Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:00:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

If anyone fancies seeing a 'documentary' about the sequel trilogy, that's mostly YouTubers whining, check this out!
It's an hour and 20 minutes long and I saw the whole thing.
I'm wasting my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJONGbOTVc

I get that it could have been better and was a bit rubbish, but good grief these people take it all so seriously.  They're so entitled and all act like they've been personally targeted by Disney.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That's nothing. There was a five hour one dedicated solely to tearing into The Last Jedi.

I watched a 40 minute video defending that film recently. It seemed perfectly reasonable to me, with (what I took to be) the odd tongue in cheek joke about the backlash. However, the comments were chock full of people acting like the bloke responsible had committed a bloody hate crime.

touchingcloth

That's nothing. There's a person who has been live streaming every since TFA was released and all they talk about is how much they hate it.

chveik

Quote from: momatt on February 07, 2020, 12:22:47 PM
If anyone fancies seeing a 'documentary' about the sequel trilogy, that's mostly YouTubers whining, check this out!
I'm wasting my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJONGbOTVc

I get that it could have been better and was a bit rubbish, but good grief these people take it all so seriously.  They're so entitled and all act like they've been personally targeted by Disney.

bloody hell this is peak deso at times. (I am also wasting my life tbf, I haven't even watched the films)

idunnosomename

amazing how some youtubers just rant about star wars over computer game footage and consider that genuine video content

chveik

there's certainly a lack of self-awareness in thinking that talking with your pals about a film deserves to be recorded. I expect most of them don't get much views though.

what is Ben Shapiro doing in there btw?

Urinal Cake

You would think most people would just move on to the next thing.

I can't wait till the Harry Potter backlash begins. Rowling might be a transphobe but a series of shit books and films will really bring the hate.

That last Fantastic Beasts film got pretty well savaged by critics.

What I don't understand is letting a crap new entry in a series ruin the good stuff for you. I grew up with the original Star Warses. I love the original Star Warses. No amount of new rubbish (and there was plenty of it, even before the prequels) can burst my cosy little nostalgia bubble.

Urinal Cake

Fans still want anything Potter related. They also probably have lower standards but more things going on in their lives due to their youth.

Shaky

I love a bit of cinema discussion, whether it's jokey or serious, but genuinely have no clue how people sit through those Youtube videos. I just.... don't.... understand. Absolute peak of shite. You can be passionate about something without being so fucking boring and obnoxious for hours on end. Read the online comments for any new blockbuster and you find them swamped with similar types as well. Just awful people.

Dex Sawash

Finally went back for a rewatch. Liked it a little more since I was prepared better for how relentless it is. Didn't notice before but I think Babu Frik has got his little tits out. Pixar Lamp droid; HAHAABUSED.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on February 08, 2020, 07:34:21 AM
Fans still want anything Potter related. They also probably have lower standards, due to being Harry Potter fans.
Fixed.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Head Gardener

Quote from: Shaky on February 08, 2020, 08:55:05 AM

I bet that guy attracts suicides.  They get on top of his gel-stiffened hair then fall and smash to pieces on the bridge of his nose.

batwings

Quote from: momatt on February 07, 2020, 12:22:47 PM

I thought Dicktor Van Doomcock made some salient points.

Thursday

Another post-movie explanation of a plot hole that just raises more questions.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-palpatine-clone-rise-skywalker-confirm-novel/?utm_content=bufferff1a8&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=SR-TW&utm_campaign=SR-TW

The novelization of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker confirms Palpatine was a clone. The Disney era of Star Wars has frequently used novelizations to tie up loose ends from the films themselves. In the case of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the film had a startling number of plot holes that writer Rae Carson will surely be hoping to navigate.

Marketing for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker had emphasized the unexpected return of Emperor Palpatine, and moviegoers were eager to learn how Darth Sidious had survived his death in Return of the Jedi. Remarkably, the film avoided explaining it at all; the Emperor hand-waved the question away with a quote from Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some would consider unnatural," he observed. It's generally been assumed Carson's novelization will shed a little more light on matters.

mjwilson

I feel like the film made it at least moderately clear that he was a clone. I mean he didn't say "my name's Palpatine,  emperor Palpatine, you've heard of me but I'm a clone of the famous one." But Charlie from Lost says that the Sith were into cloning so there's at least a reasonable implication.

Anyway this is one thing that I'm not cross at the film for.

Thursday

Bullshit, the clone idea doesn't make much sense either. This is another valid reason to laugh at the film for being incompetently crap.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on March 01, 2020, 05:47:31 PM
Bullshit, the clone idea doesn't make much sense either. This is another valid reason to laugh at the film for being incompetently crap.

Why doesn't it make sense? Original Palpatine died, servants transferred spooky ghost into pre-prepared clone body.

It does contradict Lucas' idea that Dark Side users don't live on as spirits after death, whereas Light Side users live on through the force, but in terms of the plot of this film, it makes perfect sense and doesn't need explaining beyond what is shown (ie. a bunch of cloning tanks, sith goblins, and Palps mentioning unnatural Sith abilities, like transferring a soul). It's fine.     

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on March 01, 2020, 06:13:33 PM
Why doesn't it make sense? Original Palpatine died, servants transferred spooky ghost into pre-prepared clone body.

It does contradict Lucas' idea that Dark Side users don't live on as spirits after death, whereas Light Side users live on through the force, but in terms of the plot of this film, it makes perfect sense and doesn't need explaining beyond what is shown (ie. a bunch of cloning tanks, sith goblins, and Palps mentioning unnatural Sith abilities, like transferring a soul). It's fine.   

I'd tend to agree there, it was a rare case of Abrams showing a reasonably sublte hand rather than either depending on illgoicall mystery boxes or over explained plotting, gives enough to the audience for us to guess whats happened without having to know the specific. After the terrible opening crawl that section with Kylo visiting him almost had me hoping the negative hype around the film was wrong, didn't last of course.

Thursday

mjwilson

The main problem with the clone is that nobody asks "how many more clones are there that we need to kill as well?"

Thursday

Couldn't they have made a clone that didn't look like Palpatine would look if he hadn't been vapourised at the end of return of the Jedi and then aged another 30+ years.

Bad Ambassador

You never hear about Star Peace, do you?

Doomy Dwyer

When are they going to have a star mans day?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

ugh no one caaaaares, it's shiiit

although Disney I will say that if you're relying on novelisations to plug up plot holes in your movies, MAYBE HIRE BETTER WRITERS AND EDITORS?