Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why do people mount TVs on the wall?

Started by Twed, April 14, 2019, 06:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Maybe it's because putting these fucking oversized TVs down where they're sensible makes placing all your other furniture out of its way a problem; you have to decide whether you want a living room or a theatre. Essentially people don't have the room for them.

Twed

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 15, 2019, 06:20:13 PM
Not complicated just screw it on mate
That's the other thing, people put these things up and think that you can just make a hole anywhere in the wall like they're hanging a picture and it's all good. You need to at least mount on wall studs or use a toggle.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Twed on April 15, 2019, 06:44:23 PM
That's the other thing, people put these things up and think that you can just make a hole anywhere in the wall like they're hanging a picture and it's all good. You need to at least mount on wall studs or use a toggle.

I know, just saying to do that is not that hard, to do that.

Obviously the only option if the wall is not good for supporting tvs is to have it on a stand, nobody seems to be implying you can just put them anywhere like a picture frame anyway

gmoney

Why don't people have platinum door knobs? I just don't understand it.

Twed

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 15, 2019, 06:54:36 PM
Obviously the only option if the wall is not good for supporting tvs is to have it on a stand, nobody seems to be implying you can just put them anywhere like a picture frame anyway
It makes me happy that you don't think this Clownbaby, but let me tell you about the people out there. They're idiots, Clownbaby. Just terrible fucking dopes.

Cerys

I want to wall-mount the TV in the living room because of the number of times a cat has wandered in front of the screen and flopped down to wash its genitals - not only between me and the screen, but also in front of the remote sensor.  They've worked out that they get attention by doing that, you see, and choose not to remember the umpteen other ways of achieving the same thing.

Twed

Simply have a stern conversation with the cat.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cerys on April 16, 2019, 08:20:23 PM
I want to wall-mount the TV in the living room because of the number of times a cat has wandered in front of the screen and flopped down to wash its genitals - not only between me and the screen, but also in front of the remote sensor.  They've worked out that they get attention by doing that, you see, and choose not to remember the umpteen other ways of achieving the same thing.

But at what cost, Cerys?  At what cost?  By wall mounting your TV, you are missing out on the adorable spectacle of your cat pawing at the screen and looking behind the TV every time that a bird or fish comes on screen.  If such a glorious display of confusion necessitates the sacrifice of missing a thousand and one programmes, to instead stare at my willfully obtrusive cat, washing her butthole, then so be it.

Cerys

They don't do that.  They're too clever.  I almost feel cheated.

Quote from: Twed on April 16, 2019, 08:43:06 PM
Simply have a stern conversation with the cat.

That tends to result in later unpleasantness involving turds in shoes.  See above.

Twed

Shoe turds are merely a facet of cat communication.

Malcy

I wouldn't and couldn't do it because I don't want the countless cables for 4 external hard drives, 3 consoles, speakers and a blu ray player dangling about and looking ridiculous. My set up is bad enough as it is but at least I can hide all that shit to some extent.

Twed

I'm coming to terms with the mounting of TVs. I think what I really object to are the people I know who insist that a TV must be mounted as a universal default. They should die, and probably will.

NoSleep

Just get a remote for the cat.

Sebastian Cobb

And yet if a family member did that you'd be within your rights to lob the remote right at their dish. It's like there's one rule for family members and another rule for cats.

Malcy

How low down is your TV or how big is your cat?

momatt

Quote from: Malcy on April 16, 2019, 09:52:40 PM
I wouldn't and couldn't do it because I don't want the countless cables for 4 external hard drives, 3 consoles, speakers and a blu ray player dangling about and looking ridiculous.

I like cables and think they look cool.

My TV set-up looks like the final scene in Akira.

Me chilling earlier.

Sebastian Cobb

My telly's on a table but I really need to disconnect everything and tidy the cabling up.