Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:41:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 20, 2019, 10:17:17 AM

Was Einstein famous for putting wireless microphones in his pocket?  What a weird reference.

It's quite annoying because that's really well made - a lot of time and love has gone into it, and it looks great and the animation is brilliant for an amateur effort - but it's just not been worth the effort, has it.

idunnosomename

STAR wars it's time for STAR wars dah dah STAR WARS wars in the STARS

Dex Sawash

I forgot to watch monday night football to see new trailer.

idunnosomename

do you remember the throne room from Jedi

ITS COMIN BACK!!!! ALSO Y-WINGS!!!!!

Dex Sawash

popcorn

Don't think it's possible for me to give an ounce of a shit of a trailer for Star Wars no more. And to think I was a bit hyped for the first one. The first new one I mean.

Dex Sawash

The Force Awakens was decent but they really ruined everything with that boring second one where they're all stuck in the spaceship that can't move.

Kelvin

Trailer looks alright, better than the last one. I'm sick to fucking death of Star Wars, though. I'm starting to actually hate it and it's lack of new ideas/new iconography. Death Stars, Star Destroyers, we've seen it all before so many hundreds of times now.

I'd like to watch all of Star Wars please, in advance of seeing  this new one. Is it actually on any of the legal streaming services, or has it been removed in preparation for the Disney Plus service? I can't torrent stuff, but I'd sign up to Amazon Prime or whatever for a month for this. I like the "OT" and I'd happily give them another spin. It sounds like the new film will allude to all the movies, but I've never seen episodes II or III. I don't have to include the four (!) Disney ones in this marathon.

Glebe

'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' to Overtake 'Last Jedi' as the Longest 'Star Wars' Movie.

QuoteThe Rise of Skywalker – 2 hours, 35 minutes
The Last Jedi – 2 hours, 32 minutes
Attack of the Clones – 2 hours, 22 minutes
Revenge of the Sith – 2 hours, 20 minutes
The Force Awakens – 2 hours, 15 minutes
The Phantom Menace – 2 hours, 13 minutes
Return of the Jedi – 2 hours, 12 minutes
The Empire Strikes Back – 2 hours, 4 minutes
Star Wars – 2 hours, 1 minute

So the three shortest Star Wars films are the original three good ones. For Generation Zedennials, 2 hours 4 minutes would be an unthinkable length for a hyped-up blockbuster sequel. They really throw everything at the wall these days.

idunnosomename

fuckin hell just sit through Das Rheingold kids

oh on second thoughts dont you might come out as white nationalists

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on October 22, 2019, 05:10:38 PM
Trailer looks alright, better than the last one. I'm sick to fucking death of Star Wars, though. I'm starting to actually hate it and it's lack of new ideas/new iconography. Death Stars, Star Destroyers, we've seen it all before so many hundreds of times now.

YEAH MUCH LIKE THIS POST FROM YOU. YEAH CHEERS. BYE

BritishHobo

Quote from: Kelvin on October 22, 2019, 05:10:38 PM

I've never really liked it in the first place so it probably doesn't mean anything from me, but fucking hell have Disney made it boring. I was reading about George Lucas' ideas for this sequel trilogy, which everyone was sniggering about. A load of guff about going into a micro-world and seeing all the midichlorians which control everything. It sounds fucking gash, but at least it's HIS. At least it's a unique idea that the creator is passionate about, rather than this 'do the same old shit' SHIT

Dex Sawash

popcorn

I don't think it's the fact that it's yet more lightsaber battles and X-wings that bothers me. That's the visual language of Star Wars, that's fine. It's the lack of dramatic stakes.

I don't think Last Jedi as anywhere near as bad as some people make out, but I think it was confused, and above all it managed to defuse pretty much every dramatic tension, leaving nothing to be excited about for the sequel.

