Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:02:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Is Spinal Tap - 35 Years Old

Started by DrGreggles, April 14, 2019, 12:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choie

I watched Tap last night as a result of this thread. Can't fathom how many times I've seen it by now, but it's still just magic.

Quote from: Rizla on April 20, 2019, 05:58:28 PM
I think that the reason the Stonehenge sequence is one of the funniest scenes in comedy history is not because of the dwarfs or the small stones or any of that, it's the fact that, mid-tour and in the doldrums, they've decided to put the song back in the set despite it representing an earlier phase of their career, when they were all proggy and a bit hippyish, rather than the NWOBHM direction they've gone in with STG. Almost to their surprise, everyone, band and audience, are absolutely loving it (the second verse that isn't in the film is great - "tis a magic place, where the moon doth rise with a devil's face") and it's actually quite sad when all goes tits up. I dunno what I'm trying to say here really, except I love this film to bits, it is, as many have said, perfect in every way.

I'm pretty sure I laughed harder, and longer, and more gleefully, at the entire Stonehenge sequence than I have at any other comedy. (Closest I've come was a "Whose Line is it Anyway" episode, believe it or not.)  The tiny Stonehenge descending from above, and the utterly nonplussed stares by Nigel and especially David, was extraordinary. Although for me the after-effect scene is a continuation of that sheer beautiful setup:

QuoteDavid: I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.

With the capper:

QuoteDerek: Can I ask a practical question at this point? Are we going to do 'Stonehenge' tomorrow night?

David: NO OF COURSE WE"RE NOT GOING TO DO FUCKING STONEHENGE TOMORROW NIGHT!

Just marvelous. And I'm glad someone else asked about the accents, because to my very experienced but still non-British ears, they sound spot on--Nigel/Guest especially, but David/McKean as well, and of course Derek/Shearer (perhaps not surprisingly given his skills as a voice actor).  (I love that he uses a different regional accent--sounds farther north than Nigel and David.) Most impressive are the tiny details the trio pull off successfully, e.g., maintaining the accents even with verbal tics such as "Er" instead of "Um."

Rob Reiner deserves so much acclaim for this film. He really has an impressive output as a director, doesn't he? Some duds, but everyone has duds.  Not to mention his performance as DiBergi.  Obviously the intro where he nearly folds his arms but then self-consciously brings them down, but also the ridiculously atonal use of "But enough of my yakkin'! Let's boogie!"

I want to give an extra bit of praise to June Chadwick. My favorite part of her performance is the scene where DiBergi is interviewing Jeanine and David about the tension between her and Nigel, and while David obliviously goes on about how similar she and Nigel are, she's very consciously looking away from him without any expression,  and taking little breaths as she's about to contradict him but thinks better of it, then gives an extremely half-hearted agreement to David's theory despite obviously on an entirely different page.  Lovely, subtle acting throughout.

Rizla

It's just occurred to me that the only real-life musician referenced in the film is Elvis, there's no lazy shoving them onto mocked up bills with the Beatles or what have you. (I think the King in a musical version of "Somebody Up There Likes Me" would have been awesome, btw).

QDRPHNC

Wasn't there a lost plot thread about an original band member leaving - the guy who wrote their one genuine hit (Flower People). And since then they've been hopping aboard whatever musical trend happened to come along.

It is glorious. I'm really in the mood to watch it again now.

Rizla

EDIT pointless post, bit sunstroked and that, soz

Twed

"But you're not as confused as him, are you? It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel".

Twed

I always forget what a treasure this film is. Putting it on today has really made my Saturday.

hermitical

Quote from: choie on April 20, 2019, 06:59:34 PM
I watched Tap last night as a result of this thread. Can't fathom how many times I've seen it by now, but it's still just magic.

I'm pretty sure I laughed harder, and longer, and more gleefully, at the entire Stonehenge sequence than I have at any other comedy. (Closest I've come was a "Whose Line is it Anyway" episode, believe it or not.)  The tiny Stonehenge descending from above, and the utterly nonplussed stares by Nigel and especially David, was extraordinary. Although for me the after-effect scene is a continuation of that sheer beautiful setup:

QuoteDavid: I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.

Life imitates art.... in 1983 Black Sabbath had a massive mock Stonehenge on stage along with a dwarf portraying the demon baby from the Born Again album cover
https://youtu.be/ppR838nSNX8

famethrowa

No one knows who they were, or what they were doing

famethrowa

Quote from: Rizla on April 20, 2019, 07:05:05 PM
It's just occurred to me that the only real-life musician referenced in the film is Elvis, there's no lazy shoving them onto mocked up bills with the Beatles or what have you. (I think the King in a musical version of "Somebody Up There Likes Me" would have been awesome, btw).

And Frank and Sammy Davis Jr... when you've loved and lost the way Frank has..

neveragain

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 20, 2019, 04:58:23 PM
In Better Call Saul they should have got Chuck to do his Spinal Tap voice. I don't know how they could squeeze a reason into the plot though.

