is evil and the secret mastermind behind everything" meme/fan theory.

It occurred to me... is the "long time ago/far far away" thing actually a millstone round the neck of anyone wanting to expand the SW universe? It drains the setting of any real context, any connection we can form to it. It worked for the first film (and maybe the second - I'm talking ANH & TESB in case it's not clear) because it had novelty, and spectacle, and archetypal characters and storylines. They were our gateway drug. Without them, what have you got in any new SW? More planets, more starship designs, more weird aliens. And lightning won't strike twice, not even with good characterisation and engaging plots.

Star Trek by comparison manages it because there is still some glimmer of Roddenberry's original running through it, however bastardised. And we can relate to things like GoT because of the ways it plays in mediaeval history and existing legendary tropes, and we're already familiar with that kind of fantasy setting. But we have no real cultural or historical points of reference in that old far away galaxy to latch on to.

So we end up not really caring about the Mandalorian, there's no emotional context there to build on, however much they might try to push, say, a "Wild West bounty hunter but in space, with aliens" vibe. And the actor's name just makes me want to punch him.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Replies From View on April 15, 2019, 07:24:07 PM
Every time somebody says this I think they are talking about "Episode 1:  The Fantom Anus".

Good isn't it.

Those are painted on?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 15, 2019, 11:35:09 AM
I remember in the RLM review of Rogue One (I think) Rich Evans noting that the dirty secret about Star Wars is that it's a very limited universe, with only a very small number of possible stories. Far from being an entire galaxy of adventure, the options availalbe for films is so restrictive that it's surprising the Weiss/Benioff and Johnson trilogies are still moving forward. What can they possibly be about and how will they appeal to audiences, when much if not most of Star Wars's appeal to the general public is the characters rather than the setting?
I don't think that's inherently true, as the original EU showed, but the way Disney have done things it might as well have been

mothman

That ties in with the point I made above; the EU was popular (some of the books were even bestsellers?) but it's still a relatively niche audience (people who read SF&F) and nowhere near the sort of audience numbers that a billion-dollar blockbuster movie commands.

Ferris

Quote from: mothman on April 19, 2019, 06:48:39 PM
That ties in with the point I made above; the EU was popular

These Brexit threads get everywhere

Custard

I think with Star Wars they were hoping it'd go more down the route of spin-offs. Boba Fett, Obi Wan, Jabba, etc to cover them for the next few years. But after the "failure" of Solo, they've quite understandably chucked that plan.

I think they need to stop thinking in trilogies, too. Just cos the original was, it doesn't mean they all have to be. Decent standalone films set in the universe could be interesting. But of course, everything has to be a trilogy or a "Universe" with all the same characters interacting over an over these days

That said, I don't think either of the planned new trilogies from Rian Johnson or the Game Of Thrones blokes will happen. There doesn't appear to be much anticipation or excitement for either at the moment, following TLJ, and Thrones being a bit shit lately

mothman

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 19, 2019, 07:47:23 PM
These Brexit threads get everywhere

Oh, you knew perfectly well what I meant, you silly sausage!

Ferris

Quote from: mothman on April 19, 2019, 11:49:38 PM
Oh, you knew perfectly well what I meant, you silly sausage!

But we all had a good laugh and that's the main thing!

Shaky

It will be hilarious if Palpatine is barely even in this new one, a la Luke's voice-over for The Force Awakens teaser before it turned out the character actually appeared for mere seconds. I'm not 100% convinced by McDiarmid appearing on stage at that recent thing either. I suspect it's all a bit of wrong-footing.

Urinal Cake

Imagine in 2012 thinking Disney was going to 'save' Star Wars and now on reflection realising you're maybe too old to care.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shaky on April 20, 2019, 02:01:14 AM
It will be hilarious if Palpatine is barely even in this new one, a la Luke's voice-over for The Force Awakens teaser before it turned out the character actually appeared for mere seconds. I'm not 100% convinced by McDiarmid appearing on stage at that recent thing either. I suspect it's all a bit of wrong-footing.

I imagine he'll appear in one scene as a ghostly figure tempting or mocking Rey or Kylo and that will be it. All this chatter online for what will probably be one conversation.