For me, the interesting bit of the new films is the relationship between Rey and Ren, and the potential ambiguity they bring to the light/dark side spectrum. They really ought to have ended Last Jedi with Rey and Ren having just killed the emperor together, leaving them, potentially, king and queen of the evil empire - that would be a cliffhanger that would get me clicking on the trailer for the new film with real hunger. Instead, she immediately fucks off back to her Alliance mates and everything is just back to normal, reset. (edit: I see I already said this a few pages ago, sorry, my memory is a sieve of shit.)

The characters no longer seem to be on any sort of journey. Instead they are apparently consigned to having all-purpose swashbuckling lightsaber adventures for the rest of time.

popcorn

Oh yeah, and as I keep saying, the whole thing isn't helped by there being no threat of Rey turning to the dark side whatsoever. Not with that cheery Oxbridge lass in the role.

Jim Bob

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 24, 2019, 12:09:24 PM
I've never really liked it in the first place so it probably doesn't mean anything from me, but fucking hell have Disney made it boring. I was reading about George Lucas' ideas for this sequel trilogy, which everyone was sniggering about. A load of guff about going into a micro-world and seeing all the midichlorians which control everything. It sounds fucking gash, but at least it's HIS. At least it's a unique idea that the creator is passionate about, rather than this 'do the same old shit' SHIT

Agreed.  I'd take whatever silly nonsense Lucas had in mind over the soulless and cynical regurgitation that Disney spewed out, any day of the week.

There's so many worthwhile and original paths that Disney could have taken the sequel trilogy in.  For example; what happens when the rebellion becomes the establishment and are in a position to enforce their authoritative beliefs upon everyone else?

There's a lot of interesting concepts to explore in such a narrative; not least of all, the thin line that exists between good and evil and how easily power can corrupt pure intentions (you know; the core themes of Star Wars).  They could have had protagonists within this New Republic, slowly coming to realise that they're enforcing the laws of a dictatorship and eventually fighting back against the very system and ideologies that they once enforced and stood for. All the while, feeling conflicted with having to fight against their former friends, who have chosen to remain within the New Republic.  It's just one idea off the top of my head.

However, instead Disney just decided to coast on nostalgia by pressing the big old reset button and making a shitty xerox of the original trilogy.

idunnosomename

i do not intend to see this film but i cannot wait to see how shit it is

Jim Bob

There was a leaked plot synopsis a few months ago, which has now pretty much been confirmed by the recent trailer.  Here's the plot of The Rise of Skywalker, for anyone who cares (spoliers, obviously)...

Quote from: leaked plot
* We will be getting young Luke and Leia flashbacks in TROS. One in particular appears to be the opening of the movie no less. We begin the action by seeing one of, if not the final training lesson between Luke and Leia. Leia is giving up her Jedi training due to the fact that she's pregnant with a son. My source on this mentioned a fight, so I believe that we may be getting Leia and Luke in a lightsaber duel toward the beginning of the film.

* Picking up in the current point in the timeline. Leia appears to have taken up the mantel of Jedi mentor to Rey in the wake of Luke's passing.

* Early on in the film, we catch up with Kylo's story where he is "slaughtering" people with the purpose of tracking down one of the film's McGuffins, a device known as the "wayfinder".  I'm told that the clip of Kylo body slamming someone into the floor of a forest bathed in red light seen in the teaser. I'm also told that this planet is called "Exogol" (don't quote me on the spelling).

* Kylo obtains the wayfinder from "The Oracle" and finds it to contain coordinates to a point in the Unknown Regions. The wayfinder that Kylo is given once belonged to his Grandfather.  Using the coordinates found within the wayfinder device, Kylo arrives in the Unknown Regions. Here, Kylo encounters Emperor Palpatine. How Palpatine is still alive and how he ended up in the Unknown Regions is still a mystery to me that I hope to learn more about in the next few months (Note: Daisy Ridley recently said in an interview that it's explained in the film), but my source on this tells me that this is indeed Palpatine in the flesh. Kylo and Palpatine's conversation apparently centers around ordering Kylo to find Rey and bring her to the Emperor with the goal of turning her to the dark side.

