Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars ep IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Started by mothman, April 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just realised Darth Maul is probably going to rock up.

Ghosts of Darth Vadar and Grand Moff Tarkin?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 13, 2019, 09:55:40 PM
Palpatine is back? Oh dear. Sort of undercuts Vader's redemption and makes the ending of that film pointless. Why bother with any character permanence - why not bring back Vader? Or Han Solo? They shifted a lot of figurines after all.

State of this franchise. If I was a nerd, I'd be furious.

Bringing back a character doesn't necessarily means they're alive. I'm thinking in the Force Ghost lines.

Hey, Punk!

I hope they don't make her a Skywalker, I hate it when the hero discovers they were great because of their ancestry. It'll be watchable at least, though.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 13, 2019, 09:55:43 PM

Woah, I was just joking before about there being another death star but fucks sake they've brought it back again!

The Force Awakens was the worst Star Wars and JJ Abrams is shit.

mothman

That's a bit of Death Star? Really? I thought it was an island like the one with the ancient Jedi temple on. In fact... oh, bugger, my daughter said it was a bit of Death Star and I told her it was the island. Shit. I can never take her to see this now, and must ensure she never ever sees it. I'll have to change my will - "No dosh if you ever see Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker."

Quote from: Blumf on April 13, 2019, 08:43:14 PM
Does this mean we're going to get canon evidence of the Endore apocalypse? Lots of Ewok skeletons lying around.

He's damned either way. Especially in the eyes of all those who'll say, "Oh, sure, reference some online meme when you had a whole Expanded Universe to play with."

Plus - shit - this means there'll be Ewoks. Some of the furry little fucks will have survived, I bet you. And they'll be well pissed off. Maybe they'll exposition it away. "Oh, no, it;s fine, when the scale of the ecological catastrophe became clear, the New Republic evacuated the whole population... To, er, one of the world that Starkiller Base scragged. Oops."

samadriel

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 13, 2019, 03:55:51 PM
Doing a backflip over the speeder is dumb because that is clearly physically impossible given how fast the speeder would be moving. Ok, they invented the ridiculous "Force-running-fast" in the prequels, but this still makes no sense.

D-

I reckon that whole Daisy-standing-in-the-desert bit won't be in the movie.  Does it seem a bit stupid to anyone else that she's just standing out there doing nothing, and then Kylo Ren shows up in that thing and without any further ado tries ramming her?  That whole scene just seems like concept art to try and get the idea of the movie across.

surreal

Quote from: samadriel on April 14, 2019, 06:47:19 AM
I reckon that whole Daisy-standing-in-the-desert bit won't be in the movie.  Does it seem a bit stupid to anyone else that she's just standing out there doing nothing, and then Kylo Ren shows up in that thing and without any further ado tries ramming her?  That whole scene just seems like concept art to try and get the idea of the movie across.

I suspected that was him (or someone) training her - surely he'd have shot at her if they weren't allied.

Also suspect the Death Star remnant will be linked to Palpatine turning up as that is where he was chucked down the shaft

Shaky

Quote from: samadriel on April 14, 2019, 06:47:19 AM

It struck me as a standoff a la Kylo and Luke in the last one. I'm sure there's a reason for them being there like that, even if it is a crap one.

Well I stand by the idea that Rey is a survivor of Luke's academy, even if this is something that has not been vocally acknowledged by Luke or Kylo thus far.

Kylo dumped her on Jakku because he couldn't bring himself to kill a small child. He used his psychic powers (which we have seen him use before) to wipe Rey's memory. In this film, Rey goes back to Jakku on a journey of self-discovery. Kylo knows exactly where to find her, because he is the one who left her there.

That's my theory. Always has been.

surreal

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 14, 2019, 08:14:07 AM
Well I stand by the idea that Rey is a survivor of Luke's academy, even if this is something that has not been vocally acknowledged by Luke or Kylo thus far.

Kylo dumped her on Jakku because he couldn't bring himself to kill a small child. He used his psychic powers (which we have seen him use before) to wipe Rey's memory. In this film, Rey goes back to Jakku on a journey of self-discovery. Kylo knows exactly where to find her, because he is the one who left her there.

That's my theory. Always has been.

I was watching this today, which is a really interesting idea but clearly way to clever and deep for a bunch of movie writers to end up with - Rey is a sleeper agent for the Empire / First Order:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v89GEy4chm4

It does make you consider the new trilogy in a new light though, which is good...

Blumf

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 13, 2019, 10:26:29 PM
Ghosts of Darth Vadar and Grand Moff Tarkin?

That one fleet admiral who dissed The Force and got choked by Vader.

Phil_A

I have a horrible feeling this is just going to be two and a bit hours of undoing everything of significance that happened in the last movie.

It wasn't my favourite Star War by a long way and had a lot of problems, but the worst thing they could do be would be to shamelessly capitulate to the angry fan backlash.

"All that stuff you didn't like? It's gone now. All gone. Shhhh."

