Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:34:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

ZoyzaSorris

An incoherent mess? I suppose sleepy joe is a bit like ROTJ.

idunnosomename

I dont know but Hamill misses the point so much. imagine if someone like him had endorsed Bernie. ah well.

yas 🙌 everything is back to normal and good again

That meme is directly stolen from a pro-Sanders meme circa November 2016. Outrageous!

Thomas

Star Wars-tangential tidbit that I learned recently:

A greeble or nurnie is a prominent detailing added to the surface of a larger object that makes it appear more complex, and therefore more visually interesting. It usually gives the audience an impression of increased scale.

I imagine lots of yer are already familiar with the practice, but it was new to me. One thing I enjoyed on my Star Wars binge this year was the design of the universe's sci-fi bits and pieces, which stands the test of time so well that a 2020 series like The Mandalorian doesn't need to tweak anything. The act of greebling definitely contributes to that.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/greebles-how-tiny-details-make-a-huge-star-wars-universe/

QuoteOne of the techniques Dykstra's team used is now commonly known as kitbashing: they took small pieces from dozens of model kits and applied them to their scale miniatures in ways that made them look unrecognizable to all but the most eagle-eyed. Parts from World War II flak cannons, US Navy battleships, fighter planes, T-34 tanks, and submarines all made it onto the ships and vehicles in Star Wars and its sequels, from the Star Destroyer to Han Solo's Millennium Falcon.

buzby

Quote from: Thomas on November 18, 2020, 06:14:46 PM
Star Wars-tangential tidbit that I learned recently:

I imagine lots of yer are already familiar with the practice, but it was new to me. One thing I enjoyed on my Star Wars binge this year was the design of the universe's sci-fi bits and pieces, which stands the test of time so well that a 2020 series like The Mandalorian doesn't need to tweak anything. The act of greebling definitely contributes to that.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/greebles-how-tiny-details-make-a-huge-star-wars-universe/
'Greebling' existed long before Star Wars - Derek Meddings' model shop crew on Gerry Anderson's shows made extensive use of kitbashing to construct and detail the many miniatures they had to build (usually attached to main hulls carved from Jelutong wood), and the miniatures in 2001 (or 'bigatures - the larger of the two Discovery models was 54 feet long) were also extensively detailed with model kit parts. Silent Running and Dark Star also made use of plenty of model kits to make their ships (Bomb 20 in Dark Star was built from an AMT 1/25th scale reefer lorry trailer, the engine from a 1/12th scale Tamiya Matra F1 car and the hull from a 1/48th scale Tamiya Swedish S-Tank).

There is a small but dedicated community of model makers who make as near to exact as they can get replicas of the studio scale models from SF films. For Star Wars in particular they have over many years identified what parts wrre used ot detail the models from screen grabs and reference photographs and have managed to built up parts maps of which pieces from which kits were used on the studio models, which changed from model to model - there were 5 'hero' X Wings built for Star Wars, for example, and no two were the same. Similarly there are two Millennium Falcons - a 5-foot diameter one that was built for the original Star Wars, and a 3-foot diameter one that was built for Empire (as the 5-foot one was awkward to film for dynamic camera movements). In the smaller Falcon's case they tried to use smaller scale versions of the same kits to source the detailing parts, but in some cases they didn't exist so they had to improvise or scratchbuild similar-looking parts instead

evilcommiedictator

Adam Savage (you know, worked at ILM) has done a few videos on Greeblies, here is a good one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dncRHH9f6MI

Pranet

Not sure if this has been put somewhere else but- Disney are selling Alan Dean Foster's novelisations of Star Wars but are not paying him, because, they argue "When they bought Lucas and Fox, they acquired the copyright licenses that enabled them to sell the Foster's books - but not the liability, the legal obligation to pay him for his books."

Full story in this twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1329240238816858120

Glebe

Quote from: Pranet on November 19, 2020, 09:59:18 AMNot sure if this has been put somewhere else but- Disney are selling Alan Dean Foster's novelisations of Star Wars but are not paying him, because, they argue "When they bought Lucas and Fox, they acquired the copyright licenses that enabled them to sell the Foster's books - but not the liability, the legal obligation to pay him for his books."

Full story in this twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1329240238816858120

Great, now I feel even more guilty about subscribing to Disney+ for a month.