Note: It's not lost on me that this part of the story feels very Return of the Jedi inspired, but we'll just crack on and see how this all pans out.

* My source specifically mentioned that Palpatine is very old and decrepit at this point, possibly on the verge of death. His goal in luring Kylo to him and converting Rey to darkness is more or less to have Rey and Kylo inherit his "new Empire" and for them to rule it together.  In order to facilitate bringing about this "new Empire", Palpatine has spent his 30 years of PTO creating a fleet of "Death Star Destroyers" (Note: I don't know if this is their actual name or not. Personally, I hope not, it's bit on the nose) which appear to be exactly what they sound like; Star Destroyers with Death Star tech mounted on them, giving them the capability to destroy a planet. (Note: Apparently once this particular technology was unleashed 30 some odd years ago, that Pandora's box can't be shut again). According to my source, these star destroyers make up the "Sith Fleet" that house the new red Sith Troopers that were showcased at SDCC in July.  These Star Destroyers are hiding in the Unknown Regions.

* Apparently we catch up with Finn and Poe returning to the jungle planet depicted in some of the behind the scenes images shown at Celebration. The duo has been in contact with an informant from within the First Order. The mole has told Finn and Poe about Kylo coming into possession of the "wayfinder".

Note: It's unclear to me if anyone in the Resistance understands what the "wayfinder" is or where it leads. They just want to find it.

* Poe and Finn tell Leia about this and she sends Rey, Chewbacca, C-3PO and the other droids to accompany them on the mission. In order to get them going on their quest, Leia puts them in contact with someone on Pasaana (The desert planet, filmed in Jordan).

* It's at this point in the story where the Resistance team makes their way to the desert planet seen in the teaser and behind the scenes footage. It's revealed that Leia's contact is Lando Calrissian. Lando points them toward another one of our McGuffins, a "Sith artifact" that apparently turns out to be a dagger. This dagger has some sort of writing on it that 3PO can't decipher.

Note: My source understands this to be a "Sith language". That description is pretty vague for me, but the key point is sound. Heroes find dagger, dagger has writing on it that 3PO can't read.

* It's during our heroes time on Passana that Kylo initiates a Force mind link between himself and Rey. Through their connection Kylo discovers where Rey and the Resistance crew are and leaves to pursue them. Eventually Kylo and the Knights of Ren arrive and begin to attack our heroes. One thing leads to another and the Resistance crew gets outnumbered and they are forced to make their escape on an old ship leaving the Millennium Falcon behind. Kylo recovers the Falcon and takes it back to his Star Destroyer.

* 3PO is confronted with a challenge he is not equipped to handle. The artifact found on Passana contains a language that 3PO can't translate without modifications. In order to modify 3POs programming, Poe brings the team to the wintery planet seen in the teaser (Kijimi per the Vanity Fair article). There C-3PO is modified to allow translation of the artifact. I'm told that the modification is done by a small alien. Once translatable the dagger supposedly reveals information regarding a second wayfinder, this one having belonged to Emperor Palpatine himself, leading the team to journey to the forest moon of Endor.

Note: My sources tell me that the scene from the First Look reel showing 3PO with red eyes connects to this event. The Red eyes are part of the "hack" that allows him to translate the "Sith language".

* During the events leading to the modification of 3PO on the wintery planet, Kylo initiates another Force connection between he and Rey. Kylo supposedly uses this as an opportunity to begin forcing Rey down the path of darkness. He does this by antagonizing Rey. Kylo tells her that he knows about the dagger and what it was once used for. Kylo apparently tells her that this dagger was used to murder Rey's parents. Kylo maintains that her parents are nobodies in the grand story. This angers Rey and she lashes out at Kylo and a lightsaber duel ensues. Rey is on Kijimi and Kylo is on his Star Destroyer. Ren keeps the link alive long enough to learn Rey's location and eventually peruses her in his Star Destroyer like before.

