Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BloodBorne Re:Borne 2: Bellectric Bloodaloo

Started by Hank Venture, April 12, 2019, 11:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Venture

Yeah, I tried, but it doesn't make them fight to the death. They just stopped and started aggroing me again. Fuck that, I'll cheese them.

madhair60

Mate I reinstalled this and fought Micolash today, you should have seen me. I never get angry at videogames - what would be the point - but I was raging. Worst boss fight ever in any game.

I agree. Best voice worst ever fight. The actual fight is fine but the running around RNG bullshit for ages and then you get in and he does A Call Beyond and you're dead immediately. Now run for another fifteen minutes.

madhair60

Only beat him because I got lucky and he didn't cast Fuck Off.

Thankfully next boss is metal as fuck

If you're in close to him all the time, he tends not to do it and/or you can stagger him out of it immediately. It's such a fast spell so if you're not right up close he'll fire it off. It is possible to dodge at the last minute but I think much harder to do so unless at longer range. Short version he's a cunt

Hank Venture

Worst game ever.

So I cleared the Fishing Hamlet and finished off Bradon's questline. I fought the Orphan of Kos once, died after getting down 20% of his health, then thought I'd just go back to Laurence and try to kill him before Orphan. So I did, after trying solo a couple of times unsuccessfully, and then summoning a co-op hunter. Then I did the same to Orphan.

So that's the DLC cleared. Nightmare Slayed.

Back to after Micolash and the Mother Brain I quickly made my way to Margo's Wet Nurse, killed her on my first try (overlevelled as I was), then went back to The Hunter's Dream. Gehrman is waiting for me under the Great Tree? Alright, cheers. Ate 3x Third of Umbilical Cord, made my way over there, talked to him, pressed X on "Give up your life" thinking the other option was like a cancel thing so to not progress to the final boss fight, and ... credits.

FUCK OFF.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Why would that be a choice to give the player? "Oh yeah, skip the final boss by accident so you have to start all over again if you want to experience it." I've never been fucked over like that by a game before.

54 fucking hours. There's absolutely zero chance of me playing through it again just fight Gehrman and Moon Presence. Fuck off.

Gameplay: 1/10
Story: 1/10
Graphics: 1/10

Do not buy this game.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 27, 2019, 08:07:52 PM
If you're in close to him all the time, he tends not to do it and/or you can stagger him out of it immediately. It's such a fast spell so if you're not right up close he'll fire it off. It is possible to dodge at the last minute but I think much harder to do so unless at longer range. Short version he's a cunt
Oh, but it's so sublime, because the mechanics of the game really make you feel the frustration of fighting some mockney twat who keeps casting a big cheating load of shit spell.

I like it halfway though the fight when he has his big epiphany, "Oh, wait. 'Kos' is short for 'cosmos'! Oim a genius, innit?"

Then again The nerds at Byrgenwerth weren't much better: 'Willem sought to line his brain with eyes' - which, judging by all the jars around the place, isn't a metaphor.

Fookin' students.

Hank Venture

I'm fuming. Never playing this again. The game robbed me of the final boss.

Although, the Chalice Dungeons...

Thursday

Yep play the Chalice Dungeons as you'll need to do that to see all of the bosses, and you can play through the game again to help you grind for the really hard chalice dungeon levels... then you'll only need to do a 3rd playthrough for the platinum trophy... it'll be a speedrun by then.

All joking aside, the Chalice Dungeons are crap.

Next time someone asks you to kill yourself say no.  Any context. Say no.

Chalice Dungeons don't scale in difficulty in NG+ so you haven't missed out on anything or made it too difficult for yourself. NG+ will be a romp because you're over levelled. You can skip the DLC and just leg it through, do Gehrman and MP and the Chalice Dungeon bosses.

At least you got the 'nice' ending.

Fishfinger

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 27, 2019, 11:22:43 PM
All joking aside, the Chalice Dungeons are crap.

