Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:56:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: Replies From View on July 15, 2020, 08:36:03 AM
I believe the Holiday Special already did this.

That'll make it canon and then it'll get a tie-in Blu-Raymond release.

$$$$$$[/font][/b]

Blumf

Looking forwards to a CGI'd Bea Arthur tending the Mos Eisley Cantina

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Replies From View

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 15, 2020, 02:30:58 PM
This is how any dead actors should be resurrected: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNnWL9YzjE

Absolutely agree.  In fact I'd go so far as to say this is the only way the Star Wars universe should be expanded from now on.

Goldentony

blu ray holiday special world be worth it for the boba fett cartoon but then worthless for the rest of the nightmare experience, but then I guess the prequels are out on blu-ahhhhh [yanked off by sheperds crook]

idunnosomename

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 15, 2020, 02:30:58 PM
This is how any dead actors should be resurrected: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNnWL9YzjE
god that is marvellous isn't it

"only one crystal you have got! complete crap you have been!"

"hahaha! the pony-trekking holiday in Ullswater will be mine!!!"

Thursday

In today's edition of "They put absolutely no thought or planning into this"

https://twitter.com/sleemo/status/1303543943603335168

idunnosomename

To be fair, isn't the OT similar? Just Vader being Luke's father was a good idea, and explained properly. This was just shit. Although changing your mind twice is a bit dumb

kalowski

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 11, 2020, 07:45:30 PM
To be fair, isn't the OT similar? Just Vader being Luke's father was a good idea, and explained properly. This was just shit. Although changing your mind twice is a bit dumb
Everyone knew there were bits in the original trilogy that were made up on the fly. Then Lucas cobbled together the Prequel trilogy with way too many ludicrous characters and coincidences.

So that's all they had to avoid with this one. And they blew it. The Last Jedi is the only one worth watching in my opinion.

Thursday

There's also the fact that they were in a much better position to plan out the trilogy with this, rather than with the original where there was no idea if it would be a success.

kalowski

Quote from: Thursday on September 11, 2020, 10:08:14 PM
There's also the fact that they were in a much better position to plan out the trilogy with this, rather than with the original where there was no idea if it would be a success.
Exactly. They really fucked it up.

Alberon

And with the original trilogy when the first was a massive hit they knew they could end the second film on a cliffhanger.

I mean, just having a three-hour planning meeting before making The Force Awakens could have made all the difference. Instead you end up with a trilogy where the one thing it is not is a trilogy.

touchingcloth

Quote from: kalowski on September 11, 2020, 09:09:11 PM
Everyone knew there were bits in the original trilogy that were made up on the fly. Then Lucas cobbled together the Prequel trilogy with way too many ludicrous characters and coincidences.

So that's all they had to avoid with this one. And they blew it. The Last Jedi is the only one worth watching in my opinion.

TLJ is my favourite by quite a margin.

Quote from: Alberon on September 12, 2020, 10:03:20 AM
And with the original trilogy when the first was a massive hit they knew they could end the second film on a cliffhanger.

I mean, just having a three-hour planning meeting before making The Force Awakens could have made all the difference. Instead you end up with a trilogy where the one thing it is not is a trilogy.

It's kind of incredible that Abrams - or anyone - didn't sketch out the entire arc of the trilogy given that the one thing we knew for certain was that the sequels would come in the form of a trilogy. I suppose it's not that surprising given that Abrams is the man who made Lost on the hoof, but it's mind boggling that any studio, let alone Disney, would sign off on the thing without knowing roughly who the characters were and what their arcs would be. It's a shame because there are any number of people in Hollywood who could have plotted a proper trilogy with some rewarding and earned payoffs, but we just got a load of tonal inconsistencies and the final upshot being the Grampa(lpatine) shite.

I was going to say it's a shame that they just missed the boat on having Feige helm things, but if he had have done episode XI probably would have ended with some time travel. Maybe Finnegans Wake style with Rey and Kylo flying a ship towards a trade blockade of Naboo.

greenman

The Rey/Kylo stuff in Last Jedi was really the only worthwhile part of the sequels I'd say even if it did ultimately back out on its premise and was surrounded by a lot of crap.

Its depressing that my judgement of the sequels was pretty much correct 10 seconds after I read Abrams was directing the first film.

The most frustrating thing is that the story of the grandson of Vader and the granddaughter of Palpatine could have been brilliant, if they'd originally set out to tell that story and told it properly. They did neither of those things.

touchingcloth

Quote from: greenman on September 12, 2020, 03:57:54 PM
The Rey/Kylo stuff in Last Jedi was really the only worthwhile part of the sequels I'd say even if it did ultimately back out on its premise and was surrounded by a lot of crap.

Its depressing that my judgement of the sequels was pretty much correct 10 seconds after I read Abrams was directing the first film.

I loved the Rey/Ren stuff in TLJ, it's the best characterisation in any Star Wars.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 12, 2020, 05:24:38 PM
The most frustrating thing is that the story of the grandson of Vader and the granddaughter of Palpatine could have been brilliant, if they'd originally set out to tell that story and told it properly. They did neither of those things.

Yup. TLJ set up what could have been an interesting story arc with Ren losing his master in Snoke, I was really looking forward to seeing what XI brought, because the story of a hero who has lost their mentor has been told many times over, but I can't think of many instances where that has been inverted to the villain. The film lost interest for me when Palestine returned and it became just another two-Sith story.

