Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BloodBorne Re:Borne 2: Bellectric Bloodaloo

Started by Hank Venture, April 12, 2019, 11:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Venture

Hiya my fellow computer freaks and tech heads.

With the release of Sekiro I finally got around to starting BB, and I see that I'm not the only one.
I'll be posting more here later, just thought I'd start the thread.

Happy hunting.

Fishfinger

"Wondrous nightmare." Looking forward to this, can't get enough of these threads.

brat-sampson

Bloodborne might still be the best overall Fromsoft game. The writing in particular is just delicious.

Have 'fun'.

DenzilHolles

Aye, looking forward to this thread too. Did you play any of the Souls games too?

Bloodborne was the first game that got into my nightmares, playing it until 3 or 4 am
every morning wasn't a great idea. But what a game - easily my favourite of this gen.

biggytitbo

I have Bloodborne and its on my list to play soon. I intend to play it in the exact same way as I did Dark Souls - wander around having no idea what to do twatting everything in sight.

Moribunderast

I only played Bloodborne for the first time last year. Absolutely wonderful game and one I do think about jumping back into from time to time. There's a moment very early (when you come across the mob of enemies surrounding the bonfire in the first area) that felt so overwhelming and thrilling - very reminiscent of the first village in RE4. Just an instant and clear message from game to you: "I have the power. You have to fight to earn my respect."

Loved it. My favourite of the From games (have played all but DS3) and would probably rank very, very high on an all-time list. As a lover of horror and deformed creatures, it's just a gift that keeps on giving.

Hank Venture

I have played all previous From games, and I have to say this is definitely one of the better ones. Had an incredible session today - finished yesterday by bashing my head against Vicar Amalia. Today I smashed the vicar (2nd try), along with the Witches (easiest boss in a From game?), Shadows of Yharnam (4th try) AND Rom (3rd try). Praise the blood moon!

Have cleared all the areas I'm supposed to. Got creamed by a wallclimbing, laser shooting mega-spider.

Pros:
- rewards aggressive play more than DS
- no Humanity mechanic
- world building and enemy design is amazing

Cons:
- no fast travel between lamps
- camera lock-on works less well than I remember from DS
- think I've already fucked up some quests, which annoys me

What builds/weapons combos are your favourites? I put just enough into STR to try the Kirkhammer, which I hate. So I dropped it, and I never do ARC in From games, which has left me with a pure SKL build, with Threaded Cane and Repeating Pistol.

Jerzy Bondov

Axe until the Tonitrus comes along then swapping between them as required got me to the end. I started a pimp cane run but remembered how shit I am and how I need to brute force every difficult encounter. The cane is cool as fuck though and I'm very proud of how I can massacre the cunts round the bonfire now having spent hours getting swarmed and murdered there when it came out. First game I got on my PS4 and still the best

Kirkhammer is the best. When you have the endurance to just press R1 again and again in hammer form and it's THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK slaughter. Flatten the buggers.

brat-sampson

I beat literally the entire game with my Trusty As Fuck saw cleaver. It has a natural bonus against beasts, tight attack timing etc. I swear, I tried other weapons but noting else felt as natural for me.

Hank Venture

The Kirkhammer is just too slow for me. An oafish weapon - dare I say it - for simpletons. No. The cane is the one, quick and nimble. In and out with surgical slices, wielding the notched whip is an artforn.

I bought Ludwig's Holy Blade. 20k Echoes down the toilet.

Hank Venture

Even if another, technically superior weapon comes along I think I'm too used to the cane moveset now that I can't switch anyway.

Thursday

Once you can get the Ludwigs Holy Blade, that should sort you out fine. It might be a bit vanilla, but it's stats just seem better, and it seems to have more range than the kirkhammer sword or blunt version of the cane.

Cane is the most stylish. Saw Cleaver is the most effective. Axe is pedestrian. Hammer is God mode.

If you have the DLC, there are loads of more interesting weapons there. I always do a suicide run as soon as it's available and grab a few. That's my suggestion for your next playthrough.

Hank Venture

I don't have the DLC. How does that work, is it standalone or does it merge with the main game? I don't think I'm doing another play through, I have so much other stuff I want to play.

