Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts (BBC1)

Started by DrGreggles, April 15, 2019, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

In the last episode everyone is nude because the man falls out of a window too.

Virgo76

Better yesterday. A return to form, I thought.

SteveDave

The start of the third episode had me howling. Poor Ken. His walk to the bus with an arrow in his neck was solid gold.

Norton Canes

Quote from: SteveDave on May 07, 2019, 04:29:12 PM
The start of the third episode had me howling. Poor Ken. His walk to the bus with an arrow in his neck was solid gold

You mean Pat? Yeah, that opening scene was simultaneously hilarious and horrifying, and impeccably played by Jim Howick.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 07, 2019, 04:15:42 PM
Better yesterday. A return to form, I thought.

Yes, I think episode 4 has been the best so far.

Norton Canes

Still very much loving it. Can't pretend it's the most intricately plotted or challenging comedy around, and OK I wasn't hooting all the way through, but the sheer enthusiasm of the hugely talented cast and the inventiveness with which they're portraying their characters' various foibles is buoying me along. And come on, "an egg atop a cutlet" - that's up there with the finest Partridgisms.

SteveDave

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 07, 2019, 05:11:42 PM
You mean Pat? Yeah, that opening scene was simultaneously hilarious and horrifying, and impeccably played by Jim Howick.

Durrr yes Pat. I am very tired. I'm 3 days without caffeine based drinks and am uyvolhlkj.l;bvc

Bently Sheds

"You gonna put an egg on it? HE'S PUT AN EGG ON IT!!!"

kalowski

It's great. Ben Willbond is excellent as the army captain. In fact, everyone is good in it: ghosts or living.

Crabwalk

Get rid of all the ghosts apart from Katy Wix's and Simon Farnaby's I say. 'Wulf, Cobbra and John Fashanu' was the best moment of the series so far.

DrGreggles

Geoff McGivern is a guest on tonight's episode.

Norton Canes

Hope he plays an evil ghost. There has to be an evil ghost episode surely.

kalowski

Very good tonight. Very funny.
Robin singing to the moon had me in fits of laughter and the Captain's, "Could that be any more vexing," was lovely.

DrGreggles

The character traits of the ghosts are nicely established now, shame there's only one episode left.
Really hope it gets another series.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on April 28, 2019, 12:51:32 AM
They've clearly had fun coming up with funny lines and their heart is in the right place. But this is really thin stuff that belongs on a Sunday afternoon instead of post watershed Monday evenings.

I honestly can't remember the last time there was anything worth watching on a Sunday afternoon OR post watershed Monday evenings.

neveragain

I liked Julian, unimpressed, saying, "It's a compact disc."

Was it stated why Robin is called Robin, instead of some Neanderthal grunting noise?

Norton Canes

I presume Alison will continue to see the pigeon...

kalowski

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 14, 2019, 01:21:15 PM
Not everything becomes a ghost, we saw that in Ep 1, but that's a nice call.

gilbertharding

Quote from: SteveDave on May 07, 2019, 04:29:12 PM
The start of the third episode had me howling. Poor Pat. His walk to the bus with an arrow in his neck was solid gold.

Yes, beautifully done. Obviously it had to be, because there was no suspense about WHAT was going to happen - only HOW. The way he remained completely 'calm' (offering the bus keys to one of the kids before thinking better of it).

The bus crashing into the tree was a masterful full-stop.

Norton Canes

And comments like "You don't want to see this in your dreams" and "It's cold, innit..." made it so chilling.

Still holding out for an evil ghost, a malignant spirit that the rest have to cooperate to dispel. Also reckon the series' final episode will end with some way for Mike to get a glimpse of the ghosts.

Mostly though, I'm hoping we'll find out how the enigmatic Captain bit the dust. I'm guessing one of his man-crushes might have something to do with it, but Julian's already cornered the sordid sexual death angle, so who knows. There's no sign of a fatal injury... poison perhaps? Heart attack?

Icehaven

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 16, 2019, 05:06:35 PM

Mostly though, I'm hoping we'll find out how the enigmatic Captain bit the dust. I'm guessing one of his man-crushes might have something to do with it, but Julian's already cornered the sordid sexual death angle, so who knows. There's no sign of a fatal injury... poison perhaps? Heart attack?

Lot of old houses were used as training bases or hospitals during the wars so I reckon that might be why he was there.

gilbertharding

The finale was good. I think Robin is my favourite ghost: "Cooked - I'm not an animal."

And the politician one - the way he points (for rhetorical emphasis) without using his finger is something Blair used to do, IIRC.

phes

Loved the easy first episode. Total unmitigated shite thereafter. I ditched before the finale. The procession of shit foes reminded me of Derek. Would rather have seen the conflict between the ghosts and the couple remain rooted in the couple's differences, if they'd had any chemistry.

DrGreggles

Really enjoyed this series.
Simon Farnaby and Ben Wilibond were the stand out ghosts for me.

olliebean

Did every episode have an all-the-ghosts-talking-loudly-at-once-and-being-really-annoying scene? It felt like that happened every week.

Tikwid

Caught up with this series halfway through its run and it was an absolute joy - honestly very refreshing, as many commentators have pointed out, to see something unashamedly silly and gag-heavy - almost like a live action cartoon - in this era of sadcoms and dramedys. Some genuinely quite spooky and emotional moments too (Pat's death and encounter with his family respectively). Did think some of the core conceits got repetitive, and the last episode was more abrupt of an ending than I expected, but I suppose it leaves things open for a second series (hopefully with more variations on those conceits to come).

Best line? For me it'd have to be "When you first came here......I thought you were a prostitute"

Twed

It feels like a last gasp at making something that feels like it comes from before 2002, or something. I love it for that, and the fact that it's good.

Virgo76

Good series. Hope it returns.

Who played the estate agent in the last episode? She looked familiar.

Crabwalk

^ Rosie Cavaliero. Good value as ever.

It's a nice show and I think with some tweaks it could become something very good, but I did find the series a bit of a chore after the first episode. Trying to give everyone something to do in each episode - sometimes even in each scene - makes it feel very cluttered.

McFlymo

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 14, 2019, 01:21:15 PM

Good call. You were vindicated in the opening scene of the last episode.

I quite liked this. I'd be keen for a series 2 and hopefully the BBC don't drag their heels over it.