Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More climate change protests in Central London

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 15, 2019, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Quote from: Josef K on April 17, 2019, 12:19:49 PM2. They've been encouraging people to get arrested to get 'legitimacy' as a protest movement, confident in their privilege that they can just walk away.

I support XR but this is a problematic aspect of their tactics. It could quite easily result in the government passing more draconian anti-protest laws. Not to mention that even if you are privileged enough to afford being arrested, it's still a mentally exhausting procedure to go through.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on April 17, 2019, 01:58:01 PM
Never minding the fact that a) a career in education is stressful, underpaid and largely unrewarding and b) he doesn't seem to have done a day's work in his own life unless his job is posting here.

jelus

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 17, 2019, 02:14:45 PM
jelus

I certainly think he is in no position to judge anyone who uses dedicated holiday time to go on a march.  And the laughable notion that he is in any form working class, never mind fighting the powerful and undeserving upper-classes with their self-serving climate change marches deserves nothing but endless contempt.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on April 17, 2019, 01:58:01 PM
Just want to point out that titbo is sneering at people who work in education, by the way, purely on the basis of their holiday time.  He deems these people over-wealthy layabouts.

Never minding the fact that a) a career in education is stressful, underpaid and largely unrewarding and b) he doesn't seem to have done a day's work in his own life unless his job is posting here.

This is entirely in your imagination.

----

4 protesters have glued themselves together outside Jeremy Corbyn's house now. I wonder why they'd target him? Cos they know where he lives due to the BBC constantly doorstepping him?

Fambo Number Mive

They want Corbyn to meet with them, I presume. It would be a good idea for senior Labour figures to meet with the protestors.

Some more detail from the Guardian:

QuoteAt about 2pm four protesters, including one Labour councillor, arrived outside the Labour leader's home in north London and chained and glued themselves to a fence.

Two hours later, Corbyn left his home saying he never gave interviews, or arranged meetings outside his house. The protesters had earlier offered some flowers to his wife but she returned them.

A Labour source said Corbyn would happily talk to the group but did not arrange interviews outside his house.

After he left two of the four protesters were in tears. "We completely understand his position and we are so sorry that they are upset," said one. "We are mortified but we felt we had to do this."

Earlier, one of the protesters, David Lambert, 60, who walked from Stroud in Gloucestershire to join the Extinction Rebellion protests, said: "We are here because we are supporters of Jeremy Corbyn and he is the best hope this country has got to get us out of this. But we need system change and a transformation of our consumer economy and we know he is a person who has the authority and power to deliver that."

The group said it had been heartened by Labour's declaration of a climate emergency and its plans for a transformative "green industrial revolution" but said they were there as "critical friends" to urge the party to go further.

Another member of the group, Skeena Rathor, a Labour councillor from Stroud, said: "Jeremy Corbyn is the only leader that can deliver these things for us and we are here to support that."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/17/extinction-rebellion-halt-london-docklands-trains-carriage

So it looks like Corbyn would have spoken to the group if they just asked rather than gluing themselves to his fence and then asking.

Replies From View

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 17, 2019, 04:36:08 PM
They want Corbyn to meet with them, I presume. It would be a good idea for senior Labour figures to meet with the protestors.

I hope the unnecessary glue is environmentally sensible, at least.

Quote from: Noonling on April 17, 2019, 10:38:30 AM
From BBC photos it looks more like people approaching retirement

Fucking gammons, I knew it

metaltax

chveik

Quote from: metaltax on April 17, 2019, 08:58:32 PM
Have they changed the world yet?

well they've probably changed it more than people whining about hippies on a comedy forum.

hummingofevil

I went down to Waterloo Bridge today. As someone who is sympathetic to the cause but hates hippy shite I have to say that I experienced the following:

Pros

- On small scale its quite impressive - they have set up camp and shut down the bridge.
- They are getting way more publicity than I thought they would from it.
- Its actually a rather lovely experience wandering across a serene, traffic-free environment that has been taken over by the people.

