Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,311
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

I loved Star Wars.  Past tense.  When I was 7.

madhair60

yeah seven pages into this thread. Am I right lads?

Lads: no.

Oh.

momatt

I still bloody love Star Wars!

Old films are great.
Prequels are ok, either ironically fun or genuinely fun.
Sequels are fine.
Holiday Special - ironically awesome.
Mandalorian - great!

Chollis

everyone post your favourite star wars moment!

Jim Bob

Quote from: Chollis on January 31, 2020, 04:18:44 PM

When Spock said that thing.

Blumf

Quote from: Chollis on January 31, 2020, 04:18:44 PM

When the giant sandworm ate the fat guy.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

(oh btw since there are a lot of people here who aren't from the transformative fandom world I should point out that Mary Sue is absolutely a gendered term. Despite its origins, it came to be used as shorthand for any overpowered female fan-character in a fanfic. The reason you even know the term "Mary Sue" is because "Overpowered Female Fan Character (and her Cool Impossible Pet) Goes Adventuring in Canon and Wins the Heart of the Male Character I Like" is an incredibly common fanfic plotline. If you treat fanfic authors like human beings you can usually get them to admit that they've written at least one story like that, even if they never posted it anywhere. Overwhelmingly, girls and women write that story, not boys and men. Why? Because usually there's a dearth of female characters in their preferred intellectual property, and it's a form of wish fulfilment.

Also, there were most definitely fanboys screeching indignantly because Leia used the Force to survive the vacuum of space in TLJ, because "uhbuhbuh when did Leia learn 2 use de force")

and my favourite moment from STar warZ was that wonderful interval between TLJ and TROS when I could imagine a satisfying grown-up ending to the sequel trilogy

chveik

I can't stand tv tropes, they seem dedicated to suck all the joy out of pop culture.

idunnosomename

my favourite character is boba fett. you probably havent heard of him, hes the coolest

Thursday

TV Tropes was fine when viewed purely as an interesting documentation, but then people start to view it as a genuine critical analysis tool, and stretch anything they can to fit the definition of a trope with an implication that exhibiting traits of said trope is cliche and therefore bad.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 31, 2020, 05:47:07 PM
If you treat fanfic authors like human beings
Why in God's name would anyone want to do that?

Cuellar

I like it when the laser beam goes up his jaffas

idunnosomename

New folder

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 31, 2020, 05:32:44 PM
When Spock said that thing.

Oh, my goodness.

The juxtaposition of your ignorance of the Trek transcendental fandom with your sheer unimpeachable rage leaves me betrothed into mirth. I have been a Senior Executive Board Member of the Trek fandom for over 30 years, and your male ignorance of our womanly ways is astounding. You assume I'm just some dumb bitch who doesn't know that Spock isn't in Star Wars. But we in the fanfic community have known this aspect of the canon for many years now. To deny this betrays your misogynistic influences.

I wish we could have our culture wars over something more meaningful than the latest Disney product.

chveik

true. take us away coronavirus, we're already dead

Jim Bob

Quote from: New folder on February 01, 2020, 12:57:04 AM
Oh, my goodness.

The juxtaposition of your ignorance of the Trek transcendental fandom with your sheer unimpeachable rage leaves me betrothed into mirth. I have been a Senior Executive Board Member of the Trek fandom for over 30 years, and your male ignorance of our womanly ways is astounding. You assume I'm just some dumb bitch who doesn't know that Spock isn't in Star Wars. But we in the fanfic community have known this aspect of the canon for many years now. To deny this betrays your misogynistic influences.

I greatly admire this satire.  You got it absolutely bang on.

"Oh, hello. I wasn't checking this thread every day, honest guv'.  I just happened to check in days later, coincidentally at the exact same time that you happened to post another bit of text that was critical of me.  I'm not bothered, really I'm not.  Oh, and also, just so you know, I'm not in the least bit angry.  In fact, I'm going to pretend that I laughed at your critique of myself and found the whole thing highly amusing, just so you know how exactly not bothered I am, even if it paints me as a psychopath who gets off on other people's misery.  Not bothered.  Honest."

You're fooling preciously no-one, Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse.  I'm not skilled at many things in life, but one thing which I do understand is psychology.  I don't pretend to be anything other than upset at your comments.  I'm fragile at the moment.  In fact, I'm considering ways in which to kill myself right now.  For all of my horrendous traits, which are various and sundry, at least I'm honest and upfront with my thoughts, to a fault if anything.  I'm also the world's biggest loser and I aplogise for being unnecessarily intense and harsh with my prior posts.  With that said, I can at least say, with no small amount of assurance, that I'm not a disingenuous person.  I will ask you this; can you claim likewise?

Consider the crux of this post, I implore you.  I don't mean that in a nasty way.  I seriously would care to have a positive impact upon you, if that's not too bold of a desire to hold.  If I only achieve one thing in this life, it would be for you to take your words into consideration in future and to contemplate the ramifications that they have; to treat people online in the same manner in which you would treat them face-to-face.  Words have meaning.  Words hurt.  Words can lift a person's confidence, just as easily as they can push a person over the edge.  It's not right to implicate that a liberal person is a bigot, simply because they were critical of a movie which you liked.  Please consider this.

Jim Bob, can you please not call me a liar? I didn't check the thread every day. I marked the entire subforum as "Read" so I wouldn't be tempted.

QuoteIn fact, I'm considering ways in which to kill myself right now.
First, call the Samaritans. Second, fuck you for saying this as though I've literally murdered you with my awful, awful words. Third, if you react so badly to someone saying "meh people wouldn't complain about Rey being a Mary Sue if she was a dude" then I implore you to seek therapy to help regulate your emotions. I'm not responsible for your lack of control or taking a general comment insanely personally.

QuoteIt's not right to implicate that a liberal person is a bigot,
I didn't .

It's also not right to scream and clutch your pearls because you imagined that someone was impugning a paragon of liberal thought such as yourself.

QuoteWords can lift a person's confidence, just as easily as they can push a person over the edge.
Well, if you're so fragile, maybe you shouldn't be reading internet forums and replying to people's posts.

BTW, keep your apology since you just called me a psychopath for not tenderly kissing your wounded ego all better.

Jim Bob

I've got my own shit going on.  I'm not blaming you.

Quote from: Jim Bob on February 01, 2020, 09:14:36 AM
I've got my own shit going on.  I'm not blaming you.
Dude seriously if you're in a bad place please get off here and call the Samaritans or a hotline or even go down to A&E.

madhair60

oy vey

You can almost spot the moment Brexit kicks in.

Chollis

chewie, were gonna need a bigger boat!

That's all fascinating stuff, and I could read these riveting debates all day.

But have any of you considered Shirt?

QuoteA shirt was an article of clothing that was worn over an individual's torso. One type of shirt was a T-shirt, such as the one worn by Nash Windrider while he exercised at the Royal Imperial Academy.

At the Imperial Academy, no less. In his fancy T-shirt.

idunnosomename

i would have thought the empire had embroidered polo shirts like they have at b&q

olliebean

Quote from: Default to the negative on February 01, 2020, 05:54:26 PM
That's all fascinating stuff, and I could read these riveting debates all day.

But have any of you considered Shirt?

Where it is.

Armin Meiwes

Bloody love the star wars me, if we're doing favourite characters mines probably the little gay robot fella and his sidekick there so funny!

Blumf

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on February 06, 2020, 08:58:08 PM
Bloody love the star wars me, if we're doing favourite characters mines probably the little gay robot fella and his sidekick there so funny!