I think they're a curate's egg. The good stuff comprises some unique bosses and mobs which present, arguably, the biggest challenge in the whole game, solo or co-op, along with the chance for better gems and weapon variants. There are also some useful things for a beasthood build, which I found really fun.

Fishfinger

Quote from: Hank Venture on April 27, 2019, 11:16:42 PM
I'm fuming. Never playing this again. The game robbed me of the final boss.

I get your frustration, given your objective it sucks. It seems you were spoiled on everything apart from the one thing that matters at that point. If you did ever change your mind and do NG+ I agree with TBC that you'd sail through it. You don't need any gear so can run through most of it and you'll be OP for the mandatory bosses.

Quote from: Fishfinger on April 28, 2019, 12:35:47 PM
I think they're a curate's egg. The good stuff comprises some unique bosses and mobs which present, arguably, the biggest challenge in the whole game, solo or co-op, along with the chance for better gems and weapon variants.
Each to their own. I'm entirely uninterested in farming gems and whatnot. One of the biggest draws for me is the level design which, as far as I've seen, is tossed aside in the dungeons - being randomly generated from a seemingly very limited set of assets.

Fishfinger

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 28, 2019, 12:49:35 PM
Each to their own. I'm entirely uninterested in farming gems and whatnot. One of the biggest draws for me is the level design which, as far as I've seen, is tossed aside in the dungeons - being randomly generated from a seemingly very limited set of assets.

Can't disagree. I didn't get into them until I got interested in doing repeat runs with different builds.

Admittedly, I've only used the chalice that you get after killing the Blood Starved Beast (utter twat of a boss that it is). Do any of the others generate significantly different dungeons?

Fishfinger

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 28, 2019, 01:01:56 PM
Admittedly, I've only used the chalice that you get after killing the Blood Starved Beast (utter twat of a boss that it is). Do any of the others generate significantly different dungeons?

There are several types of dungeon you can unlock which technically each have their own aesthetic and pool of mobs and bosses, but there's not a great variance in terms of layout. They remind me of the procedural generation in No Man's Sky: always different, always the same. Some have a bit of weather, there's a kind of 'cosmic' effect in one branch, and so on.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 28, 2019, 01:01:56 PM

What a mong. Maybe play the story dungeons before shitting your pants again about something you don't understand.

My pants are fucking great!

Ariel recognise Ariel.

Hank Venture

How does Sekiro compare to BloodBorne in terms of enemy design/variation? Is it similarly fantastical or is it more grounded (boring)?

More grounded in samurai shite but some 'surprises'.

madhair60

Finished Dark Souls 2: SOTFS yesterday. I hated it almost the whole time, but I finished it so I can't have truly disliked it.

Probably the best game ever for me alongside Demon's

madhair60

Genuinely - why? It felt so lacklustre and obnoxious compared to 1 and Bloodborne. There was plenty to do, but most the time it felt samey. The only area that "wowed" me was Dragon Aerie, and that was ultimately linear and tedious.

I have a pal who loves it the best too, it baffles me.

Fishfinger

Apparently DS2 has the best pvp in Soulsborne. I wouldn't know. I only got through it by playing with a friend who beat it a bunch of times. I much prefer the better graphics and pace of Bloodborne and DS3.

Quote from: madhair60 on April 29, 2019, 10:04:04 AM
Genuinely - why? It felt so lacklustre and obnoxious compared to 1 and Bloodborne. There was plenty to do, but most the time it felt samey. The only area that "wowed" me was Dragon Aerie, and that was ultimately linear and tedious.

I have a pal who loves it the best too, it baffles me.

Basically, I played Demon's for about ten or twenty hours and barely got past the Tower Knight in the second area of Boletaria Palace. Honestly. It was amazing but I didn't know what the hell I was doing and it crushed me. I didn't even realise there was summoning or anything to it. I didn't even realise you could level up for ages and ages! Anyway, I ended up leaving it and I think I got into Skyrim. Totally skipped Dark Souls which was already out and I remember Neil and chand talking about it on here.

