Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Is Spinal Tap - 35 Years Old

Started by DrGreggles, April 14, 2019, 12:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enzo

Probably the greatest DVD commentary of all.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: magval on April 14, 2019, 09:32:21 PM
I'm trying to confirm a theory - in the liner notes for the Herbie Hancock album Man-Child, it mentions a dismissive review of the later 1983 album Future Shock referred to it as "Future Shit".

I'm wondering if the review JUST said "Future Shit" and that's where "Shit Sandwich" came from. The review would only have been a year old when the film came out.

It's funny anyway, but I'd love to be right. Just don't know how to find the interview.

Right digging my copy out the now.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on April 14, 2019, 08:54:14 PM
there are as many claims to having been the inspiration for the band &/or the events of the movie as there are guitars in nigel's collection. the pod is probably rightfully claimed by bill nelson & be bop deluxe; the remains of the last surviving pod they had made for stage use is on the sleeve art for 'sunburst finish', on one side with a naked lass in it, holding a burning guitar aloft, & on the other with them all stuck in it.

Another source for the getting trapped in the pod (as mentioned in, if memory serves, the non-in-character commentary on the Criterion) was one show on Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans tour, where Alan White appears from a giant clamshell which was supposed to open up, but that one gig it didn't and he carried on playing whilst the roadies and stage hands tried to break it open with drills and hammers.

Sebastian Cobb

Something similar happens in Slade In Flame as well.

Tony Tony Tony

When it comes to tales of (prog) rock excess few can come near Rick Wakeman. His eating curry on stage during a concert is legendary (and true by his own account https://www.facebook.com/yestheband/photos/a.763075527037771/967363336608988/?type=1&theater  )

If you get past the line "Jon (Anderson) came over and he did have a poppadom" without at least a smile then there is no hope for your comedy bones. 

I met the great man a little while ago and he was a true gent as well as a raconteur of the first order. He lent me a pair of gloves for the evening (long story) and I was hoping they might magically improve my piano technique by some kind of musical osmosis. No such luck... I'm still shite.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on April 15, 2019, 12:39:49 PM
When it comes to tales of (prog) rock excess few can come near Rick Wakeman. His eating curry on stage during a concert is legendary (and true by his own account

That was him rallying AGAINST the excess, though - got bored on the Tales tour cos the set had become bigger than the band, Anderson and Howe were going a bit OTT with the spiritual stuff, Squire was allegedly in the middle of a very pricey nose powder habit (which is, if the rumours are true, what fucked his adenoids), he thought the music was mostly shit and there were long sections where he had absolutely nothing to do, plus it actually stemmed from one of the roadies misunderstanding/mishearing him as he originally said "I fancy a curry", meaning after the show, which got mistaken as "get me a curry now".  Cos he enjoyed it and it gave him something to do, it became a regular thing for the rest of the tour.

Of course, that anti-excess stance against what Yes had started to do is rather ironic given what his subsequent couple of live solo shows were like...

famethrowa

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 15, 2019, 02:08:36 PM
he thought the music was mostly shit and there were long sections where he had absolutely nothing to do,

Getting off the topic here, but that kind of sums up Rick in Yes... it always seems like he didn't join the band, just played with the band. Tony Kaye may not have had the chops or capes that Rick did, but at least he sounded like a member of the band rather than a guest artist flown in from afar.

Anyway back to the matter in hand, and so say all of us, Tap is the best movie around. I didn't "get it" on first watching because I'd hired 2 VHSs that weekend, Spinal Tap and the AC/DC "Let There Be Rock" concert movie. Needless to say they both looked the same and Angus, Bon and his chums made Nigel and David and Derek look totally credible. . The revealing moment came for me on the next watch on "none more black"....

Dusty Substance

momatt

Quote from: famethrowa on April 15, 2019, 03:12:41 PM
I didn't "get it" on first watching because I'd hired 2 VHSs that weekend, Spinal Tap and the AC/DC "Let There Be Rock" concert movie. Needless to say they both looked the same and Angus, Bon and his chums made Nigel and David and Derek look totally credible. . The revealing moment came for me on the next watch on "none more black"....