Cons

- Its a hippy enclave. Regardless of the quality of their argument they will always lose the rhetorical war with many as its a load of hippies playing bongos and spouting shite spoken word poetry. Its an aesthetic clusterfuck.
- Its had minimal effect on the wider system as, ironically, the London public transport system is so insanely brilliant that adding an extra 10 mins onto 55 different bus routes as a tiny, tiny, effect on 99.9% of London transport. I genuinely believe that most of those on the protest have no idea about the reality of public transport outside of London bubble - an accusation that suggests that, at its core, XR are a clueless to the reality of the daily routines of most people.

BlodwynPig

That's why I came to the conclusion that the only solution is...no people...or Manifesto 62

Stoneage Dinosaurs

If I lived in London I could try to circumvent the bus disruption by getting on my bike instead and just gunning it across the protest zone with no spatial awareness, swerving indiscriminately through drum circles and healing tents, just plowing right into shoals of hippies simply to get from A to B and ignoring all the dislocated placards and writhing bodies in my wake. Do you think they'd mind that or would they be all "fair enough pal I understand why you're doing this. Even though my legs are completely smashed and ruined, our governments and the corporations have lied about the impeding catastrophic effects of climate change, and that is why you are cycling like a complete penis. Godspeed fellow human of earth"?
Not trying to do a wind up or owt, I think they're all doing a very important stuff. It's just that I need to be in London on friday and I'm just trying to figure out if that would work as a reasonable course of action.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 18, 2019, 12:51:00 AM
That's why I came to the conclusion that the only solution is...no people...or Manifesto 62

I have always argued the best place to be in all out nuclear war is right under the first strike. But this week I have discovered the viewpoint at Parliament Hill on Hampstead Heath. To watch London vaporise knowing the irradiated backdraft is coming for me within seconds is an ultimate bucketlister.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on April 18, 2019, 01:05:18 AM
If I lived in London I could try to circumvent the bus disruption by getting on my bike instead and just gunning it across the protest zone with no spatial awareness, swerving indiscriminately through drum circles and healing tents, just plowing right into shoals of hippies simply to get from A to B and ignoring all the dislocated placards and writhing bodies in my wake. Do you think they'd mind that or would they be all "fair enough pal I understand why you're doing this. Even though my legs are completely smashed and ruined, our governments and the corporations have lied about the impeding catastrophic effects of climate change, and that is why you are cycling like a complete penis. Godspeed fellow human of earth"?
Not trying to do a wind up or owt, I think they're all doing a very important stuff. It's just that I need to be in London on friday and I'm just trying to figure out if that would work as a reasonable course of action.

Statistically, it will have zero effect on your day. That's what so mad about it. "major disruption" equals nothing more than a shrug. London is fucking massive.

metaltax

Quote from: chveik on April 17, 2019, 09:12:13 PM
well they've probably changed it more than people whining about hippies on a comedy forum.

No, I'd say they've changed it about the same amount, just with a lot more disruption and annoyance to more people.

Buelligan

Just imagine how irritated they're going to be when they find out they've killed the planet and now it's going to take them with it.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Buelligan on April 18, 2019, 06:47:54 AM
Just imagine how irritated they're going to be when they find out they've killed the planet and now it's going to take them with it.

Imagine that and then compounding it with having to accept the hippies were right all along. That's why we so utterly fucked (on many things not just climate change TBF). The common thread in right-wing thinking that is all the rage right now is to have a complete lack of empathy for anything unless that same thing has a direct impact on oneself. Total empathy vacuums.

It will take for people to literally start boiling to death for them to accept they are wrong and I keep coming back to vision that if humanity is wiped out tomorrow then there is a very real possibility that ironically enough, Donald Trump would be the last living person ever. Humanity's epitaph.

biggytitbo

So serious question, if we're in a climate emergency that needs a drastic reorganisation of society and the economy how can we also support the EU?

There's a climate emergency but we must be in a customs union that makes it easier to fly a grape from Spain?

