Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:18:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More climate change protests in Central London

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 15, 2019, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

She's leading the way for mankind returning to cave dwelling though, I see myself a prized shaman like figure valued for my ability to quote episodes of Blackadder to entertain the tribes young hunters.

Replies From View

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 18, 2019, 10:12:36 AM
I think they chose to glue themselves to the DLR as it goes through Canary Wharf where Shell are based.

I'd love to glue myself to all the workers in the Canary Wharf area on the same basis, mainly because it would take ages and moderately inconvenience everyone who gets roped in.

jobotic

Fambo Number Mive

Blunkett doesn't explain why Extinction Rebellion are anarchists. Or why this would make any difference to their message.

gilbertharding

Yep - I only have to look at the names of the people who are against them to know which side I'm on.

"Give me convenience, or give me death," as they say.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on April 18, 2019, 12:56:49 PM
I'd love to glue myself to all the workers in the Canary Wharf area on the same basis, mainly because it would take ages and moderately inconvenience everyone who gets roped in.

We know what kind of 'glue' you'd use too.

Blumf

Quote from: greenman on April 18, 2019, 12:10:19 PM
She's leading the way for mankind returning to cave dwelling though, I see myself a prized shaman like figure valued for my ability to quote episodes of Blackadder to entertain the tribes young hunters.

"But Shaman Greenman, how Baldrick eat Turnip all time? Such luxury. Is Baldrick powerful chieftain of big tribe?"

biggytitbo

Aside from 'please panic' and 'tell the truth', the substantive specific aim of XR is to reduce our carbon emissions to zero by 2025, 25 years earlier than projected - a target so punishing on our economy it would make the much publicised apocalyptic consequences of 'no deal' look like a stroll in the park.

How about we 'tell the truth' about that? Tell people how much stuff they'd have to give up, how many jobs would be lost, businesses destroyed, lifestyles affected etc?

Would people be on board with that if they knew the truth? Especially when they learn the UK's emissions are such a tiny fraction of global that these massive sacrifices would essentially be for nought? Instead, isn't the real aim of for the UK to find a balance and gradually transition to a more sustainable energy model, rather than rushing to try and save the world?

gilbertharding

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 18, 2019, 03:22:00 PM
Aside from 'please panic' and 'tell the truth', the substantive specific aim of XR is to reduce our carbon emissions to zero by 2025, 25 years earlier than projected - a target so punishing on our economy it would make the much publicised apocalyptic consequences of 'no deal' look like a stroll in the park.

How about we 'tell the truth' about that? Tell people how much stuff they'd have to give up, how many jobs would be lost, businesses destroyed, lifestyles affected etc?

Would people be on board with that if they knew the truth? Especially when they learn the UK's emissions are such a tiny fraction of global that these massive sacrifices would essentially be for nought?

The UK's emissions are a tiny fraction of global emissions because we've outsourced the actual production of most of the shit we buy to elsewhere. But you knew that.

And, I presume, the XR people are kind of hoping their thing will spread to other countries.

Fambo Number Mive

Wouldn't a lot of the changes be at government level such as much more spending on renewables, improving public transport, cycling routes separate from pavements and roads etc.

biggytitbo

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 18, 2019, 03:26:50 PM
The UK's emissions are a tiny fraction of global emissions because we've outsourced the actual production of most of the shit we buy to elsewhere. But you knew that.

And, I presume, the XR people are kind of hoping their thing will spread to other countries.

What does reducing our emissions to zero by 2025 mean in practise then? Or are we now going to unpick the entire global economy in 6 years?

Do you want to tell the truth about what this would mean for people?

Buelligan

I thought people were something that has to be thrown under the bus sometimes when you're doing something big. 

Sin Agog

Would people be on board with that if they knew the truth? Especially when they learn the UK's emissions are such a tiny fraction of global that these massive sacrifices would essentially be for nought? Instead, isn't the real aim of for the UK to find a balance and gradually transition to a more sustainable energy model, rather than rushing to try and save the world?

Aren't you supposedly all for breaking the UK down into smaller, self-sustaining communities? That's not necessarily a bad idea, and I'm sure one that will leave businesses and lifestyles completely unaffected.

Interesting to see that you're now siding with the free market against these meddling kids. You really are like a dried leaf trapped in an idiot wind.

Cuellar

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 18, 2019, 03:29:26 PM

What does reducing our emissions to zero by 2025 mean in practise then? Or are we now going to unpick the entire global economy in 6 years?

Do you want to tell the truth about what this would mean for people?