This reminds me of one of my favourite things about the film.  When asked about it in some documentary, people like Ozzie Osbourne and Jimmy Page were saying how they didn't think it was funny at all when they watched it.  Simply because they had already experienced everything in the film and even more outlandish things.
They just assumed it was a normal documentary.

gilbertharding

Apparently* they even edited the film in character. Derek, David and Nigel cut all the bits which they thought made them look ridiculous. Which is excellent, obviously.

*Or so I have read...

kalowski

The whole Bruno Kirby scene is so perfect I love it. I regularly say "When you've loved and lost like Frank has "

metaltax

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on April 15, 2019, 12:39:49 PM
I met the great man a little while ago and he was a true gent as well as a raconteur of the first order.

I used to think that, but his material's stuck in the world of the 1970s working mens' clubs (see his horrendous speech at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, where he used up all the available time and meant Chris Squire's family didn't get a mention) and he gives off the air of your average Brexit-voting, Tory-supporting, mates-with-Jim-Davidson sort of twat.

His autobiography's great though. It out-Partridges Partridge for its "needless to say I had the last laugh"-ness.

gilbertharding

If we're hating on Rick Wakeman, can I say that one benefit of Simon Mayo throwing his toys out of the pram and fucking off to start his own radio station that no-one will listen to, is that no longer will Rick Wakeman appear on Radio 2 drive time to explain every Christmas how he put the 'twiddly bits' onto Life on Mars? The cunt.

QDRPHNC

Has anyone read Inside Spinal Tap by the wonderfully-named Peter Occhiogrosso? Compiled of interviews and stills, which I assume were culled from unused footage. One good line I remember was from when the band is asked about using drugs at a press conference and Nigel goes off about the water in front of him, how water is a drug, how you get up and splash it on your face in the morning, it's a drug.

Christopher Guest has made some fine mockumentaries in his time, but nothing comes close to how natural TISS feels. I suppose it's down the fact that they genuinely shot it like a documentary and whittled it down from hours and hours of footage.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: magval on April 14, 2019, 06:07:56 PM
I love that Nigel says "my vision" when he gets shot in the eyes by the laser. Not "sight". So much funnier.

Haha yes. I also love the half-arsed "woooii" they all do when saluting the half-inflated devil.

magval

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 15, 2019, 06:44:32 PM
Has anyone read Inside Spinal Tap by the wonderfully-named Peter Occhiogrosso? Compiled of interviews and stills, which I assume were culled from unused footage. One good line I remember was from when the band is asked about using drugs at a press conference and Nigel goes off about the water in front of him, how water is a drug, how you get up and splash it on your face in the morning, it's a drug.

I've not read it but I've heard that before, I think it's on the deleted scenes on the DVD.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: metaltax on April 15, 2019, 05:07:13 PM
I used to think that, but his material's stuck in the world of the 1970s working mens' clubs (see his horrendous speech at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, where he used up all the available time and meant Chris Squire's family didn't get a mention) and he gives off the air of your average Brexit-voting, Tory-supporting, mates-with-Jim-Davidson sort of twat.

His autobiography's great though. It out-Partridges Partridge for its "needless to say I had the last laugh"-ness.

Oddly enough the evening Rick Wakeman offered me his gloves was a Masonic function and also present was Jim 'nick-nick' Davidson.

Your informed comment suggests you must have been there too?

In order to keep on topic(ish) can I point out that the volume control on the BBC iPlayer goes up to eleven in what is surely homage to Tap?

metaltax

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on April 15, 2019, 09:37:29 PM
Your informed comment suggests you must have been there too?

Only informed in the sense that both of them have at various points declared that they're mates. Which doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

In order to keep on topic(ish) can I point out that the volume control on the BBC iPlayer goes up to eleven in what is surely homage to Tap?

It is deliberate, yes. I've always thought that was a nice little touch.

