Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:52:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

SteveDave

Quote from: SteveDave on June 09, 2020, 11:34:59 AM
Someone has taken it upon themselves to dramatise the screenplay for "Duel Of The Fates" which was going to be the Colin Treverrow end to the new trilogy in podcast form.

It won't surprise you to learn that it's no good. It doesn't help that the actors are all amateurs (and Finn's mic keeps cutting out) nor that there's a narrator reading out the stage directions but the actual story is boring. I've listened to 4 episodes so far (at 15-20 minutes each) and, as far as I can remember, nothing's happened. 

I'm sticking with it to the grim end though so I can justify liking TRoS.

Christmas Day. They've got Poe fancying Rey in this. They have to kiss to avoid being seen by some Stormtroopers. This is grimly entrancing.

Replies From View

Quote from: SteveDave on June 10, 2020, 09:37:15 AM
Christmas Day. They've got Poe fancying Rey in this. They have to kiss to avoid being seen by some Stormtroopers. This is grimly entrancing.

Is it the one where Luke Skywalker is actually bald and his clothes are a hologram?

And at the end he regenerates into Peter Capaldi?

Quote from: SteveDave on June 10, 2020, 09:37:15 AM

On a similar subject, did anyone ever read that comic they made of an early draft of "The Star Wars"?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars

Christ, what a mess that is. Lucas introduces about a hundred different characters, planets and factions in one go and you spend most of it trying to remember who everyone is and why they hate each other.

Oh, and it's really, really boring.

Custard

Custard

Probably bollocks, but the bloke who's claiming this, erm Dr Doomcock, has been right about a few other things in regards to yer Wars

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-rumor-reset-sequel-trilogy-disney/

Can't see it myself, as it's basically admitting way too soon after the fact that they ballsed it right up

This "multiverse" and "alternate timeline" stuff is very handy when it comes to pretending stuff never happened, or happened "elsewhere", isn't it!

Custard

What would be funny though, is if this sequel trilogy was bumped from canon and then someone else made a "proper timeline" sequel trilogy and it was shit or even worse.

They could use this ridiculous washing of hands and starting again routine for years. Til Hamill and the last remaining four fans die out. Then CGI them back in

Still, I guess anything is possible when you've pumped 4 billion into something and lost half the audience in a few years. Reeks of desperation, but would be fascinating to see unfold

"How can we get the fans back?"
*Bloke jumps up*
"Say it didn't happen! And now we're gonna show you what REALLY happened!!!"
*Everyone goes for 4 hour lunch*

Replies From View

If they can redo Episodes VII-IX why not also Episodes I-III?

Custard

Ooh, good idea

Show us the real young Darth Vader please x

Blumf

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 05, 2020, 08:52:12 AM
What would be funny though, is if this sequel trilogy was bumped from canon and then someone else made a "proper timeline" sequel trilogy and it was shit or even worse.

Terminator franchise did it first!

Custard

True true!

I guess DC is trying that too, what with the Snyder Cut and apparently rehiring Affleck. And the Pattinson Batman hasn't even come out yet!

If Keaton is gonna play an older Bats too, then that's three different Batmen and three different timelines or multiverses going at once

The hope must be AT LEAST ONE MIGHT STICK. PLEAASSSE

Replies From View

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 05, 2020, 09:23:26 AM
Ooh, good idea

Show us the real young Darth Vader please x

I must admit I never really understood why a prequel trilogy needed to be about anyone related to Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.  I can see the temptation to do that, but it seems a very unimaginative route to follow, and cements Star Wars films as "Skywalker" films, which is why Episodes VII-IX ended up following that paradigm as well.