Meanwhile, some interesting things revealed by Lucas here:

Darth Maul's sequel role and 9 other Star Wars tidbits from Taschen's new prequel book.

Laughing at that factoid about putting Christensen in lifts so big he couldn't walk, rather than simply casting a Dave Prowse body double to play Vader in Ep III. What a stupidly ridiculous thing to do.

"Oh, but him stumbling about made it look like he was getting used to his robot legs." Yes, good point George, there's no way you could have found a tall body builder who was capable of staggering about for three seconds. Absolutely worth the trade off of having a Vader who literally couldn't move. Fucking hell.

Glebe

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 19, 2020, 11:06:59 AMLaughing at that factoid about putting Christensen in lifts so big he couldn't walk, rather than simply casting a Dave Prowse body double to play Vader in Ep III. What a stupidly ridiculous thing to do.

"Oh, but him stumbling about made it look like he was getting used to his robot legs." Yes, good point George, there's no way you could have found a tall body builder who was capable of staggering about for three seconds. Absolutely worth the trade off of having a Vader who literally couldn't move. Fucking hell.

I think Christensen was so keen on actually playing Vader that they let him have his way.

"Hayden, please, you're ruining the film."

"It's already shit, George. Now, where's my fucking helmet?"

Replies From View

"Please just stand there and be a force ghost for this shot, Hayden."

"Lol mate where's the CG pears"

"George, come quick, Hayden's set himself on fire in the carpark. He's gone full method."

Leo2112

I missed this at the time as I've largely stopped paying attention to Star Wars stuff, but last year Disney+ changed the Han/Greedo scene yet again.  The latest addition is Greedo now uttering the word 'Maclunkey' before he meets his end - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH19gKo7W7w

I like this suggestion under the video:
QuoteMy favorite thing about all this is they literally just added the "Maclunkey" shit on top of all the stuff they already changed, so it's a mashup of almost every edit they've already made all in one. I hope in 100 years they keep editing this one scene until this scene alone plays out like a YouTube Poop

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Leo2112 on January 06, 2021, 02:00:29 AM
I missed this at the time as I've largely stopped paying attention to Star Wars stuff, but last year Disney+ changed the Han/Greedo scene yet again.  The latest addition is Greedo now uttering the word 'Maclunkey' before he meets his end - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH19gKo7W7w

I like this suggestion under the video:

Cried laughing the first time I saw this, like doubled over, weeping and coughing. It's one of the most superfluous edits in any medium, but it's the potent combo of the already-controversial scene it's added to and the fucking real-world-goofy-surname quality of the word itself that killed me. I think if it had been subtitled, no change, I may have died for real.

greenman

It makes even less sense as he's both shooting Han AND in the middle of talking to him.

Magnum Valentino

bgmnts

Greedo is my favourite Star Wars character so am absolutely gutted.

Key

I always found that 1st re-edit (1997) hilarious because of how awful Greedo's shot was. His blaster is under the table pointed 2ft from Han, yet the laser-bolt seems to float out the end like cigarette smoke and go up near to the ceiling somewhere. He's meant to be some kind of assassin isn't he? He deserves to get killed.

Glebe

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 30, 2021, 02:04:06 AMhttps://youtu.be/W3NS84flTYc

Heh, just watched that the other day!

And just to reiterate: Rise of Skywalker is the WORST Star Wars movie.

Replies From View

kalowski

greenman

Yep I think clearly so, does have the Han/Ben scene and the fights before it I spose but pretty much zero else in its favour and really just lays bare its Abrams grinding the wheels with zero ambition for anything but a one off diversion.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Rise of Skywalker is basically a guy on speed trying to distract a kid for two hours and a half, constantly  abandoning stories a couple of minutes in.

Kelvin

I don't think it's the worst in terms of writing, direction, story-telling, or pacing, but I do think it's the most cynical and joyless and, bizarrely for the final film of the current nine, the one that feels most inessential.   

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's a film so concerned about ticking all the boxes that it simply forgets to tell anything compelling or to have even one moment of surprise or shock. One minute, it introduces an old flame for Poe Dameron, or a potential love interest for Finn, then as soon as the sequence is over, they're gone, only to return in the finale, as we're already on a different planet (box #27: "There should be more new worlds to visit").

And the final fight against Palpatine is abysmally executed. You have the entire Light Side against the entire Dark Side of the Force. It should make for compelling visuals, but Abrams just piles on vocal cameos instead...