Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts (BBC1)

Started by DrGreggles, April 15, 2019, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

I got the impression they keep the positions all in their heads and the caveman wins most of the time.

Glyn

Quote from: neveragain on April 17, 2019, 08:56:14 AM
How did I not get that Farnaby was an MP? Was that actually mentioned?
The 'newsnight-esque' politician's answers to 'did you push her' was the best bit I thought.

Very glad this was actually good, they are a great ensemble but  Yonderland never quite fully clicked with me despite some great moments.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Alberon on April 17, 2019, 03:17:44 PM
I got the impression they keep the positions all in their heads and the caveman wins most of the time.

Yes, iirc they didn't even have a board.

Bad Ambassador

I think the board was incorporated into the table. Even so, it's something that ought to have been thought through a bit better.

studpuppet

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 18, 2019, 01:51:03 PM
I think the board was incorporated into the table. Even so, it's something that ought to have been thought through a bit better.

I had the impression that the board (for there was a board inlaid into the wood) and pieces were set up in a way that they've been musing about since time immemorial. Basically any move the debagged* politician makes, the caveman will shake his head, and tell him the moves through to checkmate without either having to move a piece.**

*I'm hoping his death will be the consequence of a classic old-school debagging, and not anything sexual.

**In fact, the unfinished chess game may end up being important in one of the other characters' deaths? I'm overthinking this aren't I?

phantom_power

Quote from: SteveDave on April 16, 2019, 01:08:05 PM
Lolly Adefope must have a dosier on someone at the BBC as she can not act.

I don't mind her but I have noticed a sort of "Podcast Generation" of comedians breaking through at the moment, who all appear on the same podcasts and seem to have sunk into public consciousness. Lolly is one of them, along with Brett Goldstein, Lou Sanders and others

It's how she's getting high profile American film work that puzzles me. A supporting character in The Spy Who Dumped Me last year and MI Fallout. Admittedly it's a blink and you'll miss it thing in Fallout.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 18, 2019, 01:51:03 PM

I've watched it back and you are correct. It's so dusty, though, that you can barely see the squares. I can also confirm that even though the players do lots of pointing, none of the pieces get moved.

shh

The main posh bird in this is good (voice is uncannily similar to Olivia Poulet). I just saw her in another sitcom, Dead Pixels on E4, she'd been given a pretty dreadful role (along with all the other actors I might add). Liked Farnaby's Blair-y impersonation too, although the sleaze implications suggest more late tories.

I suppose Steve Oram was just a one-off cameo?

Captain Z

Quote from: shh on April 20, 2019, 11:28:18 PM
The main posh bird in this is good (voice is uncannily similar to Olivia Poulet). I just saw her in another sitcom, Dead Pixels on E4, she'd been given a pretty dreadful role (along with all the other actors I might add).

Yes, I like Charlotte Ritchie. She's probably most well known for playing Oregon in 'Fresh Meat', although apparently she was in 'Call The Midwife' for a few series too. But for me her best character is Hannah in the arguably underrated 'Siblings' (currently all on iplayer).

Was about to start a thread on Dead Pixels. Only one episode in but I thought it was decent enough.

Alberon

Not quite as strong a second episode but now Alison has accepted the ghosts are real it might settle down a bit. I think Robin the caveman stole the show again and I really liked his impression of a bear who became aware of the dead. It's a bit of a shame it looks like the MP did die in a sex game gone wrong as that's more than a bit cliche, but maybe there is more to that story.

I do like that the ghosts in the cellar are all boiler maintenance experts as they have had nothing else to concentrate on in decades.

olliebean

Wasn't keen on the second episode; I felt that in making an episode about how annoying the Ghosts could be they fell into the trap of making them annoying for the viewer as well. As you say, hopefully they will calm down a bit now.

DrGreggles

Probably not as good as the opener, but still pretty good I thought.

