Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:48:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The fantastic bargains thread.

Started by Glebe, April 13, 2019, 09:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

So I picked up Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Prometheus new on Blu-ray at €3 a pop in two different branches of Dealz (Poundland's Irish equivalent) the other day... I had already spotted several copies of DotPotA in a couple of Dealz stores, but I was particularly thrilled when I popped into another branch on a whim and spotted that single copy of Prometheus! Get in! So go on, then... post your recent bargains!

Photographic evidence of my bargains which I have been sad enough to upload:

Small Man Big Horse

I picked up for the first four Descender graphic novels by Jeff Lemire for £1.50 each last week, which I'm rather happy about as it's a superb series.

pancreas

Managed to get a $75 ticket for $20 at the Boston Symphony on the grounds that I'm under 40, astonishingly.

Buelligan

I don't have many shopping opportunities but I did get a copy of Intermission for 2€ once and someone gave me some fantastic smoked cheese, which they'd made right from the point of taking it out of the mammal, completely free yesterday.  So I feel like a winner.

poo

Vittoria Rubino Pros going for £9.99 on Chain Reaction.

shiftwork2

Quote from: pancreas on April 14, 2019, 03:55:15 AM
Managed to get a $75 ticket for $20 at the Boston Symphony on the grounds that I'm under 40, astonishingly.

Yes I thought you were way over 40.

gmoney

€3 for Prometheus is not a bargain.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Picked up a copy of Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice for £15.99 at Game. Once I'm done with it, I can trade it in at CEX for £18 credit. So not only a bargain, but an actual net gain profit. I bet you this is how Alan Sugar got started.

alan nagsworth

I got a picture vinyl of Mayhem's bootleg live album Dawn Of The Black Hearts, cutely limited to 666 copies, for £40. It goes for around £250 on eBay, but I'll be damned if I'd ever sell it. It's got a photo of the singer with his brains all blown out on it for fucks sake.

I had just finished a transaction in the shop for £30 on a bunch of CDs when I spotted it, and very cheekily asked the fella if I could refund the CDs and pay the extra and just have the Mayhem record. He said he normally would have told me to piss off but I was doing him a favour because "no one in their right mind would ever buy this thing".

edit: fucking hell just clocked one on eBay for £450!!

Buelligan

I have an autographed copy of Thatcher's autobiography (first edition) in my toilet.  I don't know how much they go for but it's staying forever in my toilet.

wosl

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 14, 2019, 03:52:51 PM
fucking hell just clocked one on eBay for £450!!

What's being asked and what punters will pay can be two very different things, as you'll remember, when your breathing returns to normal.  I've got a copy of the Boijmans Van Beuningen exhibition catalogue 'Donald Judd Furniture' (designed by 8vo!), two copies of which are currently up on eBay, one for £830 and the other for over £4,000.  Yeah, good luck with those.

wosl

To be fair, you do get free postage on the four thousand quid one.

alan nagsworth

stop shitting on my dreams i'm hungover and i need these shreds of hope

Dex Sawash

holdover

Yesterday I picked up a framed poster for a Cab Calloway gig in Glasgow from 1989. It's signed by the man himself and it only cost me £10. No idea of the actual worth but it seemed like a bargain.

Replies From View

I got an inexplicably cheap bus ticket and when I looked at it it had OAP printed on it.

Actually a lie, sorry.  This never happened.

Ray Travez

Glebe

Mr_Simnock

I used to collect Japanese versions of Megadrive games, got about 100 of them in a box at my parents house, some of them have absolutely shot up in value over the last couple of years. As has been pointed out already though it's all very well trying to sell a copy of a game for £1000 on ebay but would you actually get it. Many of my collection are still in fantastic condition and I'm going to sit on them till god knows when as I have no intention of selling them.

Sebastian Cobb

I chucked out all the cases and manuals for my megadrive games. Fucking stupid really.

Mr_Simnock

depends, most of the UK versions arn't worth much and how were you to know some might become valuable one day. It always surprises me which games remain worthless and which go on to become must haves which is usually shit games that didn't sell well even over good games that didn't shift many copies.

Sebastian Cobb

Only vaguely related but I just bought a new plastic screen cover for my original game boy after the old one fell off and I ballsed up refitting it. It was about a £2 for a new one.

Blue Jam

Today I found a crab bell at TK Maxx. The level of joy this inspired in me is really quite tragic.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What on earth would one do with a crab's bellend?