Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts (BBC1)

Started by DrGreggles, April 15, 2019, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

New series from the Horrible Histories/Yonderland gang.
Starts tonight.

bobloblaw

seen it.
typically fun romp from the gang and Farnaby has again shed his cumbersome robes, while Larry Rickard again gives good caveman.
But it's in the wrong slot. One to watch with the older kids, can't imagine a lot of grown-ups watching without them. BBC seems to have judged its too scary for the kids which is nonsense. plus much less rude than Yonderland. should have a late tea-time weekend slot.

kalowski

I liked that. Very funny.

Malcy

Should have been on CBBC with a few tweaks. Laughed at the Pot Pourri bit, when the girl appeared behind the army guy & Farnaby trying to push the vase but it didn't really grab my attention.

I'll stick with it though. It got better as it went on.

kalowski

I thought it was very rich. So many backstories hinted at with those characters.

Bad Ambassador

It seemed like the sort of thing that would be slotted between Newsround and Neighbours 25 years ago, rather than a post-watershed sitcom now. Having said that, very enjoyable and neatly written, with the aforementioned rich characterisations and the fun detail of how ghosts spend their time when there are no living people around.

The twist of a completely separate group of ghosts in the cellar, and that they were likely from a plague pit, was clever, with the added joke that they were just as amiable as those upstairs.

The Guardian review, even though its 4/5, is awful and seems to be based on having the show play in another room while the columnist was cleaning the oven.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 16, 2019, 09:47:42 AM
The twist of a completely separate group of ghosts in the cellar, and that they were likely from a plague pit, was clever, with the added joke that they were just as amiable as those upstairs.

What confused me was they were played by the same people as the ghosts upstairs, weren't they??

kalowski

Odd that people seem to be expecting something more specifically "adult" in the 9.30 slot. I don't mind, as long as it is funny, and this was. I want to know how they died, and I'm sure we'll find out, but we don't need to. My wife fell about laughing every time Farnaby appeared with no trousers on - it wasn't referred to once, was it?
And now the woman can see them, it means the story can be pushed in further.

I much preferred it to the show it replaced in the schedule!

kalowski

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 16, 2019, 12:00:06 PM
What confused me was they were played by the same people as the ghosts upstairs, weren't they??
Ensemble acting, just like Monty Python. I actually think the HH gang are the closest thing to new heirs of Python.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: kalowski on April 16, 2019, 12:01:24 PM
Ensemble acting, just like Monty Python. I actually think the HH gang are the closest thing to new heirs of Python.

Yep - they've always all played multiple roles in all of their projects - also cf. the film Bill.

As a bit of a fan of Horrible Histories, I quite enjoyed this.  Highlight in the first episode for me was the back and forth between the ghost world noise and excitement around trying to move the vase and the silence of the real world ending in the little fart as the vase moves an inch.

It's not uproariously LOL funny, just a perfectly pleasant and calming way to pass half an hour on otherwise mostly shit TV.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 16, 2019, 12:00:06 PM

Two of the upstairs ghosts are played by the same actor (the headless one and the caveman), so I think it's just LoG-style ensemble casting.

SteveDave

Lolly Adefope must have a dosier on someone at the BBC as she can not act.

Other than that I really liked it especially the caveman and Gerard from PeepShow.

gilbertharding

I think I'd quite like a proper, modern, slightly more sophisticated version of Rentaghost.

jobotic

Perfectly suitable for an eight year old who likes a bit of Horrible Histories then?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SteveDave on April 16, 2019, 01:08:05 PM
Lolly Adefope must have a dosier on someone at the BBC as she can not act.

Other than that I really liked it especially the caveman and Gerard from PeepShow.

I disagree, I'm not a fan of her stand up but I really liked her in Partridge, and she's great in Miracle Workers and Shrill as well.

SteveDave

She stunk this up royally.

The Lurker

Quote from: jobotic on April 16, 2019, 02:44:06 PM
Perfectly suitable for an eight year old who likes a bit of Horrible Histories then?

Yes, absolutely.

Really enjoyed it, myself. Looking forward to the next ep.

MidnightShambler

Just watched it, I thought it was brilliant. There'll be loads of mileage in how each one died, probably a reveal every week. The Scout Leader and the MP are standouts so far, the only character that got on my tits a bit was the Romantic poet but even he wasn't that bad.

The Moroccan Tea Party line makes me think the MP is gonna turn out like a Baxter Basics.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 16, 2019, 12:05:59 PM
excitement around trying to move the vase

Yes, I also liked the practice session with the cup. You have special effects when the mp fails to move it but when he's successful, it's just Simon Farnaby pushing a cup.

Norton Canes

This was 100 kinds of brilliant.

Norton Canes

And played to perfection by the entire cast, I thought. Lolly Adefope's character was about the least explored in this first episode so it seems reasonable to suspend judgement until she has more to do.

I've only seen her in two major roles - TT-WAP and that social worker thing, and in both she plays a pretty intractable character. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing her do 'light'.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 16, 2019, 07:51:15 PM
This was 100 kinds of brilliant.

Yes, it was great.
That ensemble have got a 100% hit rate from what I've seen.

Alberon

Yonderland was a great deal of fun, but mostly hidden away on Sky One and it's good to see them back with a new show. Lots of silliness and genuinely good fun. As mentioned, having the MP wandering around without trousers but never referring to it once was perfect.

If it harks back to anything it isn't Rentaghost, but The Ghosts of Motley Hall which was an ITV show for kids. That also had ghosts from different eras (though no caveman) haunting a dilapidated Manor House.

Virgo76

Excellent stuff.
Looking forward to finding out why the mighty Simon Farnaby's MP had no trousers on.
Altogether now: "Stupid deaths, Stupid deaths..."

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Sounds like a "Ghosts Of Motley Hall" rip-off (they've even nicked part of the title).

Edit: Didn't read Alberon's ghost post before posting this.

neveragain

How did I not get that Farnaby was an MP? Was that actually mentioned?

Virgo76

I think he mentioned a by-election win.

neveragain

Norton Canes

Er... how do the MP and the caveman manage to play chess? Does the MP spend five minutes moving each piece, or is the joke that they never actually move them..?