Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:26:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Is Spinal Tap - 35 Years Old

Started by DrGreggles, April 14, 2019, 12:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Given that he tends to play outlandish, larger than life characters, I love how Willard's playing it totally straight in Tap.

samadriel

thraxx

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 02, 2019, 09:31:31 AM
He's amazing in all the Guest films too.
A real Tour de France.

He's even better in Best In Show and the only thing I like in A Mighty Wind. And in another thread we were talking about how good he is in Review with Forrest MacNeil.

DrGreggles

Quote from: thraxx on May 02, 2019, 10:24:41 AM
He's even better in Best In Show

Best In (Stealing The) Show more like!

So glad my first viewing of this was on late night TV (late 80s/early 90s) knowing nothing about it or rock music, I missed about the first 15 mins so didn't see Billy Crystal or Patrick Macnee and the mockumentry style was new, so I was totally taken in. I remember Bruno Kirby (the chaffeur) was familiar (looking on IMDB probably from Birdy & When Harry Met Sally) but it was realistic enough to take a while before I twigged - it was just too funny to be real.

famethrowa

c

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 01, 2019, 05:27:04 PM
I think at first the problem is that he genuinely doesn't know how to fold it - but notice how he subtly shifts the goalposts after Ian shows him how it's done.

"Yes, but if you keep folding it..."
"Why would you keep folding it?"

Team QDRPHNC

Ferris

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 02, 2019, 09:03:02 AM
How great is Fred Willard in this? All of this:

'May I start by saying how thrilled we are to have you here. We are such fans of your music. All of your records. I'm not speaking of yours personally but the whole genre of the rock and roll and all the exciting things that are happening in music today. Now let me tell you a bit about what's going on. This is our monthly at-ease weekend. It gives us a chance to kind of let down our hair, although I see you all have a head start on that. *Laughing* You guys wouldn't pass military muster, believe me. Although I shouldn't talk, my hair is getting a little shaggy too. Better not get too close to you, they'll think I'm part of the band. I'm joking of course.'

AMAZING

I can hear him doing these lines. Making me laugh.

kalowski

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 02, 2019, 09:03:02 AM
How great is Fred Willard in this? All of this:

'May I start by saying how thrilled we are to have you here. We are such fans of your music. All of your records. I'm not speaking of yours personally but the whole genre of the rock and roll and all the exciting things that are happening in music today. Now let me tell you a bit about what's going on. This is our monthly at-ease weekend. It gives us a chance to kind of let down our hair, although I see you all have a head start on that. *Laughing* You guys wouldn't pass military muster, believe me. Although I shouldn't talk, my hair is getting a little shaggy too. Better not get too close to you, they'll think I'm part of the band. I'm joking of course.'

AMAZING
"I would like to get the playing  on about 1900 hours, if that is satisfactory?"
"When will that be?"
"I make it now it is about 1830 hours."
"So that's what? about 50 hours?"
"120 hours?"

HAVANAGILA

Just to add to the Willard love, he appears as a replacement church organist in the third episode of new Netflix comedy I Think You Should Leave (see separate thread) and is predictably show-stealing. In fact I'd probably have missed the whole series if I hadn't seen Jason Hazeley rhapsodising over Fred's scene on Twitter.

Back on topic - haven't watched it in ages but I remember FW's in-character interview describing the fallout from the Air Force base gig as the clear standout section from The Return Of Spinal Tap.

Quote from: Rizla on April 20, 2019, 07:05:05 PM
It's just occurred to me that the only real-life musician referenced in the film is Elvis, there's no lazy shoving them onto mocked up bills with the Beatles or what have you. (I think the King in a musical version of "Somebody Up There Likes Me" would have been awesome, btw).

Let's not forget Four Jacks And A Jill!

kalowski

Right now, on Sky Arts, Paul Weller is playing a collection of his acoustic numbers with the London Philharmonic. If only he followed it with his musical about Jack the Ripper.