* The bounty hunter Zori Bliss (played by Keri Russell) is introduced sometime during their time on this planet. My sources told me that she has history with Poe. What this history may be is still a mystery to me right now.

* Once Kylo arrives, our gang of heroes decide to sneak aboard and attempt to recover the Falcon prior to leaving. The rescue plan goes awry and the whole group gets captured by the First Order. It's at this point that two major things happen:

It's revealed that Hux is the First Order mole that has been feeding the Resistance information and he allows the heroes to escape while Kylo is distracted by dueling with Rey in person.

During this duel, Kylo adds another wrinkle to Rey's backstory. He maintains that while her parents are nobodies, her grandparents (more specifically her grandfather) wasn't. Kylo tells Rey that she is the granddaughter of Papatine. This explains his interest in bringing the random nobody from Jakku into the fold. The crew recovers the Falcon, Rey reconnects with them and they all flee.

* Following her battle aboard the Star Destroyer and escape on the Falcon. Rey uses the newly gleaned information resulting from 3POs modifications and the translation of the dagger to travel to Endor. At this time, it's a little unclear to me how Kylo gets from point A to point B, but supposedly he is waiting for Rey in Palpatine's throne room aboard the wreckage of the second Death Star.

Naturally, they fight. The specifics of this duel are unknown to me, but what I have been told about it is that it's at this point when Rey begins to tap into some hatred to gain the upper hand and eventually defeats Kylo (Note: possibly destroying his lightsaber in the process, but that's more rumor than leak at the moment), leaving him for dead on the wreckage of the Death Star. Rey takes possession of Palpatine's wayfinder and leaves.

* My sources tell me that the "Dark Rey" moment seen in the D23 footage is in fact a vision (described to me as thematically similar to Luke seeing himself as Vader in the cave on Dagobah). This apparently is a short sequence that happens right after Rey picks up Palpatine's wayfinder.

* While lying in the wreckage of the Death Star weakened state Kylo Ren reportedly sees a vision of his father. (Note: It's unclear to me if Han appears as a bona fide ghost or just through the magic of injury induced hallucinations, but this interaction supposedly acts as Kylo's "come to Jesus" moment.) Han tells Kylo that it's never too late to change and when he leaves Endor, he leaves not as Kylo Ren, but as Ben Solo.

* This duel is a critical tipping point for Rey as well. I'm told that in the wake of her confrontation with Kylo, she takes the wayfinder and flees to Ahch-to to collect her thoughts. Her mindset is reportedly mirror Luke's while he was there prior to and during the events of The Last Jedi. The vision of a possible dark future for herself in conjunction fact that she nearly killed Kylo scared Rey in the same way that considering killing Ben in his sleep scared Luke many years prior. She feared the path she was headed down and decides to swear off the Jedi, exiling herself on Ahch-to.

Rey scuttles the ship she used to get there just like Luke once did and she caps it all off by casting Anakin's reconstructed lightsaber toward her ship. Just when it looks like the Jedi Order is going to end (again), the specter of Luke Skywalker appears to Rey, holding her discarded lightsaber and does what all good Force ghosts do; gives our hero the resolve to do what needs to be done. Finish the work Luke began over 30 years earlier and put an end to the Emperor for good. According to my source, Luke passes on Leia's lightsaber to Rey.

Note: I don't know where it came from, where it's been all this time, or how Luke is able to give it to Rey, but what I can tell you (with only about 50% confidence at this point) is that Leia's blade is supposedly blue. Bolstered by her conversation with Luke, Rey takes Leia's lightsaber, transmits the location of the Sith fleet to the Resistance before heading out herself.

* On the subject of Force ghosts, Luke makes another appearance around the time of Rey and Kylo's crises of faith. Back at the main Resistance base, Leia is on her deathbed. My source describes it to me like Yoda's death in Return if the Jedi, nothing bad happened, it was just her time to go. Luke has come to says goodbye, but before it all ends for Leia, he has one final lesson for her...

