Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
It's been suggested that since The Jedi officially ended in the last one, "Skywalker" could be the name of the replacement belief system. Like Christianity, but Luke as the mythic central symbol. Certainly one way to explain this title.

Actually, "Skywalker" is the name of the new Death Star that Ghost Emperor Palpatine is constructing.

St_Eddie

Don't read the following if you'd care to avoid spoilers:

"Skywalker" is a legend.  He rose from nothing and defeated the Empire.  It's that legend which the Residence use in an attempt to broadcast the spirit of the rebellion to the galaxy at large.  That's why they need to utilise the remains of the second Death Star; to make use of its "sonar" abilities, in order to broadcast the legend of Luke Skywalker outwards to the galaxy (hence 'The Rise of Skywalker').  Palpatine is nothing more than a hologram which Kylo Ren views and uses as a further inspiration for his dark side tendencies.

Shit, yeah?

St_Eddie

I should probably mention the outlier theory, though I don't put much stock in it...

Palpatine is rebuilt and resurrected via robot limbs.[color][u/]

As I say, I don't put too much stock in that theory but given what a shambles the sequel trilogy's been so far, I wouldn't put it past them.

mothman

But still, you're approaching the new film with an open mind, that's what matters.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on April 28, 2019, 01:53:04 AM
But still, you're approaching the new film with an open mind, that's what matters.

It's a Star Wars film remember.

phantom_power

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 28, 2019, 12:49:33 AM

"Skywalker" is a legend.  He rose from nothing and defeated the Empire.  It's that legend which the Residence use in an attempt to broadcast the spirit of the rebellion to the galaxy at large.  That's why they need to utilise the remains of the second Death Star; to make use of its "sonar" abilities, in order to broadcast the legend of Luke Skywalker outwards to the galaxy (hence 'The Rise of Skywalker').  Palpatine is nothing more than a hologram which Kylo Ren views and uses as a further inspiration for his dark side tendencies.

Shit, yeah?

I like the first part of that idea. Not too fussed about the second

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on April 28, 2019, 01:53:04 AM

Yeah, admittedly I'm definitely not approaching it with an open mind.

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 28, 2019, 12:49:33 AM

Shit, yeah?

Wait, is that based on anything, or are you literally just plucking a fan theory (complete with specifics about sonar), and using it as evidence of Disney being shit?

Because that is very different, and much more unreasonable, than just assuming a film is going to be shit based on prior films/directors, etc.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kelvin on April 28, 2019, 02:19:13 PM
Wait, is that based on anything, or are you literally just plucking a fan theory (complete with specifics about sonar), and using it as evidence of Disney being shit?

It's a leak from a source that accurately leaked details of The Force Awakens prior to release.  That doesn't necessarily mean that it's accurate but it's got more credence than most leaks.

popcorn

Got a high-credibility leak for you right here pal.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on April 28, 2019, 02:31:12 PM
Got a high-credibility leak for you right here pal.

You misspelled 'leek' but I shall gladly accept your delicious high-credibility leek.  Ta.

bgmnts

I'm still seething from no Greedo in Solo, so the Star Wars franchise is dead as fuck to me.

St_Eddie

greenman

Palatines upper body transplanted onto Snoke or Darth Maul's lower body? but done badly.

St_Eddie

"Now witness the power of these fully oiled and operational battle legs."

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 28, 2019, 12:06:52 AM
It's been suggested that since The Jedi officially ended in the last one, "Skywalker" could be the name of the replacement belief system. Like Christianity, but Luke as the mythic central symbol. Certainly one way to explain this title.

It would match the way the concluding chapter of the other trilogies was named.

Episode VI - The Return of the Jedi
Episode III - The Revenge of the Sith
Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It was supposed to be called The Rissoles of Skywalker. Luke left plans to open a Greek restaurant.

The current rumoured plot and events (Google it if you choose) make this sound even worse than The Force Awakens.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 28, 2019, 04:53:13 PM
The current rumoured plot and events (Google it if you choose) make this sound even worse than The Force Awakens.

I've just searched through Google.  Is it this one?

Matt Smith plays a dark side acolyte.

However, during The Rise of Skywalker, Smith's character is willfully possessed by the spirit of Emperor Palpatine.

During the final act of the film Rey and Kylo team up to fight the Palpatine possessed Matt Smith.
The two-on-one duel is pretty intense for the duo.

Eventually Kylo Ren kills Palpatine's host body.

Palpatine's spirit then jumps into Kylo Ren's body.

Kylo Ren is strong enough to not lose total control of his mental faculties.

Kylo Ren struggles to take control of his body but subdues himself and his weapon while beckoning Rey to kill him.

Kylo does the right thing and becomes Ben Solo again as he sacrifices himself to kill Palpatine.

"Your Mother's force ghost sucks Twi'lek head dingle-dangles in Hell."

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 28, 2019, 05:22:37 PM
Yes and I hope it's a load of bollocks.

I have no doubt that it will be a load of bollocks.  The movie, I mean.

St_Eddie

popcorn

Star Wars Episode IX: It'll Be Basically Fine, They're Always Basically Fine

Replies From View

The were reports last year that Matt Smith plays a young version of Palpatine. Maybe we'll get the above instead. This'll be shit, I reckon. 

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 28, 2019, 09:11:28 PM
The were reports last year that Matt Smith plays a young version of Palpatine. Maybe we'll get the above instead.

Nose aside, there is a certain resemblance.  Perhaps he really is playing a young Palpatine.