DrGreggles

famethrowa

Quote from: kalowski on May 03, 2019, 10:55:30 PM
Right now, on Sky Arts, Paul Weller is playing a collection of his acoustic numbers with the London Philharmonic. If only he followed it with his musical about Jack the Ripper.

Saucy Jack!
you're a haughty one

kalowski

I've just remembered one of my favourite blink and you miss it gags.
Spinal Pap.

famethrowa

Quote from: kalowski on May 04, 2019, 07:36:21 AM
I've just remembered one of my favourite blink and you miss it gags.
Spinal Pap.

You are.... Spinal Tarp?

kalowski

Oh, no! I told them once, I told them a hundred times: put "Spinal Tap"  first and "Puppet show" last.

drdad

Quote from: kalowski on May 04, 2019, 01:27:05 PM
Oh, no! I told them once, I told them a hundred times: put "Spinal Tap"  first and "Puppet show" last.

We've got a big dressing room, though.

Clive Langham

My favourite exchange is near the end when  Nigel informs the rest of the band that "Sex Farm" is number five in Japan, and Derek asks "Spinal Tap's recording of Sex Farm?", as if "Sex Farm" is a well-loved standard with dozens of cover versions of it.

poodlefaker

I learned this weekend that the audiobook of Morrissey's Autobiography is read by the actor David Morrissey. Glad to see The Namesake Series is still in production.

Jumblegraws

Mick Shrimpton staring around with his mouth hanging open during the post-Stonehenge argument always does it for me.

vic spanner

Quote from: Clive Langham on May 06, 2019, 11:30:42 AM
My favourite exchange is near the end when  Nigel informs the rest of the band that "Sex Farm" is number five in Japan, and Derek asks "Spinal Tap's recording of Sex Farm?", as if "Sex Farm" is a well-loved standard with dozens of cover versions of it.

I think he's saying that to rebuke Nigel, who at that point isn't part of Spinal Tap, hence the emphasis on the band's name.

Rizla

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on May 03, 2019, 02:17:31 PM
Let's not forget Four Jacks And A Jill!
Ah yeah, but they're so obscure most people would assume they were made up, it's such a twee band name it's perfect for the scene.

I like how on "Big Bottom", because Nigel and David are both playing bass as well, Derek feels the need to use a twin-neck.

LORD BAD VIBE

"Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I wasn't under such heavy sedation..."

St_Eddie

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on May 07, 2019, 01:16:13 PM

Hah.  I'm glad that you mentioned this quote.  For some bizarre reason it's been entering my head on and off for the last couple of weeks.  No other quotes, just that one.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on May 07, 2019, 01:16:13 PM

"well, I've... got two hands...."

phantom_power

I bought the Blu-Ray based on this thread. It's got Return Of Spinal Tap on it as well, which is a bonus. All I have watched so far is a shit talking heads documentary with Justin Lee Collins and Ricky Gervais being predictably awful and self aggrandising. There are loads of extras on it though, including the band talking about the menu in character and an interview with Reg Pressley for some reason

amateur

God it's a good film. Decided to watch tonight after reading through this thread.

All gold, but Ian's "Forget this! Fuck the napkin!" particularly hit home.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: amateur on May 10, 2019, 09:35:53 PM
God it's a good film. Decided to watch tonight after reading through this thread.

All gold, but Ian's "Forget this! Fuck the napkin!" particularly hit home.

I used to say "fuck the napkin!" in meetings sometimes when someone or other would start on about how a project had changed course & wasn't like the original plan anymore. I'd follow up by explaining that a project is a living thing & needs to change during its life-span to accommodate external changes & so forth. "fuck the napkin!" would get their attention first.

ah, cross-posting from the M-FMH! thread about dave edmunds- here's the video I was looking for earlier in this thread where DE is looking & acting most tufnel-ish.

https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/1973-nationwide-monmouthshire-sound-dave-edmunds/358255074772368/