* Rey leaves Ahch-to and travels to the Sith fleet in the Unknown Regions. Eventually the Resistance fleet arrives and battle ensues. Somehow, Rey finds her way to The Emperor who has been waiting for her. Palpatine confirms that what Kylo told her was true. Apparently after his defeat at DSII, Palpatine was shaken by the fact that he wasn't able to maintain his hold on Vader or seduce Luke to the darkness due to their familial bond.

During the course of their conversation Palpatine makes reference to this bond between Vader and Luke and likens it to his bond with Rey hoping that whatever familial connection they have will be enough to win her over and become as strong as that of the Skywalkers.

Note: What my source described next feels very reminiscent of RotJ. Rey is trapped in The Emperor's throne room, watching two opposing fleets battle while she is helplessly gazes onward. It's at this point that Kylo/Ben reappears. Ben and Rey join forces and begin attacking Palpatine. Leia's lightsaber comes back into play when Rey and Kylo share the Skywalker lightsabers throughout their fight. At some point the Emperor overpowers them both and supposedly kills Ben. (Note: there have been reports from other reputable leakers that Kylo kind of/sort of dies, but my source on this seemed pretty unambiguous. Personally, I think we'll just have to wait and see what we learn over the next few months.)

When it looks like all Hope is lost, the ghosts of Luke and Leia show up to aid Rey. Together they overpower the Emperor and end his darkness once and for all.

* As for what the other members of the Resistance are doing at this point, they are engaged in a space battle against Palpatine's fleet lead by General Pryde (played by Richard E Grant). The Resistance's goal is supposedly to take out the flagship, severing communications and making navigation out of the Unknown Regions impossible. The flagship is destroyed around the same time that the Emperor dies.

* The last thing I was told is regarding the final sequence of the film. I don't why, but our heroes travel to Tatooine. During these scenes, it is supposedly revealed that Rey has cannibalized Anakin/Luke's lightsaber and Leia's to make one of her own that supposedly has a yellow/gold blade. She buries the leftover pieces on the grounds of the former Lars homestead. The final shots of the Skywalker saga allegedly echo how the adventure began in '77, our heroes gazing at the horizon dreaming of the future as twin suns set in the distance.

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 24, 2019, 01:45:55 PM
i do not intend to see this film but i cannot wait to see how shit it is

I will never pay money to see it, but I will watch a shitty CAM copy because I too am excited to see just how shit it will be.  I'll give the sequel trilogy this much; it's been great fun to pick apart and poke fun at.  I love a good train wreck.

Alberon

Jim Bob

Disney are up to their old tricks again.  The Rise of Skywalker isn't tracking well and so, like Captain Marvel before it, Disney are suspected of buying tickets for screenings of Episode IX, in order to give people the perception of popularity, encourage hype and increase genuine pre-screening bookings.

Quote from: Alberon on October 25, 2019, 10:41:39 PM
Deepfake George Lucas reviews the latest trailer.

https://youtu.be/_MuxVqB3I7E

Superb.

Mister Six

That plot summary sounds awful. About halfway through is where The Last Jedi should have ended. You really can't make these trilogies up as you go along. Not without at least a vague roadmap.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Jim Bob on October 26, 2019, 05:48:06 PM
Disney are up to their old tricks again.  The Rise of Skywalker isn't tracking well and so, like Captain Marvel before it, Disney are suspected of buying tickets for screenings of Episode IX, in order to give people the perception of popularity, encourage hype and increase genuine pre-screening bookings.

Superb.

I bought tickets. Fuck Disney, they can't buy them all.

Blumf

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 27, 2019, 01:47:08 AM
I bought tickets. Fuck Disney, they can't buy them all.

Now you just need to put up a video of you burning the tickets and flushing the ashes down the toilet, to really show Disney how mad you are.

I finally watched Episodes 2 and 3 yesterday. Fucking hell lads.

Alberon

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 28, 2019, 04:05:40 PM
I finally watched Episodes 2 and 3 yesterday. Fucking hell lads.

Yeah, I know. They're great, aren't they?