Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:54:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why do people mount TVs on the wall?

Started by Twed, April 14, 2019, 06:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Put them on a big cabinet or something. You've probably got one under the mounted TV anyway, you perverse fucker.

I'm sure there's a reason for mounting, but what is it please? Why do you want your TV way above eye level? Why do you want to have make the decision about where the TV should be once and then never be able to move it? Do you just like doing things, idiot? Is that it? Idiot who does stuff?

NoSleep

Same reason they like flat screen tellies and phones you can barely hold properly. Thin shit appeals to dickheads.

Replies From View

Quote from: NoSleep on April 14, 2019, 06:52:19 PM
They love their aching necks.

What if they sit on tall chairs to reduce neck strain?

Dex Sawash

Has to be higher than my cabinet top if I am to see it over the top of my massive gut when I am reclining.

Old Thrashbarg

Our bedroom TV is mounted on the chimney breast on the wall opposite the bed. There's no room below to place a cabinet on which to stand it because there's a fireplace there. The alcove to one side houses a wardrobe and to the other side is the doorway. It's angled perfectly so we can watch it whilst laying down without any spinal or occular contortions, and it can be adjusted by swivelling, tilting or extending by hand. So if we're going to have a TV in the bedroom (and we are), wall mounting is the obvious and best choice.

Twed

Fireplaces are the only good reason I've seen so far. You'll be spared.

Sebastian Cobb

I had one mounted on the wall in one gaff. It was annoyingly high, but sort of worked because it was also the only place my stereo/records could fit as well. It actually worked ok because I set up a diy ambilight thing and being close to the wall made it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvdtI-5laQ8&feature=youtu.be

Telly on the wall aside, I really miss that flat.

Clownbaby

I don't really get what's so odd about having a telly on a wall. It's out of the way innit. My little one in front of my bed is wall mounted but then turned so it's in my eye line hovering above the foot of the bed. The awkward way my room is laid out means that having the telly stood on a surface would mean it would be on my desk which is for using, or on the little cabinet that already has games consoles on it. No more standing object space.

I was at a house party and there was a massive, massive very expensive telly on a stand in the corner of the room. There was a black-out drunk guy swaying near it and leaning on it and touching the screen and retching right near the unwashable speakers full of fine little holes and he obviously knocked it over. I suppose the more expensive and thin your telly is (there is no such thing as a fat sturdy new telly anymore) the better it would be to have it flush on a wall and slightly higher up so it's less likely to get knocked

I was worried about the telly all night and it wasn't even mine. I could have done more.

...I could have done more.

Urinal Cake

It's neat. Also you don't have anything on your walls.

Thursday

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 14, 2019, 11:38:51 PM

Well I have art on the walls because I'm an incredibly high-cultured intellectual, unlike you philistines with your soaps and reality tv!

Utter Shit

Leaves more space and keeps it out of the way of your idiot kids.

Ham Bap

Have mine on a stand but the manuals are all filled with instructions on how to mount it on the wall including how to plug your bits (oh err) into the wall.
It's like it's the done thing these days and here is how you must do it.

There's times I have to go behind it to swap/plug in HDMI cables for consoles and the such and have to be really fucking careful to not knock it over.
But how easy is it to do that if it's up on the wall? Do you have to physically remove the TV from the wall, plug in your cables and then put it back up?

NoSleep

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 15, 2019, 10:00:21 AM
Leaves more space and keeps it out of the way of your idiot kids.

Kids seem the only good reason. Without kids you can do the sensible thing and have anything you want to view slightly below your line of site (but most people who have the screens high up on a wall or shelf don't even have small kids). That's why you don't choose to be stuck craning your neck (and needing to turn your head to see everything) at the front seats of a cinema, but prefer seats further back, up the slope/steps, where you can look relaxingly downward at the screen. Same thing to people who place their computer monitors high up at the back of their workstation, what kind of self-imposed torture is that?

momatt

Quote from: Twed on April 14, 2019, 06:51:10 PM
I'm sure there's a reason for mounting, but what is it please? Why do you want your TV way above eye level?

Just because it's on the wall, doesn't mean it has to be right at the top of the wall.  Walls generally go from the floor to the ceiling and TVs can be put at any height you like.
I reckon everyone's just copying each other without thinking it through.