SteveDave

I thought it was great. Apart from Lolly Adefope's at once over-and-under-acting.

kalowski

Interesting how it was written by Larry Rickard, whereas ep 1 was written by Howick and Baynton. I'll be interested to see how the writing is shared out in later episodes.

DrGreggles

Quote from: kalowski on April 23, 2019, 06:23:52 PM
Interesting how it was written by Larry Rickard, whereas ep 1 was written by Howick and Baynton. I'll be interested to see how the writing is shared out in later episodes.

Yonderland was done the same way.
The 'writer(s)' of the episode essentially deals with the story arc, but they all contribute lines to the script.

neveragain

Quote from: SteveDave on April 23, 2019, 01:38:49 PM
I thought it was great. Apart from Lolly Adefope's at once over-and-under-acting.

She's getting a disproportionate amount of flack. Not saying it was brilliant but her performance wasn't abhorrent either.

kalowski

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 23, 2019, 06:31:40 PM
Yonderland was done the same way.
The 'writer(s)' of the episode essentially deals with the story arc, but they all contribute lines to the script.
Ah, thanks. I missed Yonderland.

Twed

I feel like the main woman watched a lot of Spaced when she was younger

Norton Canes

I love this so much. TT-WAP and Fleabag have been recent comedy highlights but this outdoes them both. It balances the comedy, characterisation and plot development perfectly, and the spooky movie tropes are pitched at just the right level too. The scene with the doctor was exactly the sort of thing Steven Moffat would've come up with.

I just Googled "There's a lark in the bushel". It's not an actual song.

Malcy

Only enjoyed the last few minutes of this week's. It was doing my head in until she accepted the ghosts existence and they shut the fuck up. I thoughy the husband/boyfriend was just a builder who had been hired at first. I couldn't have told you what he looked like before that.

Norton Canes

But you saw him in the first episode..?

Malcy

kalowski

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 26, 2019, 10:56:03 AM
But you saw him in the first episode..?
"They all look alike to me"

olliebean

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 26, 2019, 10:31:25 AMThe scene with the doctor was exactly the sort of thing Steven Moffat would've come up with.

That was probably my favourite scene of the episode, though unfortunately spoiled by showing the punchline in the trailer that was on before Not Going Out.

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on April 26, 2019, 05:10:57 PM
That was probably my favourite scene of the episode, though unfortunately spoiled by showing the punchline in the trailer that was on before Not Going Out.

Mine too and i would have enjoyed it more had i not seen it about a dozen times over the week!

SteveDave

Quote from: Twed on April 24, 2019, 12:53:37 AM
I feel like the main woman watched a lot of Spaced when she was younger

She looks like the child of Jessica Stevenson/Hynes and Margot Kidder.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: olliebean on April 26, 2019, 05:10:57 PM

Oh, ffs, really? What were they thinking?

j_u_d_a_s

Watched the first couple of episodes and IMO it's both over and under written.

My main criticism is that after 2 episodes I can't actually name any of the characters. And, apart from Charlotte Ritchie and her partner, they all exist as broad caricatures usually defined by their deaths. And over the first two eps, not a lot happens. There's the introduction of the mystery arc* (who pushed the old lady and CR out the window) and now CR is able to communicate with the ghosts and... that's it. The rest of it is filled up with free floating sketches (like that interminable sequence where they try and taunt CR to get out which seemed to last fucking forever) and gags that could be said by literally anyone. Like a lot of Yonderland, it's all so ephemeral and lacks the joy and verve of the Python movies (and yeah I agree it is a bit unfair to compare the cast to one of the greatest troupes that ever were but the pythons clearly are a big influence on this and their other work)

They've clearly had fun coming up with funny lines and their heart is in the right place. But this is really thin stuff that belongs on a Sunday afternoon instead of post watershed Monday evenings.

Bently Sheds

It was firmly established in the first episode that Lady Button was pushed out of the bedroom window after walking in on her husband having a threesome with two of the male help.