Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Has anyone said this will be fine yet?

This will be fine.

Dex Sawash

QDRPHNC

Shit. Fine. It's neither. And yet it's both.

Blumf

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2019, 01:58:54 PM
You say it didn't execute it's interesting ideas more effectively, but from my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

QDRPHNC

St_Eddie

The fundamental problem with The Last Jedi is the script.  It's atrocious; full of nonsensical character motivations; gaping great big plot holes and a boring and ultimately inconsequential plot.  Also, as QDRPHNC said - horrible and out of place Marvel style humour.  Also, yes, its obsession with subverting expectations, for no over reason than for the sake of doing so - even when it results in a deeply unsatisfying plot.  Many others have said this before but it bears repeating; The Last Jedi did subvert my expectations.  It subverted my expectations for a half decent movie.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that's where the majority of the criticism lays.  It's not "oh, they tried something different but we just wanted more of the same".  Bullcrap.  I don't care for how much Disney is mining nostalgia and repeating the same old shit (for all of the talk of The Last Jedi doing something different; it actually cribbed a lot of beats and scenes from the original trilogy - only it executed them less effectively).  I would have loved something different, if only it hadn't been written by a melon-headed idiot.

The Last Jedi is better than any of the original trilogy films.

(But this new one is going to be awful because JJ Abrams.)

QDRPHNC

Definitive ranking in terms of film quality:

Phantom Menace
The Last Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

Bad Ambassador

V, VIII, VII, IV, VI, S, RO, III, I, II.

Replies From View

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2019, 03:26:41 PM
It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Did anyone ever tell Lucas that not all poetry rhymes?

Or did he mean "It is like poetry and it rhymes"?  Why not just say "It rhymes"?

The other problem of course is that the Star Wars films don't rhyme.  Kind of like poetry that doesn't rhyme.

Best sequence in the franchise: podrace

Worst sequence in the franchise: Yoda lightsaber fight

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2019, 03:42:47 PM
Did anyone ever tell Lucas that not all poetry rhymes?

I believe that's the very reason why that clip is used, to highlight his lack of creative sophistication.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 16, 2019, 03:43:48 PM
Best sequence in the franchise: podrace

Worst sequence in the franchise: Yoda lightsaber fight

Noooooooo, the worst sequence is noooooooo.

Imagine being so divorced from, like, everything, that you don't realize a character going noooooooooooo has been a punchline for about 20 years and use it as the emotional climax of your multimillion dollar space trilogy.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2019, 03:45:40 PM

Imagine being so divorced from, like, everything, that you don't realize a character going noooooooooooo has been a punchline for about 20 years and use it as the emotional climax of your multimillion dollar space trilogy.

I consider that dialogue more than sequence. Eps II/III have such cosmically bad dialogue that it was clearly an elaborate Andy Kaufmanesque stunt and thus cannot be ranked

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2019, 03:45:40 PM

It was ace, what are you on about. Some contract FX monkeys were having the time of their life rendering that shite.

He went "NOOOOOO" for ages, it were class.

Blumf

mothman

Ninth and last film in the main sequence of a forty-three year franchise.   There's going to be massive expectations.  It's bound to fall a bit flat, isn't it?

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 16, 2019, 03:30:19 PM
The fundamental problem with The Last Jedi is the script.  It's atrocious; full of nonsensical character motivations; gaping great big plot holes and a boring and ultimately inconsequential plot.  Also, as QDRPHNC said - horrible and out of place Marvel style humour.  Also, yes, its obsession with subverting expectations, for no over reason than for the sake of doing so - even when it results in a deeply unsatisfying plot.  Many others have said this before but it bears repeating; The Last Jedi did subvert my expectations.  It subverted my expectations for a half decent movie.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that's where the majority of the criticism lays.  It's not "oh, they tried something different but we just wanted more of the same".  Bullcrap.  I don't care for how much Disney is mining nostalgia and repeating the same old shit (for all of the talk of The Last Jedi doing something different; it actually cribbed a lot of beats and scenes from the original trilogy - only it executed them less effectively).  I would have loved something different, if only it hadn't been written by a melon-headed idiot.

Maybe its giving Johnson too much credit but The Last Jedi to me really gives the impression of a script that's been massively fucked around with by the studio. You have the ideas that the dark/light divide maybe questionable and that Rey and Kylo might link up introduced but they largely amount to fuck all. It ends up being a very empty film spinning its wheels with inconsequential plot points before simply reverting to an even more simplified good/evil showdown than previously.

Indeed the whole last section of the salt planet feels like its been tacked onto the end of an altered script, throw in a reworked Hoth and a Jedi fight to send them home happy.

Zetetic

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 16, 2019, 02:04:14 PM
Has anyone said this will be fine yet?

This will be fine.
It'll be a fitting artefact, which is basically fine.

Apparently a flashback scene will try to explain/retcon one of the most baffling and unpopular moments in The Last Jedi.

Take it with a planet of salt, but I read...

In a scene set some time before the sequel trilogy, a digitally de-aged Luke trains a CGI Leia in the secrets of the force, with the implication being that's how she was able to breathe in space that time. I also read that Mark Hamill is fuming about the scene possibly being cut out, as the effects are sub par.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 16, 2019, 06:18:18 PM
Ninth and last film in the main sequence of a forty-three year franchise.   There's going to be massive expectations.  It's bound to fall a bit flat, isn't it?

Was anyone really considering it the big grand Star Wars finale until they started marketing it as such? They've just placed those expectations on themselves. Like how Fox was suddenly all 'look at what we've achieved in the last 20 years of X-Men!' when Dark Phoenix came out, as if we were suddenly treating it like an Endgame level event.

mothman

Don't see how it'll work. Don't recall any great fanfare about either previous trilogy concluding.

Replies From View

But they are going to continue them, no?  It'll go to 12, and then 15, and then forevermore.

St_Eddie

If Episode IX is anything over than complete garbage, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.  There's plenty of people in the same boat as me; people who have lost all faith in Disney to make decent a Star Wars movie.  So I would hardly say that expectations are high across the board.  If anything, Disney are in a position to garner positive reactions, just by virtue of creating something better than the total horseshit that was The Last Jedi.

Quote from: greenman on July 16, 2019, 06:31:44 PM
Maybe its giving Johnson too much credit but The Last Jedi to me really gives the impression of a script that's been massively fucked around with by the studio.

Possibly but there's no evidence to back up that suspicion.  By all accounts, if anything, it seems that Rian Johnson was handed an absurd amount of freedom on the movie.  Who knows though, ultimately.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 16, 2019, 10:02:22 PM
There's plenty of people in the same boat as me; people who have lost all faith in Disney to make decent a Star Wars movie.

Didn't people already lose hope in good new Star Wars films 20 years ago?  Why is there a trend now of saying that Disney invented Shit Star Wars?