Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:04:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Replies From View on April 13, 2019, 09:10:00 AM
If there isn't even a star war in this film I will feel mighty let down, let me assure you.

I think we've all heard that star war (singular) joke enough times now.

Dr Syntax Head

They're jumping on the Avengers bandwagon by killing all of the good guys. Boring.

Thursday

Not a good title, seems like it's responsive to reactions to the last film.

Blumf

Quote from: Thursday on April 13, 2019, 09:28:28 AM
Not a good title, seems like it's responsive to reactions to the last film.

Same as 'No one's really gone.' Desperate reassurance. All of your old favourites are in it, honest.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 13, 2019, 10:52:45 AM
Same as 'No one's really gone.' Desperate reassurance. All of your old favourites are in it, honest.

Oh look, there's Lando in that ship you like.  Luke's doing the voice over.  Leia's in this even though she's dead.  We've got the laugh from that villian who was in the best films we made too. Lazy.

Although not a big fan of TLJ, I admired Rian for shitting on the SW's legacy.

popcorn

Quote from: Blumf on April 13, 2019, 10:26:04 AM
They never did in the originals

Isn't it exciting to return to these characters and see them in very different circumstances? If I were making a Star Wars sequel that'd be the first thing I'd try to think of: how can I not set this one on the desert planet again? How can I make Rey look different? How can I make these characters, settings and films visually distinct?

mothman

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 13, 2019, 06:54:18 AM
Honestly, the man would try to stir up nostalgia for yesterday's breakfast if he could.

It was a very nice bacon bap, to be fair...

Glebe

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 13, 2019, 10:52:45 AM

It started with the ridiculous inclusion of R2D2 and C3PO in the prequels, explained by their having been programmed to forget everything before they met Luke.

Doing a backflip over the speeder is dumb because that is clearly physically impossible given how fast the speeder would be moving. Ok, they invented the ridiculous "Force-running-fast" in the prequels, but this still makes no sense.

D-

Quote from: Glebe on April 13, 2019, 01:44:56 AM
And bringing Palapine back... I dunno.

'oly shit! He's gone and built another death star!

greenman

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 13, 2019, 11:28:59 AM
Oh look, there's Lando in that ship you like.  Luke's doing the voice over.  Leia's in this even though she's dead.  We've got the laugh from that villian who was in the best films we made too. Lazy.

Although not a big fan of TLJ, I admired Rian for shitting on the SW's legacy.

I still suspect the biggest problem with TLJ is that Disney were far too conservative, unlike ESB that wasn't afraid to shift what kind of story Starwars could be TLJ ducks out of the idea of Luke moving beyond the Jedi position and isn't prepared to move beyond Rey as a bland "strong female character" meaning the whole story with Kylo goes nowhere.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 13, 2019, 03:59:37 PM
'oly shit! He's gone and built another death star!

'You've built another Death Star?  There's already been three.'

'May the fourth be with you!'

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's the second Death Star. JJ Abrams tried to set a scene in TFA there. And that's also where the remains of Palpatine would be found.

Replies From View

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 13, 2019, 09:16:06 AM

I think we've all heard that star war (singular) joke enough times now.

It wasn't a joke, and they keep making Star Wars films so it can keep going as well.

Replies From View

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 13, 2019, 07:07:42 PM
It was a joke and you were proud of it.

Okay well if they keep making Star Wars films they can put up with me constantly saying "star war (singular)".  It is a fair trade.

thraxx

Yaaaaaaaaaas, put a Palpatine in it, that'll sort the Franchise.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 13, 2019, 07:20:21 PM
Okay well if they keep making Star Wars films they can put up with me constantly saying "star war (singular)".  It is a fair trade.

Then it's also a fair trade if I come into your Doctor Who threads and continually refer to it as 'Doctors Who,' because there are multiple doctors and that's amusing.

Blumf

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 13, 2019, 06:22:35 PM
It's the second Death Star. JJ Abrams tried to set a scene in TFA there. And that's also where the remains of Palpatine would be found.

Does this mean we're going to get canon evidence of the Endore apocalypse? Lots of Ewok skeletons lying around.

Replies From View

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 13, 2019, 07:28:53 PM
Then it's also a fair trade if I come into your Doctor Who threads and continually refer to it as 'Doctors Who,' because there are multiple doctors and that's amusing.

If that would entertain you then go ahead.  You're patently misreading what I am doing but feel free to go your own way; it's fine.

mothman

Bit awkward, this, but... where is there a Death Star? In the trailer?

Glebe

So Snoke was a minion of Palapatine? They better not leave the whole Snoke think hanging.

BritishHobo

Disney have announced there'll be a bit of a hiatus after this while they think about the future of the franchise. Lots of discussion on Twitter going both ways. It feels like it shouldn't be a dramatic occurrence for a franchise to not have a film out every year.

Glebe

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 13, 2019, 09:44:14 PMDisney have announced there'll be a bit of a hiatus after this while they think about the future of the franchise. Lots of discussion on Twitter going both ways. It feels like it shouldn't be a dramatic occurrence for a franchise to not have a film out every year.

I imagine Solo's disappointing reception played a part in this... of course Disney will still have Marvel movies coming out of their ears for the foreseeable future.

Ferris

Palpatine is back? Oh dear. Sort of undercuts Vader's redemption and makes the ending of that film pointless. Why bother with any character permanence - why not bring back Vader? Or Han Solo? They shifted a lot of figurines after all.

State of this franchise. If I was a nerd, I'd be furious.

Dex Sawash