Everyone is fucking stupid except me.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 14, 2019, 11:38:51 PM
I've got loads of pictures, cos I'm arty and cool.  That's what walls are for.

QDRPHNC

Imagine not being able to imagine why someone would mount a TV on a wall. Go on and imagine it.

katzenjammer

Am thinking of mounting mine on the wall just above the bench it's currently on and using the free space for a turntable.  Is that OK CaB?

momatt

Quote from: katzenjammer on April 15, 2019, 01:38:14 PM
Am thinking of mounting mine on the wall just above the bench it's currently on and using the free space for a turntable.  Is that OK CaB?

Depends what height mate.
Just make sure it's the same level as your eyes when you're watching it.
Then I will approve.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ham Bap on April 15, 2019, 10:58:30 AM
There's times I have to go behind it to swap/plug in HDMI cables for consoles and the such and have to be really fucking careful to not knock it over.
But how easy is it to do that if it's up on the wall? Do you have to physically remove the TV from the wall, plug in your cables and then put it back up?

Do the wall bracket things not have some sort of hinge mechanism that allows you to angle the telly a bit, and access the back too?

Quote from: NoSleep on April 15, 2019, 11:00:58 AMSame thing to people who place their computer monitors high up at the back of their workstation, what kind of self-imposed torture is that?

Encourages good posture, innit?

NoSleep

Quote from: Mister Six on April 15, 2019, 01:57:43 PM
Encourages good posture, innit?

If good posture=bad neck. It natural to look over your work at a table or desk, not have it poised above your line of sight. Likewise ancient amphitheatres do not have a raised platform at their centre where the performers are placed, because it would be stupid.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on April 15, 2019, 02:13:36 PM
If good posture=bad neck. It natural to look over your work at a table or desk, not have it poised above your line of sight. Likewise ancient amphitheatres do not have a raised platform at their centre where the performers are placed, because it would be stupid.

Dunno, you used to get slanted desks that engineers and that used before it was all done on computers.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 15, 2019, 02:34:03 PM
Dunno, you used to get slanted desks that engineers and that used before it was all done on computers.

Still below line of sight. Apart from the neck-ache the blood would run from your hands and pens might not actually work, otherwise. I've used one of those desks; they give you good overall sight of what you're doing (as you look down over your work).

madhair60

Can't afford a cabinet, Monopoly Man. Mr money fucking bags. Ooh just get a cabinet he says with his silicon valley millions. I can't even afford a fucking casket mate, I'm going in the Ouse. Found caught up in some pondweed being pecked by moorhens. Fucking cabinet cunt.

katzenjammer

Quote from: momatt on April 15, 2019, 01:50:10 PM
Depends what height mate.
Just make sure it's the same level as your eyes when you're watching it.
Then I will approve.

Of course I will.  I'm not a total moron.  I've raised the sofa half a metre

momatt

Quote from: katzenjammer on April 15, 2019, 02:46:03 PM
Of course I will.  I'm not a total moron.  I've raised the sofa half a metre

Ok, this sounds fine.
This is approved.

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on April 15, 2019, 02:44:12 PM
Can't afford a cabinet, Monopoly Man. Mr money fucking bags. Ooh just get a cabinet he says with his silicon valley millions. I can't even afford a fucking casket mate, I'm going in the Ouse. Found caught up in some pondweed being pecked by moorhens. Fucking cabinet cunt.
I say cabinet, I mean rigid stays.

Johnny Textface

Cabinet. Sound bar on top of cabinet on front edge. TV mounted on wall just above soundbar. Pull TV out on mount so it is flush with soundbar. Now then, you now have tonnes of room behind the soundbar. I have a wii u, xbox 360, ps3, wii and various controllers all hidden behind the telly. And if I need to change a hdmi connection or something I just swing the TV out. It's genius. I thought of it.

Twed

I also like to buy surfaces for things and then use complicated rigging so that they hover just above the surface.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Twed on April 15, 2019, 05:59:13 PM
I also like to buy surfaces for things and then use complicated rigging so that they hover just above the surface.

Not complicated just screw it on mate

QDRPHNC

See, I buy a surface then decide what I'll put there. Different strokes.