That's just project fear

biggytitbo

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 18, 2019, 03:33:57 PM
Aren't you supposedly all for breaking the UK down into smaller, self-sustaining communities? That's not necessarily a bad idea, and I'm sure one that will leave businesses and lifestyles completely unaffected.

Now you're siding with the free market against these meddling kids?  You really are like a dried leaf in an idiot wind.

Where am I doing that? I'm saying if this is their manifesto they should 'tell the truth' about what it means.

Is that unreasonable?

Buelligan

Yes, they're not standing for election, they're not being paid, they owe us nothing. 

Sin Agog

I suspect they're taking the Malcolm X rather than the Luther King Jr route- overshooting their demands as an attempt to emphasise the severity of the problem/reach their goal quicker. Pretty frosty move from s'posedly feckless crusties. I'll take a few teething pains over total heat-death mesen.

Fambo Number Mive

Mirror says XR will shut down Heathrow tomorrow.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 18, 2019, 03:46:26 PM
Mirror says XR will shut down Heathrow tomorrow.

Coincidentally I just sold a drone that runs on chip fat oil on ebay for an arm and a leg.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 18, 2019, 03:46:19 PM
I suspect they're taking the Malcolm X rather than the Luther King Jr route- overshooting their demands as an attempt to emphasise the severity of the problem/reach their goal quicker. Pretty frosty move from s'posedly feckless crusties. I'll take a few teething pains over total heat-death mesen.

Yes that's exactly it. Shoot for the stars so you reach the sky.

phes

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on April 18, 2019, 03:45:42 PM
Yes, they're not standing for election, they're not being paid, they owe us nothing.

Nobody was standing for election at the EU referendum either, but as I'm sure you have pointed out a few times everyone involved is somewhat obliged to explain their demands and claims if they actually want them to happen. Do you think they should 'tell the truth' about what zero emissions by 2025 means for the UK?

Buelligan

What is the truth biggy (and how do you know it)?

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 18, 2019, 03:36:54 PM

Where am I doing that? I'm saying if this is their manifesto they should 'tell the truth' about what it means.

Is that unreasonable?

Priceless.

Have you ever read your contributions to the Brexit threads?

mothman

Quote from: Blumf on April 18, 2019, 02:31:19 PM
"But Shaman Greenman, how Baldrick eat Turnip all time? Such luxury. Is Baldrick powerful chieftain of big tribe?"

Wait - how come you get to have Ronalado in your cave? That's hardly fair. Could we work out a sharing arrangement?

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 18, 2019, 02:18:33 PM
Yep - I only have to look at the names of the people who are against them to know which side I'm on.

Otherwise known as the Pro-Brexit argument

Thank fuck Emma Thompson has flown in first class on a polluting jet from Hollywood to get her name in the headlines, that will really get everyone on side

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Except for a few important things you are naively passing over or conceitedly ignoring

- The targets are to scare politicians and fellow civilians into action and bring forward change, they don't all seriously believe or seek to reduce emissions to zero in 6 years. Your economic scaremongering is therefore irrelevant.
- It isn't intended to be a nationwide movement but a global one. Besides which, no nation is standing still. The target is an global one and therefore a net gain is a net gain, it benefits the globe. Once again your inability to think at a macro level, only parochial parochial parochial about the UK leaves you with a stunted vision
- Large scale crises, such as our environmental one, are a catalyst for technological breakthroughs which have historically offset any short term economic harm by transforming human activity and by consequence, productivity. There are plenty of reasons to believe humans making this their focus will move the world to the cusp of a post-capitalist one based on free democratised information sharing and transform Housing, both of which you are on record as favouring. This is clearly the type of change young Corbynites favour too.

biggytitbo

QuoteThe targets are to scare politicians and fellow civilians into action and bring forward change, they don't all seriously believe or seek to reduce emissions to zero in 6 years. Your economic scaremongering is therefore irrelevant.

Political and social scaremongering is OK but economic isn't it? Interesting.

I mean we appreciate this is a PR effort but the problem with that is fairly obvious - we already know, we're told we're teetering on the edge constantly, David Attenborough is on prime time telly telling us. They may as well be glueing themselves to public transport to protest that smoking kills.

jobotic

Yet you used to think it was a hoax. What changed your mind?

BlodwynPig

Emma Thompson - luvvie cunt

QuoteDame Emma, 60, said: "We are here in this little island of sanity and it makes me so happy to be able to join you all and to add my voice to the young people here who have inspired a whole new movement."
She joined the protests in London after flying from Los Angeles on Thursday