There's a climate emergency but we must be in the single market with freedom of movement that entails millions of unnessary plane journeys?

But if we leave the EU, the planes will be grounded! Aren't planes the most environmentally destructive things there is....So err good?

Something doesn't add up here.

Buelligan

Well, you know biggy I'm in the EU, I mean right in it.  I don't even have a car.

biggytitbo

I'm not sure that really answers my questions!

Buelligan

Well they're stupid questions.  How does Britain being in the EU create more use of air travel?  How do you imagine leaving the EU will change the use of aeroplanes for trade, business or personal reasons by either the British or citizens of the EU?

Of course Nigel Farage, who I understand you intend to vote for in the forthcoming EU elections, takes pride in his ignorance on this subject (as on many others).

Sin Agog

Nigel Farage is so passionate about dismantling the planes that he forgets to get out of them first.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on April 18, 2019, 07:18:56 AM
Well they're stupid questions.  How does Britain being in the EU create more use of air travel?  How do you imagine leaving the EU will change the use of aeroplanes for trade, business or personal reasons by either the British or citizens of the EU?

AKA we need drastic measures but none of them include taking my goodies away from me.

I mean this is the same argument as, why do we bother doing anything when China and India combined are so much worse?

hummingofevil

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 18, 2019, 07:21:25 AM
Nigel Farage is so passionate about dismantling the planes that he forgets to get out of them first.

Smile.

The simple answer to Biggy's question is that broad, multi-national organisations like EU can and do coordinate a unified approach to environmental regulation. That they don't go far enough is a reasonable enough complaint but a future alternative of a cut-the-red-tape (regulations) for a race-to-the-bottom economic model of individual nations competing to undercut each other will be disastrous.

Plane travel is something that will need to be addressed and it's one area where I disagree strongly with XR's stance but I have to admit I don't really have a counter argument either.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: metaltax on April 18, 2019, 05:43:46 AM
No, I'd say they've changed it about the same amount, just with a lot more disruption and annoyance to more people.

Yes they really should raise awareness quietly in a shed.

I am happy you are so unhappy. I hope they do it again to you.

metaltax

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 18, 2019, 07:56:07 AM
Yes they really should raise awareness quietly in a shed.

I am happy you are so unhappy. I hope they do it again to you.

I never said I was unhappy. I live 200 miles away from it.

hummingofevil

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 18, 2019, 07:51:25 AM

AKA we need drastic measures but none of them include taking my goodies away from me.

I mean this is the same argument as, why do we bother doing anything when China and India combined are so much worse?

China's economy has gone though in 40 years what the western world did in 250. Yes it's true about the new coal power station a week (a fortnight?) but they are already investing heavily in renewables. The obvious point is that no matter how rich an individual is, the one thing they have to share with the poor is air and there are plenty of people living in smog-heavy mega cities who realise that their own policies are killing them. So they planning on doing something about it...

Just out of interest what do you propose we do? More fracking? Dig out the arctic? Whatever big industry feels like doing and fuck it regardless?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: metaltax on April 18, 2019, 07:57:11 AM
I never said I was unhappy. I live 200 miles away from it.

You are moaning and come across that way. All the same I hope tomorrow you live 0.1 miles from it.

biggytitbo

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 18, 2019, 07:51:42 AM
Smile.

The simple answer to Biggy's question is that broad, multi-national organisations like EU can and do coordinate a unified approach to environmental regulation. That they don't go far enough is a reasonable enough complaint but a future alternative of a cut-the-red-tape (regulations) for a race-to-the-bottom economic model of individual nations competing to undercut each other will be disastrous.

We can't coordinate unified environmental measures with other countries without being in a customs union with them? Or a single market with freedom of movement? These are environmentally destructive things at the heart of the EU project so it seems like an exceptionist argument to me.

Isn't the best thing the UK can do in a global sense - work locally, get our food locally and stop flying food in from abroad, take our holidays locally?

Uncle TechTip