Blumf

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 12, 2020, 09:21:07 PM
The film lost interest for me when Palestine returned...

Looking great for Corbyn.

Phil_A

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 12, 2020, 03:12:42 PM
TLJ is my favourite by quite a margin.

It's kind of incredible that Abrams - or anyone - didn't sketch out the entire arc of the trilogy given that the one thing we knew for certain was that the sequels would come in the form of a trilogy. I suppose it's not that surprising given that Abrams is the man who made Lost on the hoof, but it's mind boggling that any studio, let alone Disney, would sign off on the thing without knowing roughly who the characters were and what their arcs would be. It's a shame because there are any number of people in Hollywood who could have plotted a proper trilogy with some rewarding and earned payoffs, but we just got a load of tonal inconsistencies and the final upshot being the Grampa(lpatine) shite.

I was going to say it's a shame that they just missed the boat on having Feige helm things, but if he had have done episode XI probably would have ended with some time travel. Maybe Finnegans Wake style with Rey and Kylo flying a ship towards a trade blockade of Naboo.

To be fair, finishing things isn't really Abrams M.O. He likes to be the guy that sets up the beginning of an ongoing story and then rides off into the sunset leaving someone else to figure out what the fuck all his mystery box nonsense could actually mean. On Lost, for example, he was involved in devising the initial premise but not a great deal beyond that. You can practically sense the panic in Rise Of Skywalker, as circumstances forced him to actually resolve a storyline that he himself began, what a nightmare!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Phil_A on September 13, 2020, 10:05:27 AM
To be fair, finishing things isn't really Abrams M.O. He likes to be the guy that sets up the beginning of an ongoing story and then rides off into the sunset leaving someone else to figure out what the fuck all his mystery box nonsense could actually mean. On Lost, for example, he was involved in devising the initial premise but not a great deal beyond that. You can practically sense the panic in Rise Of Skywalker, as circumstances forced him to actually resolve a storyline that he himself began, what a nightmare!

Ha! Also much as I enjoyed TLJ Johnson did wipe out all of the teasers Abrams had been dangling - a powerful Snoke, a family legacy for Rey - so the trilogy as a whole flip flops like mad, and feels like the world's most expensive rap battle.

Glebe

Rise is actually kind of the worst Star Wars movie, for all it's fan-pleasing attempts.

Kelvin

Quote from: Glebe on September 13, 2020, 01:24:04 PM
Rise is actually kind of the worst Star Wars movie, for all it's fan-pleasing attempts.

It's certainly the only one that feels like it has no vision for it whatsoever, the therefore the one which has the least identity. It's also the most nonsensical, just lots of stuff happening.

Alberon

It's true. The Force Awakens for all its mess did an almost reasonable greatest hits of Star Wars to convince people that it was okay it was in new hands. On its own The Last Jedi has good moments and ideas(in between real dross like the slowest space chase in film history) but when shitting on all the loose ends from the previous film it fatally wounds the trilogy.

Even though the prequel trilogy has risible (and racist) characters, dreadful dialogue and awful direction amongst all its other problems it is at least a trilogy. One film builds on another.

Rise though, just garbage from start to finish.

As others have said, go back to a simple, linear action film for the next one.

The Mandalorian is very much style over substance, but it does work. The Kenobi series could work too.

touchingcloth

At least the midichlorians in the prequels were in service of telling a particular story. Whether you like them or not you can probably agree that eps I-III have strong and easily identifiable themes. he Palatine reveal was so disappointing - I said for fuck's sake to myself in the cinema, and then just thought 'this is how Star War ends?"

Why are we supposed to think Porcupine is actually dead at the end? He starts the film by saying "I die all the time mate, it doesn't actually kill me".

greenman

Abrams realised bad nostalgia blockbusters were his hearts true desire, that's all he could make and faced with that reality he committed career suicide.

mjwilson

I know it's fun to shit on JJ, but let's leave some of the blame for Chris Terrio.

Dr Rock

I was thinking about the end of Return Of The Jedi, because Palpatine's return in Rise Of Skywalker arguably undoes his big victory when he doesn't turn to the Dark Side and that. But so what if he did? Death Star 2 gets exploded a couple of minutes later anyway.

buzby

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 11, 2020, 07:45:30 PM
It wasn't quite 'made up on the spot' during shooting though. Vader being Luke's father was introduced in the second draft of the ESB script (1st of April 1978). Luke's father was reintroduced in Leigh Brackett's first draft (having been a part of Lucas' original Journey of the Whills story) and he was to appear as a force ghost alongside Obi Wan while Luke was on Dagobah. Brackett died before she could write a second draft (Lucas wasn't keen on her story and had prepared copious edits) so Lucas had to rewrite it himself, during which Luke's father was excised and he became Vader. It was also the point where it changed from Part II to Part V, so I guess the rest of the trilogy and the prequels can be said to date from that point too.

The 'I am your father' line was never written into the ESB shooting script to keep it a secret. Only Irving Kershner and Mark Hamill were told and what the dialogue would be when the scene was shot, and James Earl Jones was told during his VO session.
Quote from: Lawrence Kasdan's fourth draft shooting script, 24/10/78
VADER
The Force runs strong in the Skywalker line. You will achieve
great power... Come, join with me! Together we will be the most
powerful... even stronger than The Emperor.

(INSERT B - DIALOGUE ADDED HERE)

LUKE
No!... Never...