Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck GameHut

Started by Twed, April 13, 2019, 04:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

From the man who posts interesting anecdotes about the coding techniques he used in 90s game development, elevating them from "things a competent developer would do" to "clever tricks that should make you adore me" and detailing the fucking Christian easter eggs he put in perfectly innocent games, comes this absolute fucking horseshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhz4wKcuM4A

He is taking the hated streaming games model and trying to apply it to Jet Set Willy. Love gaming history? Well, we've bought the rights and are making the original data unavailable to you because we like money.

I hope he's right about Christianity, because he would definitely be going to hell under those terms.

Twed

Wow, fuck Dara Ó Briain too.

Considering the people to whom this would fundamentally appeal are also the people least likely to support this model, and most likely to already use emulators, and most likely to see through the PR bullshit/enormous complexity of paying the original creators, I don't see this as anything other than a colossal failure. Like pretty much everyone has said, if it involved a download to be played client side, OK, I might get a sub for a few months. I actually think they'd have been better received had they just said, we bought the rights and we're selling them to you retro wankers as yet another subscription you'll forget you pay each month. Oh, and we're just keeping all the money. There's at least an integrity to that.

Twed

It's a little more annoying than it should be to me, because GameHut is always right on the line of "good content" versus "annoying twat". One of those people who seems alright but then confidently drops a bombshell of utter twattery that they can't even recognise as twattery every 18 months or so.

The revelation that he's friends with Bear Grylls seals it, really.

I really, really wish these people read the bible and didn't just remember their favourite parts for cute quotes.

Phil_A

It all feels shady as fuck. How does a small startup come out of nowhere and manage to get rights to all these decades old titles, including those from companies long since dissolved? Surely the streaming rights would have to be separate to actual copyright over the games themselves? It just sounds like a legal minefield, if this actually gets funded(which seems unlikely given the general negative response thus far), I can't see it lasting beyond the inevitable avalanche of lawsuits.

The idea that this is somehow a more "ethical" way of playing older games is obvious horseshit when you know full well the original creators won't see penny.

Twed

Quote from: Phil_A on April 13, 2019, 05:20:34 PM
It all feels shady as fuck. How does a small startup come out of nowhere and manage to get rights to all these decades old titles, including those from companies long since dissolved?
These are moneyed, high-profile games developers living it up in California. The guy in the video is Jon Burton, co-founder of Traveller's Tales//TT Games. Lego and Disney money is how they can do this.

That's the worst part of it all. This cunt is a games developer. He has a YouTube channel devoted to making himself look amazing, and now is lying to you about caring about gaming history.

Quote from: Phil_A on April 13, 2019, 05:20:34 PMSurely the streaming rights would have to be separate to actual copyright over the games themselves? It just sounds like a legal minefield, if this actually gets funded(which seems unlikely given the general negative response thus far), I can't see it lasting beyond the inevitable avalanche of lawsuits.
They have already paid for the rights. They just like money, and probably see the Kickstarter as advertising more than anything else. Because in their out of touch sociopathic ego-addled minds, they think people are stupid enough to want this.

Quote from: Phil_A on April 13, 2019, 05:20:34 PM
The idea that this is somehow a more "ethical" way of playing older games is obvious horseshit when you know full well the original creators won't see penny.
Yep, it's an evil lie. He makes a bit hissing fuss about people playing games ILLEGALLY, so he has set up a service where you can pay them LEGALLY, which is somehow more moral because the money goes into his pocket on the basis that he paid for the rights. Copyright law is his moral code, and he is going to traditional Christian Hell.

Beagle 2

Half the appeal of retro games is the collecting side, whether that's physical copies or ROMs, curating your own little catalogue of classics, they're yours to stash away and gaze at fondly. A streaming service holds no appeal whatsoever.

hedgehog90

The most obscene part of it for me is that to get around the issue of piracy they're using something like 100,000x more bandwidth (for regular users) by streaming video rather than downloading the game and emulator.
This has to be the most inefficient, inelegant solution to a non-existant problem I've ever seen.
It's ironic that most of his videos are about the clever, efficient coding techniques of his youth.

madhair60

Didn't he spend several months publicising a rom hack for Sonic 3D that he made which requires emulators to play?

hedgehog90

I just returned to post the same thing, madhair.
You never know, he may have expected players to use a bespoke MegaDrive cartridge to DB-25 connector to read/write the original Sonic 3D ROM data from your Windows 95 PC.

Twed

https://youtu.be/j8w1g7x8EjY

This is his damage control video. It must suck to exclusively hang around with dickheads and lose the ability to gauge society.

hedgehog90

When they have to explain what latency is and why it isn't even an issue for them anyway...

"And we've altered the difficulty of each game to suit each user's skill-level, so losing is never an option."

They didn't say that but it's probably not a bad idea, considering they're mainly marketing towards dullards.