Replies From View

I hope the whole film ends up inexplicably setting up the events of Episode IV again.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 14, 2019, 11:33:25 AM
I hope the whole film ends up inexplicably setting up the events of Episode IV again.

The CGI cartoon series Rebels brought time-travel into the Star Wars universe. So, you never know.

Quote from: Blumf on April 14, 2019, 10:37:58 AM
That one fleet admiral who dissed The Force and got choked by Vader.

Are you talking about Michael Sheard being choked by telepathy, in Empire Strikes Back (though not to a collective cheer from Grange Hill viewers, as he had not yet become Mr Bronson)?   Vadar also broke an empire officer's neck with his hands, after Princess Leia got away, in the original film.

Kelvin

Quote from: Phil_A on April 14, 2019, 11:16:20 AM
I have a horrible feeling this is just going to be two and a bit hours of undoing everything of significance that happened in the last movie.

It wasn't my favourite Star War by a long way and had a lot of problems, but the worst thing they could do be would be to shamelessly capitulate to the angry fan backlash.

Yes, same here. TLJ has many significant issues, but I like it more than Force Awakens in retrospect, and at the very least, it's a more interesting and ambitious film.

I liked that Rey's parents weren't the important figures the fandom had convinced themselves they were. I liked that the good guy's failed at every turn. I liked that Kylo killed Snoke, but remained on the dark side. I like the fact Luke had given up on the Jedis. I liked the way it reversed a lot of the traditional themes from the series. I dont want to now watch a film that undoes or ignores all of that.

Replies From View

I just want it to be a film that displeases almost everyone.

How does the old saying go...

You can't please all the people all of the time,
But you can piss them all off easily, so you may as well do that.

There's going to be such expectations hinging on it, I don't know how it can't cheese off much of its audience.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Kelvin on April 14, 2019, 12:22:29 PM
I liked that Rey's parents weren't the important figures the fandom had convinced themselves they were. I liked that the good guy's failed at every turn. I liked that Kylo killed Snoke, but remained on the dark side. I like the fact Luke had given up on the Jedis. I liked the way it reversed a lot of the traditional themes from the series. I dont want to now watch a film that undoes or ignores all of that.

Exactly why I liked the film so much.

Dr Syntax Head

I reckon boba fett finds a way out of that pit

colacentral

Quote from: Phil_A on April 14, 2019, 11:16:20 AM

That's Abrams for you, coasting on a career of being as broad and conservative as possible.

I don't know what they expected with these films, knocking them out this fast. The original six had three year gaps, and as bad as the prequels are, all six films have unique elements, memorable characters and settings (albeit for the wrong reasons sometimes). These are coming out every two years, and Abrams only came back after VIII came out, meaning the whole production from script to release will be less than two years. Madness.

Star Wars feels like it's where Star Trek was 15 years ago, the franchise just churning out crap and spinning its wheels because the fans will watch it regardless.

buzby

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 13, 2019, 06:22:35 PM
It's the second Death Star. JJ Abrams tried to set a scene in TFA there. And that's also where the remains of Palpatine would be found.
He was thrown into a fusion reactor - what are they going to find, his atoms?

On top of that....

The 2nd Death Star was lirerally blown to smithereens. There's no way any piece of debris of the surface that big survived.

samadriel

Quote from: Kelvin on April 14, 2019, 12:22:29 PM

Me three, but I don't really trust JJ Abrams not to go immediately for the most obvious, pandering option.

alan nagsworth

That teaser would have been loads better if it was soundtracked by Toto's "Africa" and has loads of Blingee animated gifs sparkling all over it.

Replies From View

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 14, 2019, 01:25:13 PM
That teaser would have been loads better if it was soundtracked by Toto's "Africa" and has loads of Blingee animated gifs sparkling all over it.

Or the Thomas the Tank Engine theme tune.

idunnosomename

Quote from: buzby on April 14, 2019, 01:06:11 PM
He was thrown into a fusion reactor - what are they going to find, his atoms?

On top of that....The 2nd Death Star was lirerally blown to smithereens. There's no way any piece of debris of the surface that big survived.

They just need to write it in the screenplay that it did. and also palpatine survived in the reactor shaft in a forcebubble, feeding off evil and hatred of his betrayal. And hes behind everything. ANd its up to the gang to take him out for good!

This fiction lark eh! You just make shit up. Come on Disney gizzajob

Replies From View

Or it could just be a child in a "palpating" mask (because it was written wrong on the storage box so that's what he keeps calling it).

And all the main characters are like aaaaaargh it's Palpatine and in the final scene this kid is going "hello I am Palpating, I have been your host for today" like he doesn't even know he is in a film.

Operty1

On top of that....The 2nd Death Star was lirerally blown to smithereens. There's no way any piece of debris of the surface that big survived.

[/quote]

You're just looking at the explosion at the front of the Death Star, all the big bits are behind that smoke.