More interesting would have been following a different group entirely for the prequel trilogy.  Very little crossover with Episodes IV-VI was needed, beyond the background sense that the universe was the same and it was a few decades before.  Much like Rogue One, I guess.  A trilogy as detached from the Skywalkers as Rogue One, but set a couple of decades earlier.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 05, 2020, 08:45:48 AM
Probably bollocks, but the bloke who's claiming this, erm Dr Doomcock, has been right about a few other things in regards to yer Wars

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-rumor-reset-sequel-trilogy-disney/

Can't see it myself, as it's basically admitting way too soon after the fact that they ballsed it right up

This "multiverse" and "alternate timeline" stuff is very handy when it comes to pretending stuff never happened, or happened "elsewhere", isn't it!

Pretty sure Doomcock is the guy who said that Star Trek was being sold to Seth McFarlane and Discovery was going to be cancelled before season 3. Neither of those things have happened yet.

Now going back through his vids he did correctly leak/predict that RoS was going to be a trainwreck[nb]Although let's be honest, most of us did that as soon as we heard The Emperor would be back in it[/nb] and Ashoka Tano was going to be in it, as voiceover only.

greenman

Its probably not as impossible as it sounds, you could argue these sequels originally benefited a lot from the backlash to the prequels so running on the backlash to the sequels would be a way to repeat that and of course do keep the existing characters.

Unlike with Lucas there probably not any ego involved with the higher ups in Disney, just earning potential.

Ant Farm Keyboard

You can't reset the sequel trilogy, especially just six months after it was completed. Hundreds of millions of people have watched the films in theaters. Disney has just released a huge boxset with films I-IX marketed as the "Skywalker Saga". For better and worse, they'll stay in the minds of people as episodes VII-IX.

This rumor is so idiotic I don't see how it can get any traction.

mjwilson

Yes, obviously bullshit.

"Oh a cartoon had time travelly stuff in it, therefore Disney are about to cancel some films which I didn't like."

BritishHobo

I just can't imagine anyone in Disney thinking it's a good idea to dive into such convoluted waters for little result. What do you do, do you have a film that exists solely to explain to viewers, to kids, why they now shouldn't consider the sequels 'canon'? Bad critical reception or not, that's just a really confusing stamp to put on their big-budget trilogy after the fact. When kids go to Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland, will the teenager playing Rey have to remind kids as she signs autographs and takes pictures that this encounter is technically happening in an alternate pocket universe, and that if they buy a BB-8 he won't actually be canon when they get home? IS THAT WHAT WILL HAPPEN, DR DOOMCOCK?!

Replies From View

To be fair though it was a pretty stupid idea to make shit films instead of good ones

I know it's easy to say it with hindsight, but they've had plenty of experience now making films.  They should have learned by now that shit films aren't preferable to good ones.

Custard

You won't all be saying this when you get your popcorn and sit two metres apart for Star Wars Episode VII The 2nd - The Fate Of Porkins

Blumf

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 05, 2020, 07:16:47 PM
You won't all be saying this when you get your popcorn and sit two metres apart for Star Wars Episode VII The 2nd - The Fate Of Porkins

It's about family, and all you can eat buffets.

Custard

Replies From View

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 05, 2020, 07:16:47 PM

Can't be much worse than Mary Porkins Returns.

dr beat

I'm wondering if they might instead make a series of films, labelling them 'spin-offs' for convenience, which might be set in between or just before Eps VII-IX, and use them to try and plug some of the continuity holes.  So they might for example do an equivalent of Rogue One set just before VII to explain the rise of the First Order, and explain the Resistance etc.   

QDRPHNC

Why stick with Star Wars at all.

Galaxy Battles.
Night Fights.

The possibilities are endless.

Mr_Simnock

space bumminggalaxy gonzo'scomet cumming

Quote from: dr beat on July 06, 2020, 03:29:17 PM
I'm wondering if they might instead make a series of films, labelling them 'spin-offs' for convenience, which might be set in between or just before Eps VII-IX, and use them to try and plug some of the continuity holes.  So they might for example do an equivalent of Rogue One set just before VII to explain the rise of the First Order, and explain the Resistance etc.

Would anyone want to watch that though?

They struggled to sell Solo, the origin of probably the most beloved character in the franchise, so I'm not sure how much audience there is for the origins of inconsequential shit nobody cares about.