Then for some reason (prob excitement here) I got into DS2 (original) shortly after release and I absolutely adored it immediately. I think my Demon's experience helped a bit but it was also realising actually there's a shitload to these games which isn't explained and there are so many viable builds and strategies and stuff and with community support I actually started to make some progress and I was summoning and helping people and basically grinding and grinding and grinding and getting well over levelled and just about scraping through and it was really really satisfying and exciting and tense. I also somehow heard of a podcast called The Dark Souls Two (defunct) which talked through each area and the stories and lore and item descriptions and I was like wwwuuuuttttt?

Anyway, then I played Dark Souls 1, adored it even more and when I finished I started with the lore and DS podcasts and stuff and I was like ffffffffffffkkkkkk and I basically felt differently about games after that. I started to think about the design of the game from the initial conceptual level of death and rebirth and how that metanarrative basically explained/justified the 'gamey' artificiality of dying and starting again. More so, I loved that it's a game about trying hard and failing and failing and failing and your character turning hollow just as the player loses motivation to continue (if they are shit at games or have no spirit) until you finally dig deep and HUMANITY RESTORED. Then all the NPC stories and environmental storytelling and I was like FFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK and I was getting into Taoism and I was like FFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK and then I realised how elegant the whole thing is and how it's an unimaginable marriage of themes, mechanics, narrative and metanarrative like nothing else I've played.

Then I hammered Bloodborne and realised that it was an almost equally amazing marriage of themes, mechanics, narrative and metanarrative elements. I turned the fuckin game inside out, must have run a dozen different builds. I did everything. 99 Arcane build just to see what would happen. Turned into a frigging werewolf which triggered my fuckin tinnitus because of the hiss noise. Powered through. Simon's Bowblade suicide cheese after Vicar Amelia. Everything. Around that time I wasn't sure if I actually liked games or just Soulsborne because most everything else could cunt up a rope as far as I cared.

Then (to answer your question) I got into Scholar. Holy fuck. The jank is real. Why can you just poise through everything? Why does it feel like the weapons are made of polystyrene? Why is it so fucking hard? Why don't the areas connect? Why can I hardly remember certain areas despite hammering the game? Oh, it's because it's a total mish-mash of corridors and spokes and illogical geography and clashing themes and vague links and hold on...I found out they basically remade DS2 from fragments the first director had half-finished. And the Scholar edition added more story and more lore and what the fuck, it's all about loss and fading memories and trying to piece together truth or at least reality from fragments of history, both personal and familial and regional and cultural and it's also a metaphor for dementia. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK. All of the fragments of the world, all of the corridors and fragmented lore spread 'illogically' around the world is actually a perfect representation of both the character's mind as they die and die over and over, gradually hollowing, but also the player's mind - ME! - thinking back over all of the disparate elements of the game that I've experienced and not been able to put together. The overarching memory and feeling of the game is the blurred edges and fragmented memories. I can't picture how Brightstone Tseldora has any link to the Iron Keep or Shrine of Amana or Drangleic Castle or Heide's Tower of Flame or Majula or Things Betwixt...It's just a patchwork of fleeting moments. THAT IS MEMORY. Through circumstance and bottled lightning, they managed to capture the feeling of both an adventure and of a life fading from memory, and made this the theme of the game for all the characters within it. The gameplay is largely floaty crap with ludicrous difficulty spikes and simplistic enemy placements but it has texture and flavour and colour and meaning in spades upon spades. If I could die and go anywhere in a game, I'd go to Majula. It feels like the afterlife.

madhair60

Hank Venture

Ah, a hunter is a hunter, even in a dream.

madhair60

I'm stuck on the Abyss Watchers in DaSo 3, which sucks because I looked them up on my two haunts and nobody else has ever apparently had trouble with them. I'm just gonna go somewhere else.

Cuellar

I came to this game very late, was enjoying it, then had to go down into a crypt in the dark and I got scared and haven't played it since. This was about 1.5 years ago.