Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts (BBC1)

Started by DrGreggles, April 15, 2019, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Just been on another comedy forum where there was endless discussion about the racial and gender composition of the cast.
I'm pleased this is a better site than that.

SteveDave

SteveDave mentions his dislike of Lolly Adefope. She didn't get better.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 23, 2019, 08:50:10 AM
Just been on another comedy forum where there was endless discussion about the racial and gender composition of the cast.
I'm pleased this is a better site than that.

The British Comedy Guide website (the definitive article isn't in the actual name of the forum, but it's heavily implied...)?

Fucking hell - I know a lot of them like it and are defending it, but that arsehole who referred to 'the annoying black female ghost'. Fucking hell.

I know Lolly Adefope has critics here, too. I like her. Great in This Time - absolutely perfect as a nemesis for Alan. And she is playing annoying in Ghosts. It's shtick.

Quote from: some wankerI'll also hold on to the hope that somebody would be so kind as to give me, a would be writer, some examples of what tickled their fancy to assist in my quest to understand what qualifies as worthy of commission these days.
[...]
Sorry, I have little formal education and at times I struggle to make myself understood; I even feel slightly intimidated when posting on BCG.

To further what Rood Eye kindly says, I'm trying to understand the methodology behind today's commissioning process. A fools errand?
I believe this may assist me in trying to assimilate a better suited writing style currently required.
Whether it will make me a better writer is extremely questionable! But that's not the point.

Whilst thus far I have found Ghosts to be unfunny that doesn't make it so.
If I can gain even a slight comprehension as to what 'works' in Ghosts then maybe it will help me. Maybe not.

Blimey.

And another one hits the nail on the head here:

Quote from: some other wanker (oh - it's RoodEye)Wise words, to which I would add that even if you submit the most brilliant sitcom script in the history of television, it will very probably be tossed into the nearest bin if the characters are not:

50% women - at least!

15% non-Caucasian - at least!

8% disabled - at least!

8% LGBT - at least!

When I say "characters", the inclusion of the above percentages of the above characters in any capacity will render your script worthy of consideration but, if you want your script to be considered seriously, those characters really need to be in leading roles.

As if it hasn't occurred to him that 'lesbians, disableds and blacks' (sic) aren't people, just like him. Although it's just occurred to me that he might have some kind of undiagnosed learning disability which makes me the bad guy... tricky, isn't it?

Virgo76

Quote from: SteveDave on May 23, 2019, 12:12:02 PM
SteveDave mentions his dislike of Lolly Adefope. She didn't get better.

Lolly's fine.
Although disliking her isn't in itself a sexist/racist statement anyway.

I enjoyed (from the "other" forum):
"All in all, therefore, "Ghosts" represents quite a powerful hand in the game of ethnic Top Trumps."

That's er...exactly what we were all thinking. I'm sure. Ahem...

gilbertharding

I'll be honest - whenever I watch a modern costume drama or something, I do notice that there are now black characters (or extras) being cast where there wouldn't have been a few years ago.

But that's fine. Firstly there have always been black people in Britain, and secondly it's not that long ago that the film Notting Hill was criticised for whitewashing a famously vibrant part of London without anyone apparently noticing it (until it was pointed out).

remedial_gash

I wondered which 'other comedy forum' there was, if any? Can't wait to read that shit now as am incredibly pissed off, plus Ghosts was pretty decent overall, could hardly get through ep5 but 6 was joyous, in a low key way.

Norton Canes

I was a little disappointed Kitty's ethnicity wasn't mentioned, because coming from the 18th century (at least that's my guess - possibly Victorian?), was she brought over as a slave? Would've been interesting to find out.

But then the one thing I'd change about the show would be to add more backstory to all the characters (sometimes even in the form of flashbacks) in the way they did for Pat.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 23, 2019, 04:35:07 PM
But then the one thing I'd change about the show would be to add more backstory to all the characters (sometimes even in the form of flashbacks) in the way they did for Pat.

Exactly what they're planning for future series surely?

Twed

I did end up enjoying Lolly in this. She really settled into her character, and did a good job appearing naive and sweet.

McFlymo

I was a little disappointed Kitty's ethnicity wasn't mentioned, because coming from the 18th century (at least that's my guess - possibly Victorian?), was she brought over as a slave? Would've been interesting to find out.