Custard

He'll turn up at the end and thank the audience for watching Star Wars

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on April 16, 2019, 12:24:29 AM
So we end up not really caring about the Mandalorian, there's no emotional context there to build on, however much they might try to push, say, a "Wild West bounty hunter but in space, with aliens" vibe. And the actor's name just makes me want to punch him.

I'm breaking my rule of not posting within Star Wars threads (I'd sooner forget that experience) to say that actually, The Mandalorian is looking pretty good.  Fuck the disaster of the sequel trilogy.  I'd given up on the series but have a look at this.  It feels bizarre to say it, but I'm actually excited for new Star Wars.  Pinch me, Werner Herzog.

Shaky

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 20, 2019, 01:46:19 PM
I'm breaking my rule of not posting within Star Wars threads (I'd sooner forget that experience) to say that actually, The Mandalorian is looking pretty good.  Fuck the disaster of the sequel trilogy.  I'd given up on the series but have a look at this.  It feels bizarre to say it, but I'm actually excited for new Star Wars.  Pinch me, Werner Herzog.

Fucking hell, it actually is Herzog and all! That info had somehow passed me by. Anyway, looks promising. The characters and dialogue seem to have room to breathe and it actually still feels like Star Wars.

Ferris

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 20, 2019, 11:15:51 AM
He'll turn up at the end and thank the audience for watching Star Wars

This, but he's also dabbing and reminding viewers to buy figurines.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on April 20, 2019, 10:04:27 AM
I imagine he'll appear in one scene as a ghostly figure tempting or mocking Rey or Kylo and that will be it. All this chatter online for what will probably be one conversation.

Isn't Kylo Rey one person?

popcorn

Ren. Rey. Finn. Han. Ben. Jinn. Jyn. Twats

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on April 20, 2019, 06:04:31 PM
Ren. Rey. Finn. Han. Ben. Jinn. Jyn.

Bus stop F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel

mothman

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 19, 2019, 11:57:30 PM
But we all had a good laugh and that's the main thing!

Quote from: Shaky on April 20, 2019, 02:01:14 AM

JJ Abrams: "Oh, no, Ian McDearmid isn't playing Palpatine, he's playing a new character called John Harrison."

Quote from: greenman on April 20, 2019, 06:24:01 PM
Bus stop F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel

Has held Bristols.

greenman

Again really I think Disney hiring Abrams set them on the path to limited short term success. Solo's failiure was I think a mix of negative reaction to Last Jedi, its release date close to Infinity War and it depending too much on nostalgia.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion between a continued attraction to a franchise and nostalgia for it, the former is generally going to be wanting to see it carry on producing somewhat similar cinema of good quality, the latter is going to be tweeking childhood memories and is always going to have a limited shelf life.

phantom_power

There is loads of scope for more diverse Star Wars films. I wasn't a huge fan of the EU stuff but I did read Tales From The Cantina and always thought that would make a great Star Wars series, and The Mandalorian seems to have that vibe about it a bit

Bobby Ralgex

I'm hoping you get to see R2D2's pubes in this latest one.

QDRPHNC

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: greenman on April 21, 2019, 12:43:12 PM
Again really I think Disney hiring Abrams set them on the path to limited short term success. Solo's failiure was I think a mix of negative reaction to Last Jedi, its release date close to Infinity War and it depending too much on nostalgia.

Nah, Solo's failure is down to it being absolutely fucking shit. Plus Lord & Miller being replaced by Ron Howard and plenty of negative press didn't help, but it's mainly the shit thing.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It was released too soon after The Last Jedi. They didn't start promoting promoting it before March, and there was some kind of fatigue at this point, because it was the fourth film in two years and a half, while the previous cycles had given us a trilogy in six years.

greenman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 27, 2019, 06:27:48 PM
Nah, Solo's failure is down to it being absolutely fucking shit. Plus Lord & Miller being replaced by Ron Howard and plenty of negative press didn't help, but it's mainly the shit thing.

I would say more disjointed and merely average rather than overtly "shit" but theres a big difference between that kind of films being released in a franchise with widespread good will and in a franchise without it.