Hank Venture

Is there any way of respeccing in this game? You could in DS3.

brat-sampson

The DLC is fucking brilliant. It merges with the main game and is geared towards a high-end character so should be left until you're near the end. You can pick it up at any point though, and I'd highly recommend you do.

No respec that's just DS3 tier bullshit (and DS2 which I forgive anything). The DLC is like all the Souls DLC totally integrated. It's late game content but it's all story relevant and has about an extra ten or twelve weapons and some of the very best bosses and areas in the whole thing. One of the best ever DLCs for anything is the consensus.

Hank Venture

[Stupid idiot voice]: No I am definitely not buying the DLC, it sounds bad.

Re: Kirkhammer and no respecc: I worry I might be spreading the skill points too thin if I want to level up STR as well as SKL for the cane and to a lesser extent bloodtinge for gun stagger. Also I hate farming those upgrade gems.

Hank Venture

ALSO BE WARNED IF YOU HAVENT PLAYED BB YET: I cant be bothered with hiding spoilers from now on. Youre an idiot if youre spoiler sensitive and reading this.

Timothy

Quote from: Hank Venture on April 14, 2019, 10:33:12 AM
ALSO BE WARNED IF YOU HAVENT PLAYED BB YET: I cant be bothered with hiding spoilers from now on. Youre an idiot if youre spoiler sensitive and reading this.

A shit. I wanted to start Bloodborne properly today and promised in the Sekiro thread to share my adventures. Wanted to do so in this topic but now I have to make a new one. :(

Hank Venture

No I take it back. You can post here, I'll do the spoiler text.

WARNING: Don't upgrade your bloodtinge, it's a complete waste unless you're going to run a pure bloodtinge build. Same with ARC. They're for when you really understand the ins and outs and want to try something very specific.

In general, don't bother upgrading STR or SKL unless you need them for a specific weapon you like. Upgrading the weapon does vastly more damage until much later in the game. Put your points into staying alive with VIT and END.

Jerzy Bondov

The DLC is fucking nails. Haven't finished it, probably never will. That fucking spinning blade weapon though, yes please. Worth it for that.

Press L1 and pizza cut your way through the game.

Hank Venture

I've four frontiers I can push up against, all of which destroy me (spoiler text):

- Martyr Logarius, who is an absolute dickhead. Genuinely unfair fight.
- Fighting Eileen in Grand Cathedral. Too much HP.
- Fighting the trio of hunters in Yahar'Gul. The corpse run here is too unforgiving.
- Nightmare Frontier. There's a player camping here that keeps ganking me. Might do this offline until I've made enough headway to take on the other three paths.

You're making good progress then. Nice one. The first is optional, attached to an NPC quest, a nice normal bloke you may have bumped into earlier saying a few prayers. The second is optional but will give you some awesome gear but there's an easier way which you probably can't do now she's aggro. The third one is a good next route and worth doing. Maybe just run past them all and grab all the items in the area and then head off to the fourth. There's some really really useful stuff in the third.

Hank Venture

I always do all bosses, do I am deffo doing the first. I think I am going to cheese the trio. Might spend all my Insight levelling up Ludwig's and Tonitrus. They seem useful.

Well, of course, but I'm saying that isn't your way forward. Tonitrus is very very useful against certain enemies, much less so against most. I wouldn't throw too much upgrade material at it. LHB is the supposed 'easy mode' weapon but I could never get into it. Maybe a bit too Soulsy.

Quick note that if you want to do the DLC, don't finish the game because it's incredibly hard in NG+.

Thursday

NF is the one I'd focus on there first, as I think it's probably the lowest level for where you're at. You should eventually be able to get to the Bell maiden and that'll stop the constant invasions even without going offline.

Ch is weird, those ghosts are quite easy to deal with, so it's not a particularly hard area, but the boss is and one I'd come back to at a high level.

The fight in Grand Cathedral, I think anytime I've played it I've done the other hunter fight there which is insanely difficult, and I don't think I've ever done without a little bit of cheese.

The trio in Y'G is a pain. Just need to try and manipulate the AI a bit so you can focus on one and then it should start to fall into place.