I thought it was obvious from episode 1 that she was a servant, which had all the awkward slavery / colonialism / historical context of racism implied. Also her being naive and innocent played into the idea of the Stockholm syndrome people of colour would probably experience when their conditions are normalised over time.

But maybe I was reading too much into it.

Also, wouldn't it be great if there were so many non-white actors on TV that conversations about the casting of non-white people became about as relevant as having discussion about the proportion of long haired versus short haired people?

White people suck. Thanks!

shh

I was a little disappointed Kitty's ethnicity wasn't mentioned, because coming from the 18th century (at least that's my guess - possibly Victorian?), was she brought over as a slave?

Slaves in Victorian England? good god what do they teach kids these days

Also by assuming a black actress is playing a black personage I think you're going against the grain of contemporary thought re realism in casting (dev patel as david copperfield, etc).

Alberon

Strong last episode, and liked the pigeon call back. Generally enjoyed this series, though maybe if they bring it back they try and feature one of the ghosts in each episode rather than trying to give them all something to do every week.

But it definitely deserves a second run.

Twed

Quote from: Alberon on May 23, 2019, 11:18:25 PM
Strong last episode, and liked the pigeon call back. Generally enjoyed this series, though maybe if they bring it back they try and feature one of the ghosts in each episode rather than trying to give them all something to do every week.
I'm guessing they're saving some stuff up, hopefully for a second series.

Virgo76

I was a little disappointed Kitty's ethnicity wasn't mentioned, because coming from the 18th century (at least that's my guess - possibly Victorian?)

She definitely had more of an 18th century look about her, I would say.

Virgo76

Quote from: remedial_gash on May 23, 2019, 04:29:11 PM
I wondered which 'other comedy forum' there was, if any? Can't wait to read that shit now as am incredibly pissed off, plus Ghosts was pretty decent overall, could hardly get through ep5 but 6 was joyous, in a low key way.

Arguing about it with them is a thankless task, I can tell you.

Bently Sheds

Series 2 confirmed by several cast members on Twitter. Chew on that, other comedy forum wankers!

Norton Canes

Get in get in get in get in get in get in get in get in

Alberon

Johnny Yesno

neveragain

kalowski

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 28, 2019, 07:55:59 AM
Get in get in get in get in get in get in get in get in
I don't know if this was your intention but this made think of Jim Howick's George IV.

DrGreggles

Quote from: kalowski on May 29, 2019, 07:32:19 AM
I don't know if this was your intention but this made think of Jim Howick's George IV.

kalowski

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 29, 2019, 08:02:00 AM

It's a brilliant sketch. Worth watching the outtake where his dancing causes the corpsing.

Norton Canes

Quote from: kalowski on May 29, 2019, 07:32:19 AM
I don't know if this was your intention but this made think of Jim Howick's George IV

Heh. It was supposed to be a riff on Mary's "Get out get out get out get out get out get out get out get out..."

The Lurker

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 23, 2019, 12:25:44 PM
The British Comedy Guide website (the definitive article isn't in the actual name of the forum, but it's heavily implied...)?

Fucking hell - I know a lot of them like it and are defending it, but that arsehole who referred to 'the annoying black female ghost'. Fucking hell.

I know Lolly Adefope has critics here, too. I like her. Great in This Time - absolutely perfect as a nemesis for Alan. And she is playing annoying in Ghosts. It's shtick.

Blimey.

And another one hits the nail on the head here:

As if it hasn't occurred to him that 'lesbians, disableds and blacks' (sic) aren't people, just like him. Although it's just occurred to me that he might have some kind of undiagnosed learning disability which makes me the bad guy... tricky, isn't it?

I've been critical of Lolly on here but, in fairness, I liked her in Ghosts and it has to be said that she was brilliant in This Time with AP.

gilbertharding

I hope it goes without saying that everyone has complete permission to like and dislike anyone they like.

It was the leap from "I don't like her, yet she's suddenly in a lot of stuff I don't like anyway" to "she must be fulfilling some kind of quota and I'm the only one who's brave enough to point this out" which was so... well, not just racist, but so breathtakingly stupid and racist. The British Comedy Guide.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 30, 2019, 04:55:02 PM
I hope it goes without saying that everyone has complete permission to like and dislike anyone they like.

It goes without saying that I like what I like, but I'm not going start disliking someone I like just to avoid stating the bleedin' obvious.

neveragain

Alberon

That's good news. It's nice to see a series given a chance to develope.