He turns British when near electricity?

dallasman

King Crimson's Adrian Belew was asked to join them onstage for a song, back in '92:
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/king-crimson-spinal-tap/

Includes this news:
QuoteSpinal Tap – Tufnel and McKean, alongside Harry Shearer as Derek Smalls – recently confirmed a reunion to mark the 35th anniversary of the movie This Is Spinal Tap, originally released in 1984. They'll perform at the Tribeca Film Festival 2019 in New York City, where an anniversary screening will take place.

That'll be next Saturday, for anyone in the area. Sounds like a good night out.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

That guitar appears to have a speedometer and exhaust system installed.

kalowski

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 21, 2019, 07:19:09 PM
That guitar appears to have a speedometer and exhaust system installed.
And look at the pickups!!

dallasman

Oh yeah, that's from the Mercury tribute, where they graciously cut their set short by 25 songs. "We believe Freddy would've wanted it this way".

Bad Ambassador

Two bits that I don't think anyone's referenced yet:

Dressing like an Australian's nightmare.

Ian Faith's reaction to "Money talks and bullshit walks".

kalowski

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 21, 2019, 08:49:57 PM

Ian Faith's reaction to "Money talks and bullshit walks".
God, yes. Has anyone got a sexier New York accent than Bobbi Fleckman?

kalowski

"You know, if we were serious and we said "yes she should be forced to sniff...smell the glove" then you'd have a point you know but it's all a joke, isn't it, we're making fun of that sort of thing."
"It is and it isn't, she should be made to smell it, but..."
"But not, you know, over and over again."

poodlefaker

Quote from: Rizla on April 20, 2019, 05:58:28 PM
I think that the reason the Stonehenge sequence is one of the funniest scenes in comedy history is not because of the dwarfs or the small stones or any of that, it's the fact that, mid-tour and in the doldrums, they've decided to put the song back in the set despite it representing an earlier phase of their career, when they were all proggy and a bit hippyish, rather than the NWOBHM direction they've gone in with STG.

Similarly, they still happily play one of their earliest songs from their Merseybeat days ("GSM") at soundchecks.

gilbertharding

Bands soundchecking using their oldest/crappest song is a trope, isn't it? I can't think of any better examples than the Beatles doing One After 909 in the Let It Be film - but there must be loads.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 21, 2019, 08:49:57 PM
Dressing like an Australian's nightmare.

Yes - I often wonder about 'an Australian's nightmare' - but at the same time know exactly what it means, and sometimes think it's worth using myself.

St_Eddie

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 23, 2019, 05:25:34 PM
Yes - I often wonder about 'an Australian's nightmare' - but at the same time know exactly what it means, and sometimes think it's worth using myself.

Absolutely.  I have no real idea what it means and yet, it's so right.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: choie on April 19, 2019, 05:24:30 AM
Tap is definitely top on my list, though I would add Young Frankenstein and (unpopular opinion probably) Tootsie as well. In fact I'd also include A Mighty Wind. 

I dunno. A Mighty Wind is very good but it's far more on the sweet and sentimental side of things, and nowhere near the behemoth levels of comedy that Tap has. I certainly enjoyed it a lot, and much like Tap, it has an endearing quality that sucks you into their world and makes you love them, but the impact of all that is on a noticeably smaller scale.

DrGreggles

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 27, 2019, 12:18:28 PM
I dunno. A Mighty Wind is very good but it's far more on the sweet and sentimental side of things, and nowhere near the behemoth levels of comedy that Tap has. I certainly enjoyed it a lot, and much like Tap, it has an endearing quality that sucks you into their world and makes you love them, but the impact of all that is on a noticeably smaller scale.

A Mighty Wind contains the funniest slap in comedy history.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 27, 2019, 01:10:35 PM
A Mighty Wind contains the funniest slap in comedy history.

I'm having trouble remembering it (hilariously I watched it two nights ago for fucks sake) - jog my memory?

DrGreggles

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 27, 2019, 01:13:51 PM
I'm having trouble remembering it (hilariously I watched it two nights ago for fucks sake) - jog my memory?

Bob Balaban is pointing out all the potential health and safety problems and annoys Michael Hitchcock, so he slaps him.

alan nagsworth

Oh aye when he blaps him on his bald head, haha. That is great.

DrGreggles

Completely out of step with the rest of the film too.
Caught me off guard when I first saw it and laughed my head off.

QDRPHNC

I thought Waiting for Guffman was Guest's best mockumentary and it's been (slightly) diminishing returns since.

DrGreggles

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 27, 2019, 02:42:29 PM
I thought Waiting for Guffman was Guest's best mockumentary and it's been (slightly) diminishing returns since.

Best in Show/Waiting for Guffman/A Mighty Wind is a hell of a run.
My favourite is probably whichever of them I've watched most recently.

For Your Consideration didn't work for me at all though.
I blame Gervais...