Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:12:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Was it Collider did that interview with Serafinowicz about his nearly being in Solo? That was good value, anyway - and I say that as somebody who can't stand these types of content.

St_Eddie

Quote from: goinggoinggone on June 06, 2019, 01:47:15 PM
...Jeremy Jahns...

*vomits*

Fucking Jahns, man.  Involuntary gag reflex every single time.

Glebe

Quote from: mothman on June 06, 2019, 08:20:59 PMWas it Collider did that interview with Serafinowicz about his nearly being in Solo?

Yep.

bgmnts

Average director, shit writer, tired franchise.

Will be a very fun film to laugh at whilst watching. I will give them my money this one last time then be done with Star Wars forever. Actually will this time.

Bad Ambassador

RLM has done another prediction video, with the climax they spitball actually being a fitting conclusion to the saga - so it probably won't happen, eh readers?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 15, 2019, 02:46:24 PM
RLM has done another prediction video, with the climax they spitball actually being a fitting conclusion to the saga - so it probably won't happen, eh readers?

Someone on Reddit mentioned that Mike's absurd plot idea (although backed up with some circumstantial evidence from the teaser) has actually had the groundwork laid for it in Star Wars Rebels.

mothman

Can anyone summarise so we don't have to sit through these gurning morons and their annoying voices?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: mothman on July 15, 2019, 10:56:07 PM
Can anyone summarise so we don't have to sit through these gurning morons and their annoying voices?

Not with that attitude, no.

kidsick5000

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2019, 02:08:08 AM
Not with that attitude, no.

I will tell people this throughout the day.

Quote from: mothman on July 15, 2019, 10:56:07 PM

They go through a number of ideas. All seem plausible.

They also make a fair comment that Star Wars has exhausted its story and is narratively running on fumes

The main one they say is that the film could feature the current characters traveling back in time to all the past films, for a greatest-hits reel.

Norton Canes

It's far, far away, mate. Can't get further away than that.

Blumf

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 16, 2019, 03:23:40 AM
They also make a fair comment that Star Wars has exhausted its story and is narratively running on fumes

They keep on saying that but I'm not convinced. I think you can run through lots of new stories in that universe, it's just that Disney keeps on needlessly tying themselves to the original formula. Of course that's going to be stale.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blumf on July 16, 2019, 12:44:42 PM
They keep on saying that but I'm not convinced. I think you can run through lots of new stories in that universe, it's just that Disney keeps on needlessly tying themselves to the original formula. Of course that's going to be stale.

Is there a Star Wars film or show or game or comic without lightsabers or Stormtroopers?

Blumf

bgmnts

So yes, the Star Wars universe has plenty of scope or new, interesting stories, characters and concepts.

Kelvin

So long as they're either smugglers, or force users, yes.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 16, 2019, 12:42:59 PM
It's far, far away, mate. Can't get further away than that.

Isn't "a little bit further" further than that?

QDRPHNC

To be fair to Disney, they handed the reins over entirely to an auteur with The Last Jedi, and it was utter muck. No wonder they spazzed out about Solo.

Replies From View

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blumf on July 16, 2019, 12:44:42 PM

Technically there are hundreds and thousands of scenarios in god know how many galaxies that you could do. But the whole point of buying a franchise is familiar characters with a built in fan base, and that fan base is getting ever more demanding. Look what happened with The Last Jedi. If they abandon the original formula you could argue there's no point to any of it. Obviously you can always argue the other side. Marvel are very good at making action films but people will always complain about their artistic merit.

It all boils down to the fact that continuing a franchise rather than doing an original story is an exercise in risk management. People who manage risk are less interested in doing fresh and interesting stuff than they are in making a few bob. Sometimes these two things overlap but it seems to be rarer and rarer. Anyone who's been to the cinema a few dozen times in the last decade can see that. I enjoyed Avengers Endgame but it was basically a time heist film and everyone knew the baddies would lose by the end of the film.

When I so to see Star Wars I'm hoping for a decent film (Rogue One) but all I'm really expecting is a mild nostalgia hit and a few lasers (Solo).

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2019, 01:43:41 PM
What even is a jedi

It's a kind of turnip.

Their other idea, which I liked, was Luke and Palpatine being re-embodied through the Force and having a final battle representing the Light and Dark Sides respectively. Maybe Kylo Ren is called upon to tip the balance, having been taken on as Palpatine's new apprentice, but he sacrifices himself and saves the day, leading the Force being dimmed for the next few generations.

They also suggest that, since the Death Star crashed on Endor and clearly would have wrecked the ecosystem, there could be Dark Side-corrupted post-apocalyptic Ewoks who worship Palpatine and eat each other or something.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 16, 2019, 01:47:15 PM
Look what happened with The Last Jedi.

The problem with The Last Jedi - in my opinion of course - wasn't that they tried something different, it's that it defined itself in opposition to expectations. Making it as defined by fan expectations as The Force Awakens, just in the opposite direction.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2019, 01:34:13 PM
To be fair to Disney, they handed the reins over entirely to an auteur with The Last Jedi, and it was utter muck.

So they took a risk. It didn't work out and they get crucified. Now see if they jump at the next chance to take that kind of risk. Can you imagine the shit that guy Rian Johnson took over that film? It's a fucking film. He took a fucking risk. He got hammered by dickheads.

I can understand why the executives just throw in the towel and give people the cops and robbers shit they want. Try something a bit different and if you don't triumph you'll catch heat.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 16, 2019, 01:52:07 PM
He took a fucking risk. He got hammered by dickheads.

See my post above. He didn't take any risks, he just made decisions based on short-circuiting expectations, which was an egotistical, petty and jarring way to go about making any film.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2019, 01:51:42 PM
The problem with The Last Jedi - in my opinion of course - wasn't that they tried something different, it's that it defined itself in opposition to expectations. Making it as defined by fan expectations as The Force Awakens, just in the opposite direction.

But you can see why someone might see the reaction it got as "Try something different, get pulverised", can't you?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 16, 2019, 01:53:25 PM
But you can see why someone might see the reaction it got as "Try something different, get pulverised", can't you?

Yes, absolutely. But there are smart risks and dumb risks, and most of the "risks" taken on TLJ were dumb ones.

Taking a risk isn't inherently laudable.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 16, 2019, 01:29:42 PM
Isn't "a little bit further" further than that?

No, it's like Asteroids. It just loops back around the other side.

Kelvin

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2019, 01:55:23 PM
Yes, absolutely. But there are smart risks and dumb risks, and most of the risks taken on TLJ were dumb ones.

I disagree. Last Jedis problem is the script and tone, rather than the ideas. If the newer, riskier elements had been executed more effectively, audiences would have bought into them more.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Kelvin on July 16, 2019, 01:56:43 PM
I disagree. Last Jedis problem is the script and tone, rather than the ideas. If the newer, riskier elements had been executed more effectively, audiences would have bought into them more.

Disagree. The problem as I saw it, was that it didn't have the courage of its convictions. Wanted to have its cake it eat it too. Teased out some potentially interesting developments and chickened out on all of them. In addition to all the things that just flat out didn't make sense. And the cringe-inducing attempts at Marvel-style humour. Awful film.

Edit - actually I don't entirely disagree. You say it didn't execute it's interesting ideas more effectively, but from my point of view, they didn't even attempt to execute them. They dangled interesting ideas, then snatched them back and returned to status quo by the end of the film.