Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:30:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

popcorn

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 25, 2019, 11:30:46 AM
And to think when the news broke of Disney taking it all away from Lucas I thought it was the best possible thing that could happen to the franchise.

NEVER thought I'd be taking that back...

That lasted about 3 seconds until I saw Abrams was writing and directing.

Blumf

Have they announced how big the new Death Star is going to be?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on August 25, 2019, 01:36:30 PM
That lasted about 3 seconds until I saw Abrams was writing and directing.

That bit was tempered/slightly off-set by the news that Lawrence Kasdan was back as well.

Again, I wasn't expecting to take that back either...

Kelvin

Quote from: Blumf on August 25, 2019, 01:44:52 PM

The next one is going to fill the entire galaxy, but with a tiny gap at its core for a Resistance planet to fit inside, so a big, fat laser can shoot them.

They'll also put a vent in the core that is the Galaxy Filling Ship's only weak point, and Leia will use the force to throw a bullet up it. 

greenman

Kasdan though was almost as far removed from any good work as Lucas.

BritishHobo

Star Wars just makes me think I'd rather a creator gets to mire his own creation in mad self-indulgent bollocks than it be fenced off and responsibility given to some other blokes to guide it in a safe and boring way as a carbonite-frozen franchise. Sure everyone despised the prequel trilogy to the point of tedium, but at least it was Lucas doing whatever the fuck he wanted to do. Fuck it; let him. It was his universe. He invented all the wookies and the gremlings and whatever. He can make up a shit alien called Jar Jar Binks and wank on about trade federations if he wants. Rather that than all this Disney universe-building.

I think I've just been feeling a bit claustrophobic about Disney+ this week. And it's not even a snobby thing. I think about how many young filmmakers there are out there with new visions, like George Lucas was back when he created A New Hope, so many new stories out there to tell, and then Disney are just pouring all their money into telling more boring stories in all the universes they've bought.

Glebe

New footage descriptions apparently show Rey wielding a double-edged, red lightsaber so that means she's a baddie but it prolly won't really be.

peanutbutter

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 25, 2019, 09:27:32 PM
I think I've just been feeling a bit claustrophobic about Disney+ this week. And it's not even a snobby thing. I think about how many young filmmakers there are out there with new visions, like George Lucas was back when he created A New Hope, so many new stories out there to tell, and then Disney are just pouring all their money into telling more boring stories in all the universes they've bought.
I don't see why this defence has to be made. Ultimately when most people feel negative about Disney, it's gonna be about the horrific way they churn out slightly different blends of "quite good" and how it's always more about pushing the next thing than making the current thing fulfilling.

Part of me does think this whole Disney+ thing has the potential to... not quite bite Disney on the ass alone, but bite the whole industry including Disney.

JamesTC

Quote from: Blumf on August 25, 2019, 01:44:52 PM

Same size as the original but there will be nine of the fuckers.

Thursday

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 25, 2019, 09:27:32 PM
Star Wars just makes me think I'd rather a creator gets to mire his own creation in mad self-indulgent bollocks than it be fenced off and responsibility given to some other blokes to guide it in a safe and boring way as a carbonite-frozen franchise. Sure everyone despised the prequel trilogy to the point of tedium, but at least it was Lucas doing whatever the fuck he wanted to do. Fuck it; let him. It was his universe. He invented all the wookies and the gremlings and whatever. He can make up a shit alien called Jar Jar Binks and wank on about trade federations if he wants. Rather that than all this Disney universe-building.

It's weird, I've quite liked the sequels, a lot more than the prequels, but I do find this "rehabilitation" of Disney in recent years, a bit odd, people just seem to fucking love and support them in everything they do. Not really been much dissent about them having such a monopoly or much consideration to the fact that what they do is so focused grouped to appeal to everyone.

bgmnts

Baffling isn't it? Lends a lot of credence to the bleak theory that deep down everyone craves being told what to do.

greenman

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 25, 2019, 11:36:34 PM
I don't see why this defence has to be made. Ultimately when most people feel negative about Disney, it's gonna be about the horrific way they churn out slightly different blends of "quite good" and how it's always more about pushing the next thing than making the current thing fulfilling.

Part of me does think this whole Disney+ thing has the potential to... not quite bite Disney on the ass alone, but bite the whole industry including Disney.

Really though I think you see the main basis of their success is just being smarter their than rivals, knowing when bland "ok" will sell(such as the remakes of their classic animations) and knowing when something a little more ambitious(by blockbuster standards anyway) is needed.

Starwars seems like the main property they've misjudged though playing to a more casual nostalgia and superficial wokeness rather too much in the sequels in place of anything of substance.

Probably the biggest negative is that as the dominant studio they show little or no interest in mid budget cinema.

Shaky

Quote from: Glebe on August 25, 2019, 11:25:30 PM
New footage descriptions apparently show Rey wielding a double-edged, red lightsaber so that means she's a baddie but it prolly won't really be.

If they went anywhere near that path I'd be quite impressed, but it'll simply be a mirror of Luke's journey in ROTJ.

Ferris

Quote from: Shaky on August 26, 2019, 05:25:44 AM
If they went anywhere near that path I'd be quite impressed, but it'll simply be a mirror of Luke's journey in ROTJ.

Yup.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Shaky on August 26, 2019, 05:25:44 AM

That film was ok

idunnosomename

motherfucking red lightsaber that motherfucking folds in motherfucking half. motherfucking YAS, bitches. he;ll yeah disney.

Thursday

Hmm... must admit, I'd quite like Dark Rey to kill me.

phantom_power

Quote from: bgmnts on August 26, 2019, 12:25:23 AM
Baffling isn't it? Lends a lot of credence to the bleak theory that deep down everyone craves being told what to do.

Or they just like a bit of easy, comfortable entertainment sometimes

mothman

Quote from: Thursday on August 26, 2019, 02:18:51 PM
Hmm... must admit, I'd quite like Dark Rey to kill me.

They've all gone Dark and wanting to kill me by the time

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 26, 2019, 02:12:27 PM
motherfucking red lightsaber that motherfucking folds in motherfucking half. motherfucking YAS, bitches. he;ll yeah disney.
IT BROKE NEW GROUND

Dr Rock

In the new trailer there's a shot of Leia, which must be one of the ones using old footage. You can tell because the lighting is from an indoor set, but they've stuck her outdoors now.

kalowski

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 27, 2019, 10:07:18 AM
In the new trailer there's a shot of Leia, which must be one of the ones using old footage. You can tell because the lighting is from an indoor set, but they've stuck her outdoors now.
I could tell because Carrie Fisher died.

popcorn

There's something fatiguing about being sold every new film with all the editing and music screaming "This is it. This is the ultimate, most epic, most definitive, most final Star Wars."

Shaky

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 27, 2019, 10:07:18 AM

All the footage of Leia in this next one is old. Fisher didn't manage to film anything new.

Dr Rock

QDRPHNC

That new lightsaber really is representative of everything wrong with star wars these days.

Right, what are we going to do with this one?
A double light saber th
No, they did that in episode 1
A double light that folds I was going to say
Nice

popcorn

Why don't they just do a proper new Star Wars film with lightsabers etc.

You should have just took an existing product and put a clock in it.