DrGreggles

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 15, 2019, 02:08:36 PM
That was him rallying AGAINST the excess, though - got bored on the Tales tour cos the set had become bigger than the band, Anderson and Howe were going a bit OTT with the spiritual stuff, Squire was allegedly in the middle of a very pricey nose powder habit (which is, if the rumours are true, what fucked his adenoids), he thought the music was mostly shit and there were long sections where he had absolutely nothing to do, plus it actually stemmed from one of the roadies misunderstanding/mishearing him as he originally said "I fancy a curry", meaning after the show, which got mistaken as "get me a curry now".  Cos he enjoyed it and it gave him something to do, it became a regular thing for the rest of the tour.

Of course, that anti-excess stance against what Yes had started to do is rather ironic given what his subsequent couple of live solo shows were like...

Yeah, Wakeman notoriously exaggerates for comic effect, and many of his stories are embroidered, if not apocryphal. And as metaltax says elsewhere, his speech hogging the limelight at Yes's Hall of Fame induction meant Chris Squire's widow and daughter didn't have time to deliver their speech (even though the tribute to Squire was the reason Wakeman - who'd fallen out with Howe and Downes - gave for reluctantly attending the ceremony).

In an OGWT interview it seems Wakeman was very happy with the Topographic tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31PN3ufvjUQ. Maybe he was playing nice, but there's an element of self-mythologising with him that's occasionally amusing but unreliable.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 15, 2019, 11:47:10 PM
It is deliberate, yes. I've always thought that was a nice little touch.

Nah, it's witless s4c.

Blodwyn Pig is away

momatt

Yes you may!

McChesney Duntz

Speaking of the BBC, Marc Riley devoted nearly a full half hour this evening to the greatness of Tap, including a full litany of their ex-members and bizarrely mistaking one of the most famous lines in A Hard Day's Night for a Rutles gag (starts @1:32:07):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000471f

DrGreggles

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on April 16, 2019, 09:32:42 PM
Speaking of the BBC, Marc Riley devoted nearly a full half hour this evening to the greatness of Tap, including a full litany of their ex-members and bizarrely mistaking one of the most famous lines in A Hard Day's Night for a Rutles gag (starts @1:32:07):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000471f

The revelation that Viv Savage died when he was visiting Mick Shrimpton's grave and it exploded!

Tairy_Green

"This twisted old fruit here tells me that you have ballsed up my reservations..."

"I'm just as god made me, sir."

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

This Is Spinal Tap is perfect. The only other faultlessly brilliant and hilarious comedy films in the entire history of cinema are Life Of Brian, Holy Grail, Duck Soup, Woody Allen's Love & Death and pretty much the entire pre-Fox canon of Laurel and Hardy.

It is without peer (apart from those other films I just mentioned).

mrfridge

The interview over the end credits where Nigel discusses what he'd be doing were he not in a band is solid gold. Something about working in a haberdashery or shoe shop then role playing a scenario with a customer. Incredible.

I've just bought the special edition Blu Ray (having already got the 2 dvd version) off the back of this thread. Can't wait to wallow in the Tap for a few hours when it turns up.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mrfridge on April 17, 2019, 09:08:55 AM
The interview over the end credits where Nigel discusses what he'd be doing were he not in a band is solid gold. Something about working in a haberdashery or shoe shop then role playing a scenario with a customer. Incredible.

QuoteNigel Tufnel: Well, I suppose I could work in a shop of some kind or... or do um... freelance... selling of some sort of... um... product, you know...

Marty DiBergi: A salesman, you think you...

Nigel Tufnel: A salesman, like, maybe in a haberdasher, or maybe like a... um, a chapeau shop, or something... you know, like: "Would you... what size do you wear, sir?" and then you answer me.

Marty DiBergi: Uh... seven and a quarter.

Nigel Tufnel: "I think we have that...", you see, something like that I could do.

Marty DiBergi: Yeah... you think you'd be happy doing something like-...

Nigel Tufnel: "No! We're all out, do you wear black?", see, that sort of thing, I think I could probably muster up.

Marty DiBergi: Yeah, do you think you'd be happy doing that?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, I don't know, wh-wh-what are the hours?

mrfridge

That's it!

